grilled sandwich recipe with step by step photos – this is another easy & healthy veg grilled sandwich recipe that can be made for a quick breakfasts and brunch. the recipe is similar to the bombay veg sandwich recipe on the blog. its the grilling that makes the difference. this is also a mumbai street food. the name of bombay has been changed to mumbai.
in this post, i have shown the step by steps pics to make a really good grilled sandwich in an electric grill sandwich maker. you can follow this method to make any grilled sandwich. you can also use an open grill or use a stove top toaster to make these sandwiches.
grilling the veg sandwich makes the bread slices golden crisp and many people like it that way. i am personally fond of both the ways… toasting as well as grilling the sandwich. but my hubby is more fond of grilled sandwich. so its varies from person to person.
tips for making grilled sandwich recipe
- you can use fresh bread or even a day old bread. i have used brown bread here. you can use whole wheat bread, multi grain bread or just a good healthy sandwich loaf.
- the amount of vegetable toppings can be adjusted as per the size of the bread loaf.
- you can add vegetables of your choice in this sandwich to make it more healthy. you can easily add boiled beetroot, capsicum (bell pepper) in it.
- i have used coriander chutney in the sandwiches. you can use any green chutney of your choice like mint coriander chutney or even just plain mint chutney.
- you can prepare the coriander chutney and boil the potatoes a night before and then refrigerate them. so in the morning quick hours, you just need to slice the cucumber, tomatoes etc and assemble the sandwiches.
serve this veg grill sandwich with a green chutney or tomato ketchup.
how to make veg grilled sandwich
1. prep up everything before you start with preparing the sandwiches. boil the potatoes and then slice them in rounds. chop the cucumber, tomatoes and onions in thin round slices. prepare the green chutney.
2. on slices of brown bread or whole wheat bread or white breads, spread butter followed with green chutney. the butter has to be spread evenly and a bit liberally (if you prefer) so that on applying the chutney, the bread does not become soggy.
3. place a few slices of potatoes and then sprinkle with one to two pinches of chaat masala and roasted cumin powder.
4. place a few tomato, cucumber and onion slices over the bread. sprinkle with one to two pinches or more of chaat masala, roasted cumin powder and black salt.
5. cover the vegetable topped slices with the remaining buttered and chutneyed slices of bread. spread butter on the top of the slices.
grilling veg sandwich
6. pre heat the grill. when grill is ready, gently place the buttered side facing the bottom of the grill, making sure your hands don’t touch the grill (be careful when doing this. if you cannot do this then just skip the above step. instead spread butter once the sandwiches are grilled). now spread butter on the top side which is facing you.
7. close the grill and then grill the veg sandwiches for 2-3 minutes or till golden. remove the grilled veg sandwiches with a wooden spatula.
8. serve veg grilled sandwich hot with green chutney or tomato sauce.
more sandwich recipes
veg grilled sandwich
INGREDIENTS FOR veg grilled sandwich
for veg grilled sandwich
- 8 to 10 slices of white bread or brown bread or whole wheat bread or sandwich bread
- 1 medium potato - boiled and sliced into rounds
- 1 small to medium cucumber (kheera) - thinly sliced
- 1 small onion - thinly sliced
- 1 small to medium tomato - thinly sliced
- butter as required
- chaat masala powder as required
- roasted cumin powder as required (bhuna jeera powder)
- black salt or regular salt as required
- freshly crushed black pepper (kali mirch powder) – optional
- tomato ketchup or sauce to be served with the sandwiches
for the coriander chutney
- 1 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro leaves or dhania patta)
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves (lahsun) - chopped
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - chopped
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon lemon juice or as required
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- black salt or rock salt or sea salt as required
HOW TO MAKE veg grilled sandwich
making chutney for sandwich
- in a grinder or blender grind all the above chutney ingredients to a smooth paste using very little water. keep the chutney aside. if there are leftovers, then keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
making grilled sandwich
- boil the potatoes. they should not be cooked too much or fall apart. just cooked well till soft. peel and slice them.
- rinse, peel and slice the onion, tomatoes and cucumber in thin rounds.
- butter all the bread slices. the butter has to be spread evenly and generously so that the bread does not become soggy on spreading the chutney. spread some green chutney on the slices.
- place a few slices of potatoes and then sprinkle with roasted cumin powder and chaat masala powder.
- then place 2 to 3 cucumber, tomato and onion slices. sprinkle roasted cumin powder, chaat masala powder and black salt.
- cover the sandwiches with the remaining slices of bread.
- spread butter on the top of slices.
- in a pre heated grill, place the sandwich carefully with the buttered side facing at the bottom. be careful when doing this. now spread butter on the top side facing you.
- close the grill and grill the sandwiches for 2-3 minutes or till crisp and golden.
- remove the grilled sandwiches with a wooden spatula. in batches grill the next lot.
- serve the veg grill sandwich hot with tomato ketchup and coriander/cilantro chutney or any other green chutney of your choice