Methi mushroom recipe with step by step photos. Methi mushroom is a delicious curry based dish made with button mushrooms, methi (fenugreek leaves), curd, herbs and spices.
This recipe was so good that inspite of not so nice photos I have to post it.
Methi mushroom is a classic adaptation of the famous non vegetarian dish methi murgh. Methi murgh is a famous North Indian curry made with chicken, fenugreek and yogurt.
I have adapted this recipe from Jiggs Kalra’s book “Prashad – cooking with Indian masters“. this dish is very easy to make. Just some patience and time is required. This is definitely not a curry in a hurry.
To make this dish, firstly the mushrooms are marinated in yogurt and then cooked in the aromatic masala. The methi (fenugreek leaves) also gives a beautiful aroma to the dish.
Instead of fresh methi/fenugreek leaves, You can also make this dish with dry fenugreek leaves (Kasuri methi). The amounts are given below in the recipe details.
This methi mushroom dish goes very well with some rotis or naans and even some jeera rice. We had this with phulkas. Our lunch and dinners are very simple and not complicated. If I don’t make dal, then I end up making simple gravy dishes like this with some phulkas and salad.
So do try to make this finger licking methi mushroom. this is also one dish that can go on party menus or can be made on special occasions. It does taste restaurant style and pairs excellently with Indian flatbreads like roti or naan or paratha. Vegans can use cashew curd or any vegan curd.
How to make methi mushroom
1. Rinse 200 to 250 gram mushrooms in running water and get rid of the mud from them. Then drain the water very well.
2. Chop the mushrooms and keep aside.
3. In a bowl take ¼ cup curd and a pinch of salt to it. beat the curd till smooth. Use full fat fresh curd so that the curd does not split while cooking.
4. Add the curd to the chopped mushrooms.
5. Coat the mushrooms very well with the beaten curd. Cover and marinate for 30 to 40 minutes at room temperature.
6. Meanwhile pick the fenugreek leaves from their stems. Methi leaves should be around 1 cup or you can also use 1 to 2 tablespoons of dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi).
7. Soak in water for some seconds so that the mud etc settles down at the bottom.
8. Throw the water. I have used a colander while throwing water as the methi leaves may drop down.
9. Again soak the methi leaves.
10. Now rinse the methi leaves well under running water till the leaves are clean and the mud particles are not there.
11. Drain them in a colander.
12. Chop methi leaves finely. Keep aside.
13. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
Making methi mushroom
14. Heat 3 tablespoons oil or ghee in a pan or kadai.
15. Add the whole garam masala – 2 to 3 green cardamoms, 1 inch cinnamon, 1 black cardamom , 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf), 2 to 3 cloves and 1 to 2 single strands of mace.
16. Fry the whole garam masala till the oil becomes fragrant. Don’t burn them.
17. Then add ½ cup chopped onions.
18. Mix very well and on a low flame begin to saute the onions.
19. Do keep stirring the onions in between. be patient as onions do take time to get browned.
20. Saute till the onions begin to get golden.
21. Immediately add 1 to 2 chopped green chilies and ½ tablespoon ginger-garlic paste.
22. Mix very well and saute for a minute.
23. Then add 3 medium sized chopped tomatoes.
24. Mix well and saute till the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
25. Keep on stirring the masala.
26. Add all the dry spice powders – ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander) and ½ teaspoon red chili powder.
27. Stir and mix very well.
28. Saute till oil leaves from the sides of the whole masala mixture.
29. Lower the flame and add the marinated mushrooms with the yogurt.
30. Next add the chopped methi leaves or dry methi leaves.
31. Mix well.
32. Add about ¼ to ½ cup of water.
33. Also add salt as per taste. Do keep in mind that some salt has been added to the marination.
34. Stir well.
35. Cover the pan or kadai and simmer till the mushrooms are cooked.
36. Do check in between and if the consistency looks dry then add some more water.
37. Once the mushrooms are cooked then check the taste and add more salt or spice powders if required.
38. Garnish methi mushroom with some coriander leaves.
39. Serve Methi mushroom hot with rotis or naan or tandoori rotis or cumin rice.
Few more tasty recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 200 to 250 grams white button mushrooms
- ¼ cup full fat fresh curd (yogurt)
- 1 cup fresh methi leaves (fenugreek leaves) or 1 to 2 tablespoon dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 3 tablespoons oil or ghee
- 1 large onion - chopped or ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 or 2 green chili - sliced or chopped
- ½ tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 3 medium size tomatoes - chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- salt as required
- ¼ to ½ cup water or add as required
whole garam masala
- 2 to 3 green cardamoms
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 1 to 2 single strands of mace optional
preparation for methi mushroom
- Rinse the mushrooms in running water and get rid of the mud from them. Drain all the water very well.
- Chop them and keep aside.
- In a bowl take ¼ cup curd and a pinch of salt to it. beat the curd till smooth. Use full fat fresh curd so that the curd does not split while cooking.
- Add the mushrooms to the curd and marinate for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile pick the fenugreek leaves from their stems.
- Soak in water for some seconds so that the mud etc settles down at the bottom.
- Throw the water and again soak the leaves.
- Now rinse the methi leaves well under running water till the leaves are clean and the mud particles are not there.
- Drain them in a colander. Chop the methi leaves finely.
making methi mushroom
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan or kadai.
- Add the whole garam masala - black cardamom, cinnamon, green cardamoms, cloves, tej patta and mace.
- Fry the whole garam masala till the oil becomes fragrant. Don't burn them.
- Add onions and fry till they begin to get golden.
- Be patient as onions do take time to get browned. Keep stirring the onions in between.
- Once the onions begin to get golden brown, add chopped green chilies and ginger-garlic paste. Sauté for a minute.
- Now add the tomatoes. Saute them till they become soft and mushy. keep on stirring the masala.
- Add all the dry spice powders - turmeric, coriander and red chili powder. Mix well.
- Then saute till oil leaves from the sides of the whole mixture.
- Lower the flame and add the marinated mushrooms.
- Also add the chopped methi leaves or dry methi leaves. Mix again.
- Add about ¼ to ½ cup of water. Also add salt as per taste. Do keep in mind that some salt has been added to the marination.
- Stir, cover the pan or kadai and simmer till the mushrooms are cooked.
- Do check in between and if the consistency looks dry then add some more water.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, then check the taste and add salt or spice powders if required.
- Garnish methi mushroom with some chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve methi mushroom hot with rotis or naan.
- Use fresh and full fat yogurt in the recipe or else there are chances of it getting spilt in the gravy.
- You can reduce or increase the amount of red chili powder, green chilies & ginger-garlic paste as per your preference.
- Instead of oil, you can also use ghee.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.