This Mayonnaise Sandwich is a tasty and easy-to-prepare cold vegetarian sandwich made with a mild veggie mayo stuffing. This light sandwich is perfect for a summer picnic or to serve as a finger snack during parties.
Table of Contents
About this recipe
These mayonnaise sandwiches are light and refreshing. The boiled potatoes blend perfectly with the mayo to produce a nice creamy spread. The added veggies give a crunch to the sandwich and the seasonings are mild, but perfectly paired with the flavor of the mayo.
There are many ways a veg mayonnaise sandwich can be made. Here I give you the basic method for preparing the mayo filling and constructing the sandwich as well as tips on ingredients and seasonings. Once you have the basic idea, feel free to adapt the recipe to your preference.
It is also easy to prepare the mayo stuffing and have it ready to add to bread for a quick lunch or snack throughout the week.
This vegetarian recipe can easily be made vegan by using dairy-free mayo and vegan butter.
Ingredients you need
Besides a good quality Eggless Mayonnaise, the other key ingredient that makes this sandwich work is the soft boiled potato cubes. The texture of the boiled potatoes works perfectly with the mayonnaise.
This recipe includes grated carrots and chopped bell pepper (capsicum), however feel free to add different or additional veggies, including cabbage and steamed corn kernels.
In the video, steamed corn kernels are added while in the step-wise photos, I have not added them.
Just be sure that the proportion of veggies to mayo gives you a nice consistency so that it spreads well on the bread.
Any bread can be used, but for a healthy version, avoid white bread and instead use a whole wheat or brown bread.
How to make Mayonnaise Sandwich
1. In a mixing bowl take ⅓ cup grated carrots and ¼ cup finely chopped bell pepper (capsicum). You can also add some steamed corn kernels and shredded cabbage.
2. Add one medium-sized potato, which has been boiled, peeled and chopped.
3. Add ⅓ cup Veg Mayonnaise. You can use eggless or vegan mayonnaise.
4. Add ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and ¼ teaspoon mustard powder. If you do not have mustard powder, then just crush ⅛ teaspoon mustard seeds in a mortar pestle.
5. Mix very well. For a slightly sweet taste, you can also add ¼ to ½ teaspoon sugar. If you want, you can also add some red chili flakes or some dried herbs like oregano, thyme, basil.
6. Spread butter on the bread slices.
7. Now spread the stuffing on the bread slices.
8. Place on top the remaining buttered slices and slice the sandwich in rectangles or triangles or small squares. At this point, if you’d like, you can toast or grill these sandwiches.
9. While serving the veg mayonnaise sandwiches you can garnish them with some grated carrots and grated cheddar cheese. Accompany them with some banana chips, potato chips or potato wedges.
These mayo sandwiches also make for a perfect light breakfast, lunch or snack. As they taste great cold, these sandwiches also work great to pack in a picnic or as a packed lunch. Easily multiply the recipe and serve them as a finger snack during parties.
You can serve veg mayo sandwiches plain or accompany them with some potato chips or french fries.
For a vegan version, simply use a vegan mayonnaise and butter or just skip spreading the butter on the bread. Or else, if you are just looking to avoid eggs, use an eggless mayonnaise, or else make your own homemade eggless mayonnaise.
This version is for a cold, non-toasted sandwich, but you can easily toast or grill these mayonnaise sandwiches if you prefer a warm sandwich with a crispy crust.
- Always include the boiled potato cubes as the soft texture of the potatoes goes very well in a veg mayo sandwich.
- Steamed corn kernels taste good in a mayonnaise stuffing. You can steam or boil the corn at home or you can also use canned corn.
- You can use any bread, like whole-wheat bread, or brown bread or white bread. To make it healthy, avoid using white bread.
- For a bolder flavor and a bit of spice, add some red chili flakes or some dried herbs like oregano, thyme and basil into the mayonnaise sandwich stuffing.
These veg mayo sandwiches stay good for about 3 to 4 hours.
Yes, you can do that.
This recipe does not yield soggy sandwich as there are no juicy or watery vegetables added. Just do not add tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce in the sandwich to avoid sogginess.
You could use greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- ⅓ cup grated carrots
- ¼ cup finely chopped bell pepper (capsicum)
- 1 medium potato – boiled and chopped
- ⅓ cup Veg Mayonnaise – eggless or vegan, add as required
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder or add as required
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon sugar – optional
- 8 to 10 bread slices – whole wheat, brown, white or multigrain bread
- butter as required
- 1 to 2 tablespoon grated carrots – optional
- 1 tablespoon grated cheddar cheese – optional
- In a mixing bowl take the grated carrots, finely chopped bell pepper. You can also add some steamed corn kernels and shredded cabbage.
- Add one medium sized potato, which has been boiled, peeled and chopped.
- Add mayonnaise, black pepper powder and mustard powder.
- If you do not have mustard powder, then just crush ⅛ teaspoon mustard seeds in a mortar-pestle or you can add ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard
- Mix very well. You can also add ¼ to ½ teaspoon sugar for a slight sweet taste. You can also add some red chili flakes or some dried herbs like oregano, thyme, basil.
Making mayo sandwich
- Spread butter on the bread slices.
- Now spread veg mayonnaise stuffing on the bread slices.
- Place on top the remaining buttered slices and slice the mayo sandwiches in rectangles or triangles or small squares. You can even toast or grill these sandwiches.
- While serving mayonnaise sandwich, you can garnish with some grated carrots and grated cheddar cheese.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later