Aloo raita with step by step photos. Aloo raita is a simple and easy raita variant made with boiled potatoes, curd (yogurt) mint leaves, coriander leaves and spices. It makes for an excellent side dish for Biryani, Pulao or any rice based dish.
I often make rice dishes like pulao at home. So along with trying out different varieties of pulao, I also try out varieties of raita. We always prefer veg pulao or veg biryani with a raita. Specially during summers we prefer to have raita or yogurt as a side dish.
This aloo raita accompanies any rice based dish very well. I have kept it savory as I was serving the raita with Methi Pulao.
But then you can even add sweet tamarind chutney to it, sprinkle with some boondi or sev and have it as a chaat snack. You can also add sugar to the raita if you want a sweet taste.
You can be innovative to make this raita as per your taste preferences. This way with a simple raita as a side dish you can perk up your entire meal and make it more flavorful.
If you have some leftover boiled potatoes then this recipe becomes quicker. Infact this recipe is a good way to use boiled potatoes that are left after making potatoes recipes like Aloo Paratha. Instead of boiling potatoes you can also pan fry them and use them in this dish.
You can make this aloo raita on Navratri fasting or any other fasting day also like Ekadashi or Mahashivratri fast. If you don’t use red chilli powder on fasting days then skip adding it. As some people add red chilli powder on Navratri fasting and some don’t.
How to make Aloo Raita
1. Firstly boil 2 medium or 1 large-sized potato in stovetop pressure cooker or steamer or Instant pot or electric cooker adding water as needed.
Drain all the water and allow the potatoes to become warm. Then peel and chop them. You will need about ¾ cup of boiled chopped potatoes.
2. In a bowl, whisk 1 cup fresh curd (yogurt) till smooth and keep aside.
3. Add the chopped potatoes.
4. Then add the following dry spice powders:
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp chaat masala powder.
- Also add salt as required. You can also use black salt or pink salt.
You can adjust the amount of spices as per your taste. Instead of red chili powder, you can also add chopped green chilies.
5. Stir and mix the spices very well with the curd.
6. Then add 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves and ½ tablespoon chopped mint leaves.
7. Stir and mix again. Serve aloo raita with a veg pulao or veg biryani or any flavored Indian rice like Jeera Rice or biryani rice or saffron rice.
If not serving immediately, then refrigerate the raita. You can serve this potato raita chilled or at room temperature.
Garnish with coriander or mint sprigs while serving. You can also sprinkle some boondi or sev while serving the aloo ka raita. It accompanies most Indian vegetarian meals very well.
If you are looking for more Raita recipes then do check:
Please be sure to rate this recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
- 1 cup Curd (yogurt) or 250 grams curd
- 2 medium or 1 large potato or ⅔ to ¾ cup chopped boiled potatoes or 125 to 150 grams potato
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder or as required
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon chaat masala, add as required
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- ½ tablespoon chopped mint leaves or 4 to 5 mint leaves – chopped
- salt as required
- Firstly boil 2 medium or 1 large potato in pressure cooker or steamer or electric cooker adding water as required.
- Later drain all the water and let the potatoes become warm. Then peel and chop the potatoes.
- In a bowl, whisk 1 cup fresh curd till smooth and keep aside.
- Add the chopped potatoes.
- Then add the dry spices – roasted cumin powder, red chili powder and chaat masala powder. Also add salt as required. You can also use black salt.
- Stir and mix very well.
- Then add chopped coriander leaves and chopped mint leaves.
- Stir again and serve aloo raita with a veg pulao or any flavored indian rice dish like cumin rice or saffron rice or biryani rice. If not serving immediately, then refrigerate the potato raita and serve it chilled. Finish the raita on the same day.
- Garnish with coriander or mint sprigs while serving. You can also sprinkle some boondi or sev while serving the raita.
- Instead of red chili powder you can use chopped green chili.
- For vegan potato raita you can use cashew yogurt or almond yogurt or any plant-based yogurt.
- The recipe can be scaled as per your needs.
- Instead of using boiled potatoes, you can also pan-fry the potatoes.
- The amount of spices can be adjusted as per your needs.
- If you prefer then you can add some sugar to it.
Chaat masala – dry pomegranate seeds powder or dry mango powder/amchur.
Red chili powder – cayenne pepper or green chilies
Potato – sweet potato
Nutrition Info (Approximate values)
This Aloo Raita post from the archives (March 2015) has been updated and republished on 23 October 2021.