Bel ka sharbat recipe with step by step photos – a summer cooling drink is this bel ka sherbet. Bel fruit is also known as bengal quince, stone apple or wood apple. These round shaped hard skinned fruits have a mushy and soft pulp within. The aroma is like a peachy aroma. The taste is sweetish sour. Read more about bael fruit here on Wikipedia.
Bael tree along with bael fruit and bel leaves are considered sacred. bael leaves are offered to lord shiva. I have a small bael shrub growing in my balcony garden. At times, I offer the bael leaves from this shrub to the shivling which I have kept in the sacred space of my home.
Bael has a lot of health benefits. it helps in digestion and helpful in getting rid of ulcers and constipation. It also helps in blood purification. Its also cooling for the body. Read more Here.
Few more traditional cooling beverages are:
To prepare the sharbat, you will need ripe bel fruits. The pulp is removed and then mashed. The mixture is strained and then sugar or jaggery is added.
Serve bel ka sharbat as a cooling drink. the remaining sherbet you can refrigerate and consume within a few hours.
If you are looking for more Indian drinks then do check:
bel ka sharbat recipe
- 3 small to medium sized bel fruit (bengal quince or stone apple or wood apple)
- 3 to 3.5 cups chilled water
- 12 tablespoons jaggery or add as required
- ⅓ teaspoon cardamom powder (choti elaichi powder)
- ⅓ teaspoon of roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- 2 pinches black salt
- First take the bel fruits and with a rolling pin (belan) hit all around. For this recipe I have used 3 medium sized bel fruits.
- You will see the outer hard shell cracking. Open the hard shell and you will see a brown colored pulp.
- With a spoon scoop out the soft pulp.
- Add the scooped soft pulp in a bowl.
- Then add 1 cup water.
- Soak this mixture for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, with a veggie masher, mash the pulp. Mash very well.
- Then using a strainer, strain the mashed mixture in parts. Also overall add about ½ to ¾ cup water while straining.
- With a spoon stir so that the mixture is strained well.
- Once the mixture is strained, then add 12 tablespoons jaggery. You can also add sugar. Both jaggery and water can be adjusted as per your requirements.
- Then add roasted cumin powder, cardamon powder and 2 pinches of black salt.
- Mix very well.
- Pour in glasses and serve bel sherbet. You can make the bel sherbet thin or thick by adding more or less water.
How to make bel ka sherbet recipe
1. First take the bel fruits and with a rolling pin (belan) hit all around it. For this recipe I have used 2 small and 1 medium sized bel fruits.
2. You will see the outer hard shell cracking. Open the hard shell and you will see a light brown colored pulp.
3. With a spoon, scoop out the soft pulp.
4. Add the scooped soft pulp in a bowl or pan.
5. Then add 1 cup chilled water. Mix and then soak this mixture for 20 minutes.
6. after 20 minutes, with a veggie masher, mash the pulp.
7. mash very well.
8. Then using a strainer, strain the mashed mixture in parts. Do not use a fine strainer.
9. With a spoon stir so that the mixture is strained well.
10. While straining, add water also. Overall add about ½ to ¾ cup water while straining.
11. continue to stir with a spoon so that the fine pulp is extracted and the seeds and coarse fibres are kept behind.
12. this is what remains after the pulp is strained well – seeds and some coarse fibres.
13. Here is the strained bel pulp.
Making bael sharbat
14. Now add 12 tablespoons jaggery. You can also add sugar. Both jaggery and water can be adjusted as per your requirements.
15. Then add ⅓ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder).
16. Next add ⅓ teaspoon cardamon powder and 2 pinches of black salt.
17. Mix very well.
18. Pour in glasses and Serve bel ka sherbet. you can make the bel sherbet thin or thick by adding more or less water.