Cream of mushroom soup With step by step photos and video. I make this creamