veg masala toast sandwich is another way i make sandwiches at home. these are more filling than the other plain toast sandwiches as there are veggies like potatoes, tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum and onions in these. the taste of spiced potatoes gels very nicely with the partly cooked sliced veggies.
this veg masala sandwich is very easy to make. you need to make the potato stuffing first. slice the veggies. spread some butter/olive oil and coriander chutney on the bread slices. stuff them with the potato and veggies and then toast them.
i have used my old hand toaster to toast the sandwiches but you can grill the sandwiches or you can use an electric toaster. as a last option you can toast the bread slices on a griddle/tava with butter/olive oil.
the veg masala toast sandwich is served with green chutney and tomato sauce. i ran out of tomato sauce so i served it with green chutney only. this is a good tea time snack as well as nice filling brunch. you can also check this bombay style vegetable cheese toast sandwich recipe.
i use olive oil instead of butter in sandwiches and it tastes good even with the indian spices and stuffing in the sandwich.
veg masala toast sandwich recipe details below:
- 3 to 4 medium sized potatoes - boiled, peeled and mashed (aloo)
- 1 medium sized onion – chopped finely
- 1 medium sized tomato – chopped finely (optional)
- 1 small green chilli – chopped finely (hari mirch)
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai or sarson)
- a few chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) - optional
- ¾ cup coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ¼ cup mint leaves (pudina patta)
- ½ inch ginger - chopped (adrak)
- 1 or 2 green chilies - chopped (hari mirch)
- black salt as required
- little water to grind the chutney
- few drops of lemon juice
- 10 to 12 slices of bread – brown or white or whole wheat bread
- 1 onion - sliced thinly
- 1 tomato - sliced thinly
- 1 small capsicum - sliced thinly (green bell pepper or shimla mirch)
- 1 small or medium sized cucumber - sliced thinly (kheera)
- butter or olive oil as required
- sandwich masala or chaat masala as required
- in a pan, heat some oil. add mustard seeds. let them splutter.
- add cumin seeds and brown them. then add onions. fry the onions till transparent.
- now add the tomatoes. fry the tomatoes till they become soft and are cooked.
- add the chopped green chilli. add all the spice powders mentioned above.
- mix them well. now add the mashed potatoes.
- add salt. mix the stuffing really well.
- keep on stirring on a low flame so that the mixture does not stick to the pan.
- cook for 3-4 minutes. sprinkle some coriander leaves on the potato filling.
- cover and let the filling cool before you start using it in the sandwiches.
- grind the ingredients for the green chutney with little water to a smooth paste. keep aside.
- trim the edges of the bread.
- apply butter or olive oil evenly on the bread.
- now apply the green chutney on the bread.
- take 2 to 3 tbsp of the potato stuffing and spread it on this bread. sprinkle some chaat or sandwich masala over it.
- keep 2 to 3 slices of onion, tomato, cucumber and capsicum on the potato stuffing.
- sprinkle some sandwich masala or chat masala again.
- sprinkle some black salt also.
- now cover this stuffed bread slice with another slice of bread, to which both butter and chutney has been applied.
- in a sandwich toaster or grill, toast or grill the sandwich till browned from both sides.
- remove and apply some butter or olive oil on top of the sandwich.
- make all sandwiches this way.
- sprinkle some sev/fried gram flour fine vermicelli on the sandwiches.
- serve the veg masala toast sandwich hot with the green chutney and tomato ketchup.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes