veg cheese toast sandwich recipe with step by step photos – this is a bombay style delicious veg cheese sandwich recipe. i have been having these cheese sandwiches from the street side sandwich wallahs in mumbai, in my school & college days, as breakfast or brunch. even later when working, i would have these sandwiches for a quick brunch or lunch.
i have added most veggies in these sandwiches, except boiled beetroots. i have added onions, tomatoes, boiled potatoes and capsicum. i have also shared cheese sandwich recipe which is made without the addition of any veggies.
i have toasted the sandwich. but you can also grill them as some folks prefer that way. an electric toaster or a hand held stove top toaster works well to make these veg cheese sandwiches.
toast and sandwiches recipes are easy and quick to make. specially good for morning hours when you are running short of time. you can also pack sandwiches for tiffin box or for a short picnic.
for making toast, sandwiches or bread pakora, i always prefer to use whole wheat bread or brown bread or multi grain bread. but honestly speaking the best taste comes with white bread. so there is always temptation to use white bread knowing well that it is not healthy and made with all purpose flour (maida). but i choose health over taste, much to the chagrin of the other family members. and so this sandwich is also made with whole wheat bread.
serve veg cheese sandwich with green chutney or tomato sauce. potato wafers and a cup of hot tea will also go well along with the sandwich.
for more veg sandwich recipes you may like are
veg cheese sandwich
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- ¾ cup coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ¾ cup mint leaves (pudina patta)
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - chopped
- 1 or 2 green chili (hari mirch) - chopped
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala (optional)
- black salt or regular salt or rock salt as required
- little water to grind the chutney
- few drops of lemon juice
for veg cheese sandwich
- 8 to 10 slices of brown bread or white bread or whole wheat bread
- 1 medium size tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 medium size onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled thinly sliced
- 1 small capsicum (green bell pepper or shimla mirch) - thinly sliced
- 1 boiled beetroot, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 boiled potato, thinly sliced
- ½ to ⅔ cup grated cheddar cheese or regular cheese add cheese as required
- butter at room temperature to apply on the breads
- chaat masala or sandwich masala to sprinkle on the veggies
- black salt to sprinkle on the veggies
how to make veg cheese sandwich
preparation for veg cheese sandwich
prepare the chutney first. blend all the ingredients mentioned under the list 'for chutney' in a grinder or small blender.
add very little water. the chutney has to be of thick or slightly thick consistency.
- keep the chutney aside.
- steam or boil the potatoes and beetroot.
- peel and slice them thinly,
- rinse and peel the onions and cucumber. slice them thinly into round slices.
- rinse and remove the seeds from the capsicum. slice it thinly. also slice the tomatoes thinly. keep the sliced veggies aside. grate the cheese and keep aside.
making cheese toast sandwich
- slice the edges of the bread if you prefer. spread butter evenly on all the slices. make sure the butter covers the entire of bread. a generous coating of butter does not allow the bread to become soggy, when you apply the chutney.
- spread the mint-coriander chutney on all the bread slices.
- place the onion, tomato, potato and capsicum slices. sprinkle a pinch of chaat masala or sandwich masala evenly on them. also sprinkle a pinch of black salt evenly.
- now top with grated cheese.
- cover the sandwiches with the remaining bread slices and place in a preheated toaster or grill.
- toast for 2 to 3 minutes till the bread gets toasted well and golden. toast the remaining sandwiches in the same way.
spread some butter on top of the hot sandwiches and serve veg cheese toast sandwich hot with the remaining chutney and tomato sauce.
- to make spicy sandwiches, increase the number of green chilies in the mint-coriander chutney.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - veg cheese sandwich on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make veg cheese toast sandwich
1. first prep everything before you start preparing the sandwiches. prepare the chutney. here i made coriander-mint chutney. also slice the veggies and grate the cheese. the cheese added is cheddar cheese.
2. slice the edges of the bread if you prefer. spread butter evenly on all the slices. make sure the butter covers the entire of bread. a generous coating of butter does not allow the bread to become soggy, when you apply the chutney.
3. spread the mint-coriander chutney on all the bread slices.
4. place the onion, tomato, potato and capsicum slices. sprinkle some chaat masala or sandwich masala on them. also sprinkle a pinch of black salt evenly.
5. now top with grated cheese.
6. cover the sandwiches with the remaining bread slices and place in a preheated toaster or grill.
7. toast for 2 to 3 minutes till the bread gets toasted well and golden. toast the remaining veg cheese sandwiches in the same way.
8. spread some butter on top of the hot sandwiches and serve veg cheese toast sandwich hot with the remaining chutney and tomato sauce.