beetroot halwa recipe with step by step photos – this is one of those halwa which i have grown up eating. we used to make beetroot halwa and gajar halwa on most festive occasions.
beetroot halwa is not as popular as carrot or sooji halwa but many people like it. it is very nutritious and healthy. excellent for kids who are usually not fond of beetroots. another way you can introduce beetroot to kids is by including them in chaat recipes. fresh grated beetroot goes well in the chaat. few more beetroot recipes on the blog are:
the method to make beetroot halwa is same as making carrot halwa recipe. the halwa has a beautiful color and looks good. you can make it more nutritious by addition of dry fruits. i have added cashews and flavored it with crushed cardamom powder. apart from cashews, you can also add raisins. i have also shared a quick version of beetroot halwa using mawa.
the only difference in gajar halwa and beetroot halwa is the taste, and the texture of beetroot halwa is moist. even though the other ingredients used are same, the taste of beetroot is visible in the halwa. so some folks might like gajar halwa more, some might prefer beetroot halwa.
beetroot halwa recipe below:
beetroot halwa recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 500 grams beetroot OR about 3 cups grated beetroot
- 3 cups full fat whole milk
- 6 tablespoon regular sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar - adjust as required
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- 5 to 6 green cardamom crushed and powdered finely in a mortar-pestle - OR about ⅓ teaspoon cardamom powder (choti elaichi powder)
- 15 to 20 whole cashews (kaju)
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins (kishmish) - optional
how to make recipe
rinse, peel and grate the beetroots.
in a kadai or deep thick bottomed pan combine milk and grated beetroot.
on a low to medium flame, bring the whole mixture to a boil and then simmer.
keep on stirring at intervals when the mixture comes to a boil and later simmers.
the grated beetroots will cook in the milk and the milk will start to reduce and evaporate.
when the milk has 75% to 80% reduced, add the ghee, sugar to the halwa mixture.
stir well and continue to simmer and cook on a low flame.
do keep on stirring the beetroot halwa in between.
towards the end, add the cashews, cardamom powder and raisins (if using) and simmer till all the milk is evaporated. switch off the burner.
serve beetroot halwa hot, warm or you can also serve it cold.
lets start step by step beetroot halwa recipe:
1. rinse, peel and grate the beetroots. you can either use a hand held grater or a food processor to grate the beetroots.
2. take the grated beetroots in a thick bottomed kadai or pan. add milk.
3. mix and cook the grated beetroot and milk mixture on a low to medium flame.
4. the milk will boil and froth whilst cooking. continue to cook and keep stirring often.
5. when almost 75% to 80% of the milk has reduced, add ghee and sugar. stir and continue to simmer the halwa till its almost done.
6. towards the end, add cardamom powder.
7. add the cashews.
8. stir and continue to cook till the milk has evaporated.
9. serve beetroot halwa hot or warm. you can also refrigerate the halwa for 3 to 4 days and then while serving, just warm the halwa. for more delicious beetroot recipes, you can check this link – 14 beetroot recipes.