Potato roast Recipe with step by step photos – Potato roast or Aloo roast recipe is simplicity at its best. This recipe is quick and easy to prepare and serve the purpose of a spicy side dish. All you need is to boil the potatoes and roast them with the spice powders. A vegan dish.
This potato roast recipe is also good when you want to prepare a side dish on short notice. Another similar South Indian potato recipe which can also be made as a side dish is Potato podimas. both these potato recipes does not require much cooking skills and can be prepared by bachelors also. You can also check spicy Mushroom roast made in North Indian style.
In this recipe I have used sambar powder to give that added zing. If you don’t have sambar powder just make the recipe with red chili powder and turmeric powder. This recipe is slightly spicy and hot, so you can reduce the spices as per your preference. This is also a no onion no garlic recipe.
You can serve potato roast as a side dish with sambar rice or rasam rice or dal rice combo.
How to make potato roast
1. Boil or steam 2 to 3 medium-sized potatoes till they are just cooked. They should not fall apart.
2. Peel the potatoes.
3. Once the boiled potatoes cool then dice them.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Crackle ½ teaspoon mustard seeds first.
5. Then add the curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
6. Add the diced potatoes and stir.
7. Sprinkle all the spice powders, asafoetida and salt.
8. Stir well, so that the masala coats the potatoes well. Saute for 5 to 6 mins on a low flame.
9. Keep on turning at intervals to ensure even crisping and roasting of the potatoes.
10. You can also garnish the roasted potatoes with coriander leaves (if you prefer).
Serve potato roast as a side dish with sambar rice, rasam rice or dal rice combo.
More Potato recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
- 2 to 3 medium sized potatoes or 6 to 7 small potatoes
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon sambar powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Boil or steam the potatoes till they are just cooked. They should not fall apart.
- Peel the potatoes and dice them.
making potato roast
- Heat oil in a pan. Crackle the mustard seeds first.
- Then add the curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the diced potatoes and stir.
- Sprinkle all the spice powders, asafoetida and salt.
- Stir well, so that the masala coats the potatoes well. Saute for 5 to 6 mins on a low flame.
- Keep on turning at intervals to ensure even crisping and roasting of the potatoes.
- You can also garnish the roasted potatoes with coriander leaves (if you prefer).
- Serve potato roast as a side dish with sambar rice, rasam rice or dal rice combo.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later