naan recipe with step by step photos – soft textured delicious naan made with whole wheat flour (atta) and all purpose flour (maida). in this naan bread recipe, i have used 2:1 proportion of whole wheat flour and all purpose flour, but you can use 1:1 or even 3:1.
if you are very conscious about eating whole wheat flour naan only, then you can check these two naan bread recipes made with whole wheat flour.
i have one more recipe of naan where the naans have really puffed up like pita breads but they are made with all purpose flour (maida) and the recipe uses yeast. naan recipe shared in this post is made without use of yeast. you can make them on tawa or stove top or alternatively you can also cook the naan in a tandoor or bake them.
naan is one such yummy dish that make you forget about all purpose flour :-). i do make whole wheat naan, but sometimes the family wants soft textured naans made with all purpose flour, the way they serve in restaurants. so the trick for me it to combine both whole wheat flour and all purpose flour. i have done this in naan recipes like naan like garlic naan and cheese garlic naan.
whenever we go to a restaurant then most of the time we end up ordering naan bread with a curry dish. knowing very well that it will be probably made with all purpose flour (maida) and not good for health. but what to do…. naan tastes so well with curry dishes that you end up loosening your guard about eating healthy food. once in a while we all like to relax our guard and relish fried food or other supposed to be unhealthy food.
preferably naan bread should be eaten hot. as once it cools down then it becomes dense, hard and loses its taste. atleast the restaurant ones become like that. not this recipe. the naan remain soft even when they become warm or cool down.
naan bread goes very well with curry dishes like:
this naan bread recipe has been adapted from the cookbook: “1000 great indian recipes the ultimate book of indian cuisine” by neeta dutta. i usually make naan with yeast, but wanted to try without yeast and this recipe was a success. after that made a few times too.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
dry ingredients to be sieved for naan recipe
- 3 cups flour, 2 cups whole wheat flour (atta) + 1 cup all purpose flour (maida) Or half-half of both or just 3 cups all purpose flour (maida)
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch baking soda or 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- salt as required
wet ingredients to be mixed for naan recipe
- 3 tablespoon yogurt (dahi or curd) dairy or vegan, (i used cashew yogurt)
- 2 tablespoon milk (dairy milk or vegan option like soy milk or cashew milk or almond milk).
- ⅔ or ¾ cup water or add as required
- 2 teaspoon sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar
additional ingredients for naan
- 3 tablespoon oil for kneading in the dough
- 1 tablespoon mix of onion seeds (kalonji) and melon seeds (magaz) or sesame seeds
- oil or ghee or butter as required for applying on the naan (optional)
how to make naan recipe
kneading dough for naan recipe
- mix water, milk and yogurt. stir in the sugar in the above mixture.
- sieve the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- mix the flour with the wet ingredients that we made first.
- knead to make a smooth dough. if the dough looks dry then add some water and knead again. the dough should be smooth and soft.
- cover with a wet cloth and keep aside for 10 minutes. after 10 minutes, add oil and knead the dough again.
- cover with the same wet cloth and keep aside for 2 hours, till the dough leavens and rises.
- make medium sized balls of the dough.
- roll in a small circle and sprinkle some onion seeds on the dough.
- roll into a four or five inches round circle.
- if you want you can stretch the dough to one side to give a tear shape to the naan.
on a hot tava (griddle or stove top), place the naan
- partly cook both the sides of the naan on the tava.
then place the naan bread with the help of tongs on fire
- and cook both the sides till they get browned and slightly charred.
- when done then remove the naan and apply some butter, ghee or oil on the naan. you can have them plain also.
- serve the naan hot or warm with any paneer or vegetable curry or even with dal.
- the number of pieces will vary depending on the size and thickness of the naan. approx 14 to 16 medium sized naan can be made.
- alternatively, you can also cook the naan bread in a tandoor or bake them. place the naan bread for baking on a greased hot tray or stone and bake in a preheated oven at your ovens highest temperature.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - naan recipe on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make naan recipe
1. add ¾ or ⅔ cup water (or as required), 2 tbsp milk and 3 tbsp yogurt in a bowl. add 2 tsp sugar.
2. mix till smooth.
3. sieve 3 cups flour (2 cups whole wheat flour/atta + 1 cup all purpose flour/maida or half-half of both or just all purpose flour), 1.5 tsp baking powder, a pinch or ¼ tsp baking soda and salt as required.
4. mix the sieved flour with the milk + yogurt + water mixture. knead to a smooth dough.
5. cover with a wet cloth and keep aside for 10 minutes.
6. after 10 minutes, add 3 tbsp oil to the dough for kneading.
7. and knead the dough again.
8. cover with the same moist cloth and keep aside for 2 hours, till the dough leavens.
9. make medium sized balls of the dough. roll a small circle.
10. sprinkle 1 tbsp mix of onion seeds (kalonji) and melon seeds (magaz) or sesame seeds on the rolled dough.
11. roll into a four or five inches round circle.
12. naan bread ready to be placed on a hot tava or griddle.
cooking naan bread
13. place the naan on a hot tava or griddle. partly cook both the sides of the naan on the tava.
14. then place the naan bread with the help of tongs on fire and cook both the sides till they get browned and slightly charred. you can also cook them on the pan itself with or with out oil/ghee/butter.
15. when the naan gets slightly charred and browned, remove the naan and apply some butter, ghee or oil on the naan. you can have them plain also.
serve the naan bread hot or warm with your favorite curry dish like: malai kofta or palak paneer or matar paneer or dals like dal tadka or dry fry or dal makhani. in the pics, the naans are served with methi chole (chickpea fenugreek curry).