Potato sandwich recipe with step by step photos – to make these grilled sandwiches with a spiced potato stuffing is very easy. All you need are some boiled potatoes, spices, butter and bread.
Use any bread which you like or prefer for making these potato sandwiches. A day old bread is also fine. Homemade bread is better.
I have made these potato sandwiches with homemade whole wheat bread. I generally make a loaf of bread or pav/buns once a week. These get used up in making various snacks like sandwiches and sometimes desserts like a bread pudding. The pav or rolls are served with usal (sprouts curry) or Pav bhaji.
I have used the same recipe for the spiced potato stuffing masala, which I always make for Aloo paratha.
These potato sandwiches can be served with tomato ketchup or coriander chutney. They do make for a good breakfast/brunch or snack option.
How to make potato sandwich
1. Peel, mash the boiled potatoes and then add all the spices, herbs and salt. Mix well.
2. Butter the bread slices. Spread some of the spiced aloo masala or stuffing on the buttered bread slices.
3. top with grated cheese if required.
4. Cover with the remaining buttered bread slices. spread butter on the top of the slices.
5. in a pre heated grill, place the potato sandwich carefully with the buttered side facing down, making sure your hands don’t touch the grill (be careful when doing this. If you cannot do this then just skip the above step. Instead spread butter once the sandwiches are grilled). Now spread butter on the top side which is facing you.
6. grill for 2-3 minutes till the potato sandwiches are crisp and golden.
7. Serve potato sandwich with tomato ketchup or coriander chutney.
Few more Potato sandwich recipes are:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 8 to 10 bread slices
- 2 to 3 medium potatoes - boiled and mashed
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped finely
- ¼ teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder or deghi mirch (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon of garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder) or as required
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ to 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- salted butter at room temperature as required
- rock salt or sendha namak or regular salt as required
- grated cheddar cheese as required (optional)
- Boil or steam potatoes till they are cooked very well and can be easily mashed.
- Drain and peel them. Mash them when they are still hot or warm.
making potato sandwich
- Add all the herbs and spices powders - chopped green chilies, coriander leaves, red chili powder, garam masala powder, dry mango powder, cumin powder and salt. Mix very well.
- Check the seasoning and add more of salt, red chili powder, dry mango powder if required.
- Spread butter on half of the bread slices.
- Take some portion of the potato stuffing and spread it on the buttered bread slices.
- Optional step - sprinkle some grated cheese.
- Cover the bread slices with the remaining buttered slices.
- Spread some butter on the top of the bread sandwiches.
- Place the sandwiches buttered side down in a preheated grill carefully.
- Now spread butter on the top of the bread slices facing you.
- Cover the grill and grill for 2-3 minutes or till the sandwiches are golden and crisp.
- Serve potato sandwich hot with tomato sauce or cilantro chutney or both.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.