Mushroom roast recipe with step by step photos. A spicy sauteed mushroom preparation. Gluten-free and vegan.
This is an easy and quick recipe that can be made with just mushrooms and a few Indian spice blends or masala. There is no chopping of any other veggie for this recipe, except the mushrooms.
White button mushrooms work very well in this recipe, but even portobello mushrooms would be good. The whole dish takes not more than 15 minutes to cook. The recipe is too good and makes for a spicy starter snack.
Mushroom roast can also be had with chapatis or bread. They can also be served as a side dish with an Indian main course meal. Another similar recipe is this -> Potato roast.
Mushroom roast recipe here is North Indian inspired. this recipe just happened as I wanted to make a mushroom side dish and did not want to spend a lot of time.
The mushrooms were the last dish I had to make for the day after all the cooking I had done. So when I finally made the dish, the taste was so good, that I decided to click the pics and post it too for all of you. Why not share such a good recipe.
How to make mushroom roast
1. Rinse 200 grams button mushrooms in water very well. Make sure all the soil particles are washed away.
2. Then drain them and wipe dry with a clean kitchen towel.
3. You can halve the mushrooms or quarter them or even slice them.
4. In a bowl, take 2 tablespoons fresh yogurt (curd).
5. Beat with a wired whisk or spoon till yogurt is smooth.
6. Measure all the ingredients and keep ready for making.
Making mushroom roast
7. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan.
8. Add the sliced mushrooms.
9. Stir and saute the mushrooms on a low to medium flame.
10. The mushrooms will take some minutes to cook.
11. First they will start to release water and you will see a lot of water in the pan.
12. Continue to saute the mushrooms till all the water dries up completely. Then continue to saute till the mushrooms become golden from the edges.
13. Then lower the flame and add all the spice powders one by one – ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder and ½ teaspoon tandoori masala (or ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder).
14. Mix very well and stir for 4 to 5 seconds.
15. Then add 1 tablespoon besan (gram flour or chickpea flour).
16. Saute it on a low flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till the raw aroma of besan goes away.
17. Remove the pan from flame and add the beaten curd (yogurt).
18. Mix well.
19. Season with salt.
20. Keep the pan on the stovetop.
21. Saute the mushroom mixture for 4 to 5 minutes on a low flame.
22. Saute till the mixture becomes dry and the masala has coated the mushrooms.
23. Add 2 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves.
24. Mix well and switch off the flame.
25. Serve the Mushroom roast with lemon slices or wedges as a side dish.
Few more Mushroom recipes
Have you made this recipe and liked it? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below or share the recipe on facebook, whatsapp, twitter & pinterest. For recipe updates Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and Twitter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 200 grams button mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder or deghi mirch or ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- ½ teaspoon tandoori masala or ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon besan (gram flour or chickpea flour)
- 2 tablespoon fresh yogurt, whisked till smooth (curd)
- 2 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- Rinse the mushrooms first.
- Drain and wipe them dry.
- You can halve them or quarter them or even slice them.
making mushroom roast
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Add the mushrooms. Stir and saute the mushrooms.
- The mushrooms will take some minutes too cook.
- First they will start to sweat and you will see a lot of water in the pan.
- The water should dry up completely and the mushrooms should become golden from sides.
- You can cook the mushrooms on a low to medium flame.
- Lower the flame and then add all the spice powders one by one - turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and tandoori masala or garam masala.
- Stir for 4 to 5 seconds.
- Add besan (gram flour) and saute it on a low flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from fire and add beaten curd.
- Stir well and season with salt.
- Keep the pan on the stove top and saute the mushroom mixture for 4 to 5 minutes on a low flame till the mixture becomes dry and the masala has coated the mushrooms.
- Stir in coriander leaves and switch off the fire. serve the mushroom roast with lemon slices or wedges.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.