collection of top 30 indian sweets recipes – we all look forward to have a dessert at the end of a meal. its a human tendency to end everything on a sweet happy note. be a bollywood movie or our everyday meal or retiring to bed to have a good night sleep.
sweets and desserts are intrinsic part of most indian meals. indian thalis usually has at least one sweet item. some of the dishes served in a thali are kheer, payasam, gulab jamun, barfi etc. according to traditional ayurvedic wisdom our meal should have all the six tastes – sweet, sour, salty, astringent, pungent & bitter.
indians cusine is very rich and diverse. there are thousands of recipes and every region has their own specialty. e.g. mysore pak is one of the most popular sweet from south india. here in this post, i have shared top indian sweets posted on the blog which are a favorite with readers.
you can also check these popular sweets recipes collections:
- 12 barfi recipes
- 35 halwa recipes
- 26 ladoo recipes
- 31 kheer recipes
- top 20 eggless cakes
- 121 diwali sweets recipes
top 30 indian sweets recipes
1. kaju katli – kaju katli (cashew fudge) is a most sought after indian sweet at home. these kaju katli are the way they are actually meant to be – thin, smooth, melt in the mouth slices of cashew goodness.
2. gulab jamun – easy recipe to make delicious melt in the mouth gulab jamun with khoya and paneer. this gulab jamun recipe from my home science notes is a tried and tested recipe and has never failed. there are many variations of making gulab jamun and one such popular variation is kala jamun.
3. mysore pak – popular and super delicious indian sweet from the city of mysore. it is made with just 3 main ingredients – besan, ghee and sugar.
4. rasgulla recipe – rasgulla is a popular bengali sweet made from milk. in this recipe post, i have shared the method of making soft, spongy and delicious rasgulla recipe with plenty of tips and suggestions so that it is easier for everybody to make this sweet at home.
5. jalebi recipe – amongst the array of indian sweets, jalebi holds a prime position. this jalebi recipe gives you one of the best homemade jalebis – crisp, crunchy, syrupy and juicy jalebi. the jalebi method shared here is the traditional method for making jalebis and is similar to the taste and texture of jalebis which we get in the mithai shops.
6. rava kesari – a popular and delicious south indian sweet made from rava (semolina), ghee, dry fruits and saffron. rava kesari’s north indian counterpart is sooji halwa which is also equally popular and tastes good. in maharashtra and gujarat this same dish is called as sheera.
7. besan ladoo – a popular ladoo made from gram flour, powdered sugar and ghee. besan ladoo is an easy and healthy sweet which is made all over india. two more sweets recipes you can make with besan are:
8. semiya payasam – semiya payasam is one of the easiest sweets that can be made for any festive occasion. semiya are vermicelli and payasam akins to pudding. making semiya payasam does not take much time and the entire dish can be brought together in a matter of about 20 to 25 minutes. the north indian countepart of semiya payasam is seviyan kheer. two more sweet recipes which can be made with semiya are:
9. malpua recipe – malpua is a traditional north indian sweet of soft, fluffy and yet crisp pancakes coated with sugar syrup and served with rabri or thickened sweetened milk. serving malpua with rabri is optional. if you like rabri then you can check this detailed step by step rabri recipe.
10. seven cup burfi – easy and delicious south indian sweet made with gram flour, ghee, fresh coconut, milk and sugar. it is often made for festive or religious occasion.
11. coconut ladoo – quick, easy and tasty coconut ladoo recipe made with fresh coconut, condensed milk and cardamom powder. there are many variations of making coconut ladoos like:
- instant coconut ladoo – this is a 2 ingredient delicious ladoo made with sweetened condensed milk and desiccated coconut powder.
- coconut ladoo with khoya – made with fresh grated coconut and khoya (mawa).
- nariyal ke ladoo – made with desiccated coconut and sugar syrup.
- narkel naru – delicious coconut ladoo from the bengali cuisine made with fresh grated coconut and jaggery.
12. barfi recipe – a really easy and quick recipe of burfi made with khoya or mawa. it took me just about 20 minutes to make this barfi right from the preparation to the cooking.
13. carrot halwa – a traditional slow cooked recipe of making delicious carrot halwa with just carrots, milk, ghee, sugar and a few dry fruits.
