hara bhara kabab recipe with step by step photos and video – hara bhara kabab is a recipe which is so easy to prepare and full on with the goodness of spinach. i have seen this dish on the menu list of many north indian restaurants. a couple of times we have had the these kababs outside and they were ok.
so when i had got a lot of spinach for making sarson ka saag, and they were still leftover, i decided to make this green kabab. if you have leftover spinach, then you can check this collection of 29 spinach recipes.
true to its name hara bhara kabab boosts of green health. made from spinach, peas and potatoes it is nutritious as well as delicious. great with any chutney or sauce.
to go with the kababs i had made a green garlic chutney from garlic chives. you can serve it with mint chutney or coriander chutney or any green chutney. this is also a great gluten-free as well as a vegetarian snack for all those who like kababs.
two more tasty kabab recipes on blog are:
hara bhara kabab is an easy finger food that can be served as a brunch or also as a starter. one which is light and not heavy. hara bhara kebab can also be stuffed into sandwiches or burgers. great way to disguise the spinach, so that kids can have it too.
hara bhara kabab recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 cups spinach leaves (palak)
- 2 medium size potatoes (aloo)
- 1 cup peas (matar), fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1 teaspoon amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- 2 teaspoons ginger-green chili paste, adjust as per your spice requirements
- 3 tablespoons besan (gram flour)
- salt as required
- 2 to 3 tablespoons oil for pan frying the kababs, add as required
how to make hara bhara kabab recipe
blanch the spinach in hot water for 2 minutes. drain and keep them in a cold water for 1 minute.
finely chop the spinach and keep aside.
making hara bhara kabab
roast besan (gram flour) in a small pan till it becomes aromatic and changes its color. don't over roast or darken the gram flour.
steam or boil the potatoes and peas. in a bowl take the chopped spinach. grate the boiled potatoes in the bowl. add the peas & green-chili paste.
mash the kabab mixture with a potato masher or with a wooden spoon.
add all the dry spice powder, roasted gram flour and salt. mix the kabab mixture uniformly.
shape into round patties and shallow or pan fry the kababs till golden brown.
serve hara bhara kabab hot with chutney or sauce.
tips for making hara bhara kabab
- the spice powders namely chaat masala and amchur powder can be adjusted as suited.
- for binding instead of gram flour, corn flour or corn starch can also be used.
- these kababs can also be baked as well as grilled. you can bake kababs at 180 degrees C which is moderate oven temperature. brush some oil on the kebabs. just place the kebabs on a tray or wired rack and bake for 20-25 mins or till the kebabs get browned from the top. you can changes the sides after 10-15 minutes of baking. better to bake both the sides of hara bhara kebab.
- if you don't have chaat masala, then just add garam masala powder and reduce the quantity to 1/2 teaspoon.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - hara bhara kabab recipe on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
preparation for hara bhara kabab
1: firstly steam and boil the potatoes and peas.
2: rinse the spinach leaves in water and drain.
3: boil water with some salt (optional). add the spinach leaves and keep in the hot water for 2 minutes. this step is blanching the spinach leaves.
4: drain and keep the spinach leaves in cold water for 1 minute. this is so that the spinach retain their greenness.
5: drain the spinach well and squeeze if there is extra water. later chop the spinach finely and keep aside.
making hara bhara kabab
6: meanwhile roast gram flour in a pan.
7: stir till you get a nutty fragrance and the gram flour changes its color. keep aside.
8: in a bowl add the chopped spinach. grate the boiled potatoes over it.
9: now add the cooked peas, ginger-chilli paste.
10: mash the kebab mixture with a potato masher.
11: now add the roasted gram flour and the spice powders plus salt.
12: mix very well. your hands will be sticky if there was moisture in the spinach. in this case apply some oil to your palms when shaping the kebabs. shape into medium sized patties.
13: shallow fry or pan fry the hara bhara kebabs with some oil.
14: fry the kebabs till they become golden browned and crisp from outside.
15: serve hara bhara kabab hot with mint chutney or coriander chutney or tomato sauce.