Meethi seviyan recipe with step by step photos. Sharing a sweet dessert made from seviyan (whole wheat vermicelli), ghee, milk, dry fruits and sugar. There’s absolutely no fuss in making this sweet dish. All you have to do is simmer the seviyan with the rest of the ingredients till it softens and is well cooked. You can add to the richness by increasing the quantity of dry fruits in it.
Seviyan is also known as semiyan in the Hindi language. This is a quick dessert recipe that is done in less than 20 minutes. Sweet vermicelli is usually made during festive occasions. There are few more delicious sweet recipes you can make with seviyan like:
I get nostalgic when making meethi seviyan as we enjoyed eating them as kids. My mom used to make them quite often with milk. We used to have them as a sweet evening snack. However, you can have them as an after meal dessert also.
In this dry seviyan recipe, I have used milk. Though you can also cook seviyan with water. You could add dry fruits of your choice in this meethi seviyan recipe. I have used pre roasted whole wheat thin vermicelli for the seviyan and then further fried in ghee for even browning.
This sweet seviyan recipe has one more ingredient which makes it more flavorful. That ingredient is milk powder. Milk powder gives an added flavor and taste to any dessert. But if you want, you can skip milk powder for this recipe.
How to make Meethi Seviyan
1. Firstly keep all the ingredients ready for the seviyan. Break the seviyan and keep aside.
2. Chop the dry fruits and place them aside. You can add dry fruits of your choice.
3. Heat a pan and then add 1 tablespoon of ghee.
4. Let the ghee melt and then add 1 cup of the broken seviyan.
5. On a low to medium heat, with frequent stirrings, roast the seviyan till they become golden. Since I used pre roasted seviyan, I didn’t have to roast the seviyan much.
However, if you use seviyan which is not roasted, then you will need to roast for some more time.
Making meethi seviyan
6. Then add all the chopped dry fruits and raisins.
7. Stir them nicely.
8. Lower the heat and pour 2 cups of milk. Instead of milk, you can also add water.
9. Stir and mix very well. Then continue to stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
10. Now add ¼ cup of sugar.
11. Keep stirring the mixture.
12. Add ¼ cup of milk powder. If you do not have milk powder, then just skip it.
13. Mix again.
14. Sprinkle ½ tsp cardamom powder and stir well.
15. The mixture will start thickening and the seviyan will also begin to absorb milk. When all the milk has been absorbed, switch off the gas.
16. Serve meethi seviyan hot or warm or chilled. You can even garnish with some sliced dry fruits while serving.
If you are looking for more Desserts recipes then do check:
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Meethi Seviyan | Sweet Vermicelli | Dry Seviyan
- 1 tablespoon Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 cup of broken vermicelli (seviyan)
- 2 cups of milk or 500 ml milk
- ¼ cup sugar or add as per taste
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ¼ cup milk powder
- 10-12 raisins
- 4 to 5 almonds sliced thinly
- 4 to 5 pistachios sliced thinly
- 4 to 5 cashews sliced thinly
preparation for meethi seviyan
- Firstly keep all the ingredients ready for making meethi seviyan. Break the seviyan and keep aside.
- Chop the dry fruits and place aside.
making meethi seviyan
- Heat a pan and then add 1 tbsp ghee.
- Let the ghee melt and then add 1 cup of the broken seviyan.
- On a low to medium flame, with frequent stirring roast the seviyan till they become golden. Since I used pre roasted seviyan, I didn’t have to roast the seviyan much. However, if you use seviyan which is not roasted, then you will need to roast for some more time.
- Add all the chopped dry fruits and raisins. Stir them nicely.
- Lower the flame and pour 2 cups of milk. Instead of milk you can also add water.
- Stir and mix very well. Then continue to stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add ¼ cup of sugar. Keep stirring the mixture.
- Add ¼ cup of milk powder. If you do not have milk powder, then just skip it. Mix again
- Sprinkle ½ tsp cardamom powder and stir well.
- The mixture will start thickening and the seviyan will also begin to absorb milk. When all the milk has been absorbed, switch off the gas.
- Serve meethi seviyan hot or warm or chilled. You can even garnish with some sliced dry fruits while serving
- You could double or triple the recipe if you need more quantity.
- Allow the seviyan to absorb the milk and become dry. Otherwise it would taste more like kheer.
- If you like seviyan kheer then add more milk.
- Dry fruits of your choice can be added. If you like it more, adjust quantities accordingly.
- Once the milk is absorbed by the seviyan switch off the gas otherwise the vermicelli would taste dry.
This Meethi Seviyan post from the blog archives first published on May 2016 has been updated and republished on January 2023.
Awesome and simple recipe.
After my mum passed away, I went into shock and I have forgotten all the recipes she gave me which was upsetting. But this is the closest to what my mum taught me, very simple yet amazing. Thank you so much. Much love to you.
Hugs and thanks so much. Wish you all the best!
oh yes, another sweet easy dish that i enjoy making by following your instructions step by step !!
thank you for explaining in such a way that even begginers can follow through, easily, thus having instant perfect results !! l o v e
Thanks a lot and best regards to you.
Loved the recipe.
Thanks for the rating and the feedback.
See More Comments