bhel puri recipe with step by step photos – bhel puri is a very popular mumbai street food.
there are two types of bhel – dry and wet bhel. this recipe is for the wet bhel puri where chutneys are added. in the dry bhel you simply do not add any chutneys. some people prefer bhel puri with chutney’s and some without it.
also bhel is eaten with papdis or crisp fried pooris. at least this is how i have them at home. but you can even have them with a spoon 🙂
there is no english translation of bhel puri for my international readers. all i can tell you is that bhel puri is a crispy, soft, sweet, tangy, spicy mixture of many edibles. it is one of the popular street food recipe from mumbai which is now available in other parts of india as well in various avatars. another similar recipe is jhal muri from kolkata.
mainly made with puffed rice – to which many delectable tid bits are added. you will see in the pictorial below.
tips for making bhel puri
- bhel puri have to be served as soon as they get made and immediately. serving even after a couple of minutes will make the whole bhel puri mixture soggy and you won’t enjoy it.
- keep all the ingredients ready before you start mixing everything for making bhel puri.
- the puffed rice should be crisp. if it is not crisp then roast it for some minutes in a pan on a low flame. roast them till they become crisp.
- you can even add grated vegetables like carrots and beetroot.
- when raw mangoes are in season then you can even add them. addition of raw mangoes gives a very nice tangy taste and crunch.
- spice powders and the chutneys can be adjusted as per your taste buds. you can make chutney at home or even use readymade ones. best to use homemade chutneys as you can make them as per your taste and they are more fresh.
few more popular snacks recipes you may like are:
- sev puri
- pani puri
- aloo tikki
- misal pav
- dhokla recipe
- ragda pattice
- veg cutlet
- onion pakoda
- hara bhara kabab
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 cups puffed rice
- 2 tablespoon mint coriander chutney
- 2 tablespoon tamarind dates chutney
- 1 teaspoon red chili chutney (optional)
- 1 large boiled potato - peeled and chopped
- ½ to ¾ cup boiled moong beans OR steamed moong sprouts
- 1 medium size tomato - finely chopped
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ¼ or ½ cup sev
- 5 to 6 papdis - broken into pieces
- 2 tablespoon roasted peanuts (bhuni moongphali)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- black salt as required
how to make bhel puri
- firstly dry roast the puffed rice in a kadai or pan till they become crisp.
- let them cool and take them all in a large bowl.
- add everything to the puffed rice except sev and coriander leaves.
- quickly mix everything.
- now lastly garnish bhel puri with some coriander leaves and sev.
- serve bhel puri immediately.
- the salt, chutneys and spice powders in the bhel puri can be adjusted as per your liking. you can use ready made chutneys too.
- if you don't have onions, then too you can make the bhel without onions.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - bhel puri on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make bhel puri
1: firstly dry roast the puffed rice in a pan till they become crisp. you don’t need to brown them. take them all in a huge bowl.
2: now add chopped onions, tomatoes and mine and yours favorite – potatoes (boiled & chopped)… is there anyone who hates potatoes?
3: add some boiled moong beans… isn’t that a healthy option in a bhel?
5: now some tanginess to join the party – lemon juice, chaat masala powder, red chili powder, roasted cumin powder and salt.
6: with a spoon, just swirl the whole mixture together well and be quick.
7: top up with some broken papdis and roasted peanuts.
8: crispiness fun – add some sev (fried chickpea flour vermicelli). not to forget the very indian garnishing of coriander aka cilantro leaves.
9: serve bhel puri immediately in individual bowls or plates. top up with some sev and more coriander leaves if you want. if you don’t serve it immediately then it will become soggy and you won’t enjoy it. so be quick in serving.