Salted lassi recipe with stepwise photos – One more contrasting variation to the popular Sweet lassi. A cooling savory yogurt drink to beat the heat.
Lassi is a very popular drink which is made during summers in India. There are many variations of making this drink. It could be sweet, salty or made with fruits also. I have already shared recipes of Mango lassi and Strawberry lassi.
Most people like sweet version but some people are also fond of namkeen lassi. My personal choice in lassi, will always be Mango lassi.
This salted lassi is flavored with black salt, roasted cumin powder and garnished with mint leaves. If you like the hint of black salt in drinks then you might like this lassi. If you do are not able to get black salt, then substitute with regular salt or rock salt.
A variation to this lassi, is to blend some mint leaves with yogurt and you have nice refreshing Mint lassi. Some people also make this lassi just with yogurt, water and salt.
Steps to make savory salted lassi (with black salt)
1. Take the yogurt in a bowl or pan.
2. Add water to yogurt.
3. Sprinkle the black salt. If you don’t have black salt then you can substitute it with regular salt or rock salt. Also sprinkle roasted cumin powder. If you don’t have roasted cumin powder, then just dry roast the cumin till fragrant, in a small pan or skillet/tawa and then crush in a mortar-pestle.
4. With a wired whisk blend everything well till smooth. Here I have used the traditional Indian handheld blender, known as Madani in Hindi. You can use an electric blender.
5. Pour in glasses. Garnish with mint leaves and Serve salted lassi. Ice cubes can also be added or you can use chilled yogurt and water to make it.
If you are looking for more Beverages then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
Savory Salted Lassi
- 2.5 cups chilled fresh full fat curd (yogurt)
- 1 cup chilled water
- 1 teaspoon black salt - black salt is not very salty. hence 1 teaspoon. if using any other salt, add as per your taste
- 1.5 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 6 to 7 mint leaves
- a few ice cubes - optional
- Take the chilled fresh yogurt in a bowl or pan.
- Add chilled water to yogurt.
- Sprinkle the salt and roasted cumin powder. A tip is to add 1/2 tsp of salt first. Then once you blend everything, add salt accordingly.
- If you don't have cumin, then just dry roast 3/4 tsp cumin till fragrant, in a small pan or skillet/tava and then crush in a mortar-pestle till fine.
- With a wired whisk blend everything well till smooth.
- In the step by step pics, I have used the traditional indian hand held blender, known as Madani in hindi. You can use an electric blender.
- Pour in glasses. Garnish with mint leaves and serve salted lassi immediately. Ice cubes can also be added or you can use the chilled yogurt and water to make this lassi. You can also refrigerate the namkeen lassi for a couple of hours, before serving.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later