14. shahi tukda – a rich, royal mughlai dessert of fried sugar syrup coated bread topped and soaked with fragrant creamy sweet thickened milk or rabri and garnished with dry fruits. one piece of a traditionally made shahi tukda will give you a feeling of royalty. its a royal piece of a dessert that is fit for a king or queen or for you :-). rich in taste, aroma, flavor and calories.
15. kulfi recipe – a simple and easy recipe of delicious kulfi made with khoya and dry fruits. try this kulfi recipe and you will love it for its ease, simplicity and a great taste and texture. two more kulfi recipes posted on blog are:
16. kalakand recipe – kalakand is a rich milk cake. one of the popular indian sweets. the traditional way of making kalakand is a long one and takes some time. this kalkand is a 15 minute quick recipe. only two ingredients are required – sweetened condensed milk and paneer.
17. moong dal halwa – addictive and delicious halwa made from mung lentils. a popular and rich halwa recipe from north india. moong dal halwa is usually made on celebratory or festive occasions like holi, diwali, marriages etc. two more sweets recipes you can prepare with moong dal are:
18. eggless chocolate cake – this is a moist and light chocolate cake recipe made with whole wheat flour and without eggs. the cake is soft and moist and can be used a base cake for various chocolate frostings.
19. aval payasam – delicious poha kheer or payasam made with flattened rice, ghee and milk.
20. rava ladoo – a popular indian sweet made during festivals. this rava ladoo recipe is made with rava (sooji or semolina), coconut, powdered sugar, dry fruits and ghee.
21. modak recipe – ukadiche modak is a traditional maharashtrian steamed sweet dish offered to lord ganesha on the occasion of ganesh chaturthi festival. few more sweets recipes made during ganesh chaturthi festival are:
- fried modak
- patholi recipe
- banana sheera
- chocolate modak
- kozhukattai recipe (south indian recipe variation of modaks).
22. doodh peda recipe – this peda recipe made with khoya or mawa is one of the popular indian sweets. you will get milk peda in any mithai shop in india. making peda with khoya is easy, quick and does not take much time. these milk pedas taste super delicious and are just like the pedas you get in mithai shops.
23. coconut burfi – an easy and tasty recipe of coconut burfi made with condensed milk. the coconut burfi had a melt in the mouth soft texture. you can also make coconut ladoos with the same mixture.
24. rice kheer – rice kheer is a popular indian sweet dessert made with basmati rice, milk, nuts and saffron. rice kheer is easy to make and is made with a one pan or one pot method. in south india also rice kheer is made and is called as rice payasam there. rice payasam can be made both with milk and coconut milk.
25. badam halwa – a rich south indian style delicious halwa made with blanched almonds, ghee and sugar. the recipe gives a really good badam halwa, which has the right sweetness and a lovely texture which is not soft and firm. but kind of between. one which gives a heavenly feeling when you savor the halwa. this is a heavy dessert and just a few spoons of it is enough. two more sweet recipes you can make with badam are:
26. cham cham sweet – cham cham also known as chum chum is again one of those classic sweets from bengal. to make chum chum is easy but does take time. the method of making cham cham sweet is similar to that of making rasgulla. in this cham cham recipe, i have filled them with a sweet stuffing. but this is an optional step and you can skip it.
27. motichoor ladoo – melt in the mouth ladoos made from gram flour. motichoor ladoo is one of the most popular indian sweet and also made during festive time. another similar and equally popular ladoo variety is boondi ladoo.
28. double ka meetha – easy and delicious recipe of hyderabadi style double ka meetha made with sweetened condensed milk. double ka meetha is a popular dessert from the hyderabadi cuisine. this sweet dish is known as double ka meetha as bread is used to make it. bread or pav is also called as double roti in a few indian states. hence the name ‘double ka meetha’ which means a sweet dish made from bread. basically its a sweet pudding made from bread.
29. sabudana kheer – sweet pudding made with tapioca pearls or sabudana and milk. we generally make sabudana kheer during the navratri festival or during some of the fasting or vrat days. this is a popular indian pudding that is made with tapioca pearls for religious fasting days.
30. ice cream recipe – this ice cream recipe is an easy and quick version of delicious vanilla ice cream made with only 3 ingredients. no cook, no churn and no ice cream maker required. few more delicious ice cream recipes you may like are: