Mushroom fry recipe with step by step photos. Mushrooms sautéed with soft succulent onions, green chilies and spices. Low fat and a vegan recipe from the Goan Cuisine.
This recipe of Mushroom fry is a Goan recipe. Not to be confused with the Indo Chinese Chilli Mushroom. This is how my mom makes prawn chilli fry and I make the mushroom fry with green chillies – prawns substituted with mushrooms 🙂
In this recipe, not a lot of green chillies are used. Just 2-3 green chilies are used with onions. So there is a sweetness from the onions and hint of warmth from the green chillies and spices.
Mushroom fry is easy to prepare and serve. Make this dish when you are very tired or busy and you will thank me. It goes best with bread, dinner rolls or pav.
I usually serve mushroom fry with homemade brown bread or pav (Indian rolls) or white bread. This time served with black sesame masala bread.
It can also be served as a starter or can be had as a side dish. Sometimes I make it accompanied by some dal as a side dish. But most times as a main dish served with bread. You can also serve it with roti or naan.
How to make mushroom fry
1. Rinse 200 to 250 grams button mushrooms a couple of times in water and then drain well.
2. Chop the mushrooms and keep aside.
3. Slice the onions thinly. Slit the green chilies. Also, measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
4. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan or kadai (wok). Add the sliced onions.
5. This process of cooking onions takes a lot of time. so to quicken this process, add a pinch of salt to the onions. This helps the onions to cook faster.
6. Saute the sliced onions till they begin to get light golden.
7. The onions should have a softness in them. So when you see them beginning to get light golden, proceed to the next step. Don’t make the onions crisp or browned.
8. Now add the 2 to 3 slit green chilies.
9. Saute for half a minute.
10. Now add the chopped mushrooms and stir.
11. Add ½ teaspoon cumin powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder, 1 pinch red chili powder and 1 to 2 pinch garam masala powder. Also add salt as required. Just remember we have added salt while frying the onions so add salt accordingly.
12. Mix the spices very well with the mushrooms. saute the mushrooms on a low to medium flame. The mushroom will shrink in size and leave water.
13. Continue to cook till all the water has evaporated and you can see oil in the mixture.
14. Saute till the mushrooms turn light golden from the edges. Then add 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves).
15. Cook and stir for a minute.
16. Switch off the fire and Serve the mushroom fry with some pav, bread or rolls. You can also serve mushroom fry with chapatis or butter naan or garlic naan or plain paratha.
More Mushroom recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 200 to 250 grams button mushrooms
- 1 large onion or 2 medium sized onions
- 2 to 3 green chilies
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 pinch red chili powder - optional
- 1 to 2 pinch Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 or 2 tablespoon coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- salt as required
- Rinse and chop the mushrooms. Slice the onions thinly. slit the green chilies.
making mushroom fry
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai (wok).
- Add the onions and saute till they begin to get light golden.
- This process of cooking onions take a lot of time. so to quicken this process, add a pinch of salt to the onions. This helps the onions to cook faster.
- The onions should have softness in them. So when you see them beginning to get light golden, proceed to the next step. Don't make the onions crisp or browned.
- Add the green chilies and saute for half a minute.
- Now add the chopped mushroom and stir.
- Add all the spice powders including salt if required.
- Saute the mushrooms till they shrink in size and leave water.
- Continue to cook till all the water has evaporated and you can see oil in the mixture.
- Saute till the mushrooms turn a light golden.
- Add coriander leaves. Stir and cook for a minute.
- Switch off the fire and serve mushroom fry with some pav, bread or rolls.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later