sandwich recipe with step by step photos and video – easy to prepare mumbai style tasty veg sandwich recipe.
what adds spice to the veg sandwich is the spicy coriander chutney, black salt and chaat masala. nowadays we do get the sandwich masala and you can add this also. for more flavors, roasted cumin powder as well as freshly powdered black pepper can also be added.
the coriander chutney can be made a day in advance and kept in the fridge. this chutney is multi purpose. you can add it to your sandwiches or have it with your pakoras or chaat.
this veg sandwich from bombay aka mumbai used to be one of my favorite snack during the college days. when i would be hungry and sometimes without a tiffin box, me and my friends would go to the sandwich stall opposite our college and have the plain or toasted veg sandwich. we were regular at the the sandwich guy’s stall and thus he would tailor make the sandwiches for us, as per our preferences.
in mumbai, one gets to see so many sandwich stalls. my sis is also so fond of these sandwiches, specially the toasted ones. whenever we would go to any restaurant in mumbai, we always knew what she is going to order first – a toast sandwich. so this post is dedicated to my sis who is a fan of the bombay sandwiches. these sandwiches are a also a popular bombay street food.
when i was working on the pics of the vegetable sandwich the other night, i was drooling over the pics myself. so made it again today for the morning brunch. i love this any day. you can also check bombay style veg cheese toast sandwich recipe.
dairy butter is used in the veg sandwiches, but you could easily use vegan butter. you can also toast these vegetable sandwiches if you prefer.
if you are looking for more veg sandwich recipes then do check:
veg sandwich recipe below:
sandwich recipe | veg sandwich recipe
veg sandwich recipe - popular mumbai street food of delicious sandwiches made with mix vegetables, green chutney and a few spice powders.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
for veg sandwich:
- 10 slices white or brown bread
- 2 small to medium potatoes, boiled and sliced into rounds
- 1 medium sized beetroot, boiled and thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small to medium onion,
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- butter softened and at room temperature, salted or unsalted, as required
- chaat masala as required
- black salt to taste
- roasted cumin powder as required- optional
- freshly ground black pepper , optional
- tomato ketchup or sauce to be served with the sandwiches
for making coriander chutney:
- 1 cup tightly packed coriander leaves or ¾ cup coriander leaves and ¼ cup mint leaves
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder or add as required
- 1 green chilies, you can also add 2 green chilies
- salt or black salt as per taste
- 1 teaspoon water for grinding, optional
how to make recipe
making coriander chutney for veg sandwich:
in a mixie or blender, take 1 cup tightly packed coriander leaves, ½ tsp chaat masala powder and 1 to 2 green chilies
just add a pinch or two of salt as chaat masala already has salt in it.
grind the chutney ingredients till smooth. no need to add water. but if you cannot grind, then add 1 or 2 tsp of water.
collect the coriander chutney in a bowl.
check the taste and add more salt if required.
cover and keep the chutney aside if you are making veg sandwiches immediately or else refrigerate.
preparing veggies for sandwich recipe:
boil or steam the beetroot and potatoes till they are tender.
once cooled, thinly slice the beetroot and slice the potatoes.
peel and thinly slice onion and cucumber.
thinly slice the tomatoes as well.
making veg sandwich recipe:
trim the edges of the bread slices if you want.
butter the bread slices evenly and very well.
now apply the coriander chutney to the slices.
place all the veggie slices one by one.
sprinkle the black salt and chaat masala on each one of them or alternately.
cover the sandwich with the other bread slices.
slice the veg sandwich into triangles and rectangles.
serve veg sandwich immediately with tomato ketchup and the coriander chutney.
tips for making sandwich recipe:
- you can cook the potato in the microwave. wash the potato well. prick the potatoes with a fork and microwave in the oven for 4-5 minutes.
- when the beetroot & potatoes are getting cooked, you can slice the other veggies and make the chutney.
- you can use whole wheat bread or brown bread or multigrain bread or white bread. but the best taste in veg sandwich comes with white bread.
- dairy butter is used in these veg sandwiches. but you could easily use vegan butter.
- you can also toast these veg sandwiches if you prefer.
how to make veg sandwich recipe:
a) preparing coriander chutney:
1. take 1 cup tightly packed coriander leaves, ½ tsp chaat masala powder, 1 to 2 green chilies (chopped) in a chutney grinder jar. i usually add 2 to 3 green chilies as we prefer a bit spicy chutney in the sandwiches. you can also add half-half of coriander leaves and mint leaves. just add a pinch or two of salt as chaat masala already has salt in it.
2. grind the chutney ingredients till smooth. no need to add water. but if you cannot grind, then add 1 or 2 tsp of water. i did not add water as there was enough moisture after rinsing the coriander leaves to help them grind to a smooth chutney.
3. collect the coriander chutney in a bowl. check the taste and add more salt if required. cover and keep the chutney aside if you are making sandwiches immediately or else refrigerate.
b) cooking and slicing veggies for veg sandwiches:
1. steam or boil 1 medium beetroot and 2 small to medium potatoes in steamer or pressure cooker. if pressure cooking, then cook them for 2 whistles.
2. thinly slice the other veggies like 1 medium tomato, 1 small to medium onion and 1 medium cucumber. before slicing the cucumber to get the bitterness out from it, follow this step – just slice the top part first. then give a few slits to the cucumber on top with a knife. rub the top sliced part with the rest of the cucumber. you will see a froth like substance on cucumber. doing this method gets rid of the bitterness in the cucumber. slice the frothy part of the cucumber. rinse and peel it and then thinly slice.
assembling and making veg sandwich recipe:
1. here’s all the thinly sliced veggies kept ready in a plate. in clockwise order – sliced tomatoes, cucumber, onions, boiled potatoes and beetroot.
2. use a good quality fresh bread. if you have a loaf then slice them equally. here i used homemade white bread. you can slice the edges if you want. i have not since i was using homemade bread and the slices were soft. you can also use whole wheat bread or brown bread or multigrain bread.
3. spread butter very well on 8 to 10 slices. make sure there is a good coating of butter as otherwise if you spread the chutney, then the bread slices can become soggy. you can use both salted as well unsalted butter. the butter should be softened and at room temperature.
4. spread the coriander chutney now.
5. place 2 to 3 beetroot slices on 4 to 5 of the bread slices.
6. sprinkle a pinch or two of black salt or regular salt, roasted cumin powder and chaat masala on the slices.
7. place 2 to 3 tomato slices.
8. then place 3 to 4 cucumber slices. sprinkle a pinch or two of black salt or regular salt, roasted cumin powder and chaat masala on the cucumber slices.
9. place 2 to 3 onion slices.
10. sprinkle a pinch or two of black salt or regular salt, roasted cumin powder and chaat masala again.
11. now layer with 2 to 3 boiled potato slices.
12. sprinkle a pinch or two of black salt or regular salt, roasted cumin powder and chaat masala again.
13. cover with the bread slices on which we have spread the butter and chutney already.
14. slice to get four sandwich pieces. if you use a larger bread, you can slice to 6 pieces.
15. serve veg sandwich immediately with some extra chutney and tomato ketchup. you can also sprinkle some nylon sev (thin fried gram flour vermicelli) while serving veg sandwiches.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe