aloo gobi matar recipe with step by step photos – lightly spiced delicious curry made with cauliflower, peas and potatoes.
this aloo gobi matar is an onion-tomato based curry made with these three veggies. this dish is truly a delight to have with some rotis or naan or even steamed rice.
the north indians love their aloo gobi, aloo matar, gajar matar, aloo gajar matar and also their aloo gobi matar. sometimes i think that aloo and gobi is their favorite as they love aloo paratha as well as gobi paratha.
this aloo gobi matar recipe is a slight variation of the recipe that we make at home and thus you have more deliciousness on your table.
now this is a gravy recipe of aloo gobi matar and not a dry version. will also post the dry version in some time.
if you are looking for more gobi recipes then do check:
aloo gobi matar recipe below:
aloo gobi matar recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
for aloo gobi matar curry
- 2 cup cauliflower florets (gobi)
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and chopped (aloo)
- 1 or 1.5 cups peas, fresh or frozen (matar)
- 2 small tej patta or 1 large tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 or 2 green chilies, slit (hari mirch)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves, crushed (kasuri methi)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- few coriander leaves for garnishing (dhania patta)
- salt as required
for the masala paste
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 medium size tomatoes, chopped
- ½ inch ginger (adrak)
- 3 to 4 garlic (lahsun)
how to make aloo gobi matar recipe
preparation for aloo gobi matar
- firstly, rinse and chop all the veggies.
- keep the cauliflower florets in salted water for 15-20 minutes. then drain the florets and keep aside.
- blend the the onion, tomatoes, ginger and garlic till smooth in a blender with no water or very little water.
making aloo gobi matar
- heat oil in a pan. fry the cumin first with the bay leaves.
- add the chopped onions and fry till light brown. add the ground onion-tomato paste
- stir and then add all the spice powders, one by one.
- fry the masala till the oil starts to leave the sides.
- keep on stirring so that the masala does not stick to the pan.
- this might take around 7-9 minutes.
- now add the cauliflower florets, potatoes and peas.
- add 3 cups water and stir the curry.
- finally add the slit green chilies and salt. let the whole curry come to a boil.
then cover with a lid and let aloo gobi matar curry simmer till the veggies are cooked.
- finally add crushed kasuri methi leaves
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve aloo gobi matar hot with some chapatis or steamed rice.
- you can also cook this aloo gobi matar curry in a pressure cooker. for cooking in a pressure cooker add 2 or 2.5 cups water instead of 3 cups water.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - aloo gobi matar recipe on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make aloo gobi matar recipe:
1. firstly, rinse and chop all the veggies like cauliflower and potatoes.
2. keep 2 cups of cauliflower florets in salted water for 15-20 minutes. this is to remove any insects from it, if any.
3. then drain the florets and keep aside.
4. chop onion, tomatoes, ginger and garlic for the paste.
5. add ½ cup chopped onion, 3 medium sized chopped tomatoes, ½ inch chopped ginger and 3 to 4 chopped garlic in a blender.
6. blend with no water or very little water. blend till smooth.
7. keep this onion-tomato paste aside.
8. heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan. fry ½ teaspoon cumin first with the 1 to 2 bay leaves.
9. fry till cumin gets brown.
10. add ¼ cup chopped onions.
11. fry the onions till light brown.
12. add the ground onion-tomato paste.
13. stir the ground paste and mix well.
14. add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon red chili powder.
15. next add 1 teaspoon coriander powder and ½ teaspoon garam masala powder.
16. stir all spices and mix well.
17. fry the masala.
18. you have to saute the masala till the oil starts to leave the sides.
19. keep on stirring so that the masala does not stick to the pan. this might take around 7-9 minutes.
20. now add the cauliflower florets. also add 1 to 1.5 cups of green peas (matar).
21. next add 2 cups of chopped potatoes.
22. add 3 cups water.
23. stir the curry.
24. finally add 1 to 2 slit green chilies.
25. add salt as required.
26. let the whole curry come to a boil.
27. then cover with a lid and let the curry simmer till the veggies are cooked.
28. finally add 1 teaspoon crushed kasuri methi leaves (dry fenugreek leaves).
29. garnish with few coriander leaves.
serve aloo gobi matar hot with some chapatis or steamed rice.