Aloo raita or Potato raita recipe with step by step photos – simple and easy raita made with boiled potatoes.
I often make rice dishes like pulaos at home. So along with trying out different varieties of pulao, I also try out varieties of raita. We always prefer veg pulao or veg biryani with a raita. the norm is to make Onion raita or Boondi raita which are our favorites. But sometimes I skip making these raitas and try different recipes.
This aloo raita accompanies any rice based dish very well. I have kept it savory as I was serving the raita with methi rice. But then you can even add sweet imli chutney to it, sprinkle with some boondi or sev and have as a chaat snack. You can also add sugar to the raita if you want a sweet taste.
You can make this aloo raita on Navratri fasting or any other fasting day also. If you don’t use red chilli powder on fasting days then skip adding it. As some people add red chilli powder on Navratri fasting and some don’t.
Step by step potato raita or aloo raita
1. Firstly boil 2 medium or 1 large potato in pressure cooker or steamer. Peel and chop the potatoes. About ¾ cup of boiled chopped potatoes.
2. In a bowl, whisk 1 cup fresh curd till smooth and keep aside.
3. Add the chopped potatoes.
4. Then add the dry spices – ½ tsp roasted cumin powder, ¼ tsp red chili powder, ¼ to ½ tsp chaat masala powder. Also add salt as required. You can also use black salt. Do adjust the amount of spices as per your taste. instead of red chili powder, you can also add chopped green chilies.
5. Stir the spices very well with the curd.
6. Then add 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and ½ tbsp chopped mint leaves.
7. Stir again and Serve aloo raita with a veg pulao or any flavored Indian rice like jeera rice. If not serving immediately, then refrigerate the raita. Garnish with coriander or mint sprigs while serving. You can also sprinkle some boondi or sev while serving the potato raita.
If you are looking for more Raita recipes then do check:
- 1 cup curd (dahi or yogurt) or 250 grams dahi
- 2 medium or 1 large potato or ⅔ to ¾ cup chopped boiled potatoes or 125 to 150 grams potato
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) or as required
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon chaat masala, add as required
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ½ tablespoon chopped mint leaves or 4 to 5 mint leaves (pudina patta) - chopped
- salt as required
- Firstly boil 2 medium or 1 large potato in pressure cooker or steamer. Peel and chop the potatoes.
- In a bowl, whisk 1 cup fresh curd till smooth and keep aside.
- Add the chopped potatoes.
- Then add the dry spices - 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder, 1/4 tsp red chili powder, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp chaat masala powder. Also add salt as required. You can also use black salt.
- Stir very well.
- Then add 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and 1/2 tbsp chopped mint leaves.
- Stir again and serve aloo raita with a veg pulao or any flavored indian rice. If not serving immediately, then refrigerate the potato raita. Garnish with coriander or mint sprigs while serving. You can also sprinkle some boondi or sev while serving the raita.
Chaat masala - dry pomegranate seeds powder or dry mango powder/amchur.
Red chili powder - cayenne pepper or green chilies
Potato - sweet potato