matar mushroom recipe with step by step photos – a semi dry delicious vegetable dish made with peas and mushroom. i have already posted the recipes of mushroom matar curry recipe made in south indian style before.
this recipe is more north indian style and also home style. usually i make matar mushroom this way. apart from this easy dish, i also make curry or gravy recipes with mushroom like:
you can replace mushroom with paneer or cottage cheese. mushroom and paneer goes well with most veggies and are often used to make rich curry dishes for vegetarians. in many recipes you can easily replace mushroom with paneer and vice versa. this is one such recipe.
if adding paneer, then just add them towards the end, once the peas are cooked and simmer for a couple of minutes.
you can have this matar mushroom with rotis, parathas, naan or as a side dish with dal tadka – rice or dal fry – rice combo. this peas mushroom curry is vegan as well as gluten free.
if you are looking for veggie recipes then do check:
matar mushroom recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR matar mushroom recipe
- 200 grams button mushrooms
- 2/3 or ¾ cup fresh or frozen peas (matar) *check notes
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon garam masala powder or punjabi garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1.5 teaspoon ginger garlic paste OR crushed ginger-garlic
- 2 cups water or as required. reduce the amount of water to 1 cup if using tender or frozen peas * check notes
- 2 to 3 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE matar mushroom recipe
- heat oil in a pan or kadai. add the finely chopped onions and saute till translucent.
- add crushed ginger-garlic or ginger-garlic paste. saute till the raw aroma disappears.
- add the chopped tomatoes and green chilies.
- stir and then add the spice powders - turmeric, red chilli, coriander powder.
- stir and saute till oil starts to leave the sides of the onion-tomato masala mixture.
- add the chopped mushrooms and peas.
- stir and saute for 2 to 3 mins. then add water and salt. add water as required. if using tender or frozen peas, then reduce the water to 1 cup. if using peas which are not tender or old, then add 2 cups of water or as required.
- in case there is too much water even after the peas or mushrooms are cooked, then reduce the water by simmering the matar mushroom curry without a lid for some more minutes till you get the desired consistency.
- in case the water become less, then add some more water. the consistency is a semi dry gravy or curry. so before the gravy reaches this consistency, the peas and mushrooms should be cooked well. so add water or reduce the water from the matar mushroom gravy accordingly.
- cover the pan with a lid and cook till the peas are softened.
- once done, sprinkle garam masala powder.
- stir and serve matar mushroom hot with rotis, naan or chapatis.
how to make matar mushroom recipe
1. heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai. add finely chopped 1 medium sized onion and saute till translucent.
2. add 1.5 tsp crushed ginger-garlic or ginger-garlic paste. saute till the raw aroma disappears.
3. add 3 medium sized finely chopped tomatoes and 1 chopped green chili. stir.
4. add the spice powders – ½ tsp turmeric, (¼ or ½) tsp red chili powder and 1 tsp coriander powder.
5. stir and saute till oil starts to leave the sides of the onion-tomato masala mixture.
6. add 200 grams chopped mushrooms and (⅔ or ¾) cup peas (matar).
7. stir and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
8. then add 2 cups water and salt as required. cover the pan with a lid and cook till the peas are softened. please check point no 7-9 and notes section in the recipe card above for more info on the quality of peas and amount of water to be added.
9. once done, sprinkle (¼ or ½) tsp garam masala powder.
10. stir and serve matar mushroom hot with rotis, naan, parathas or chapatis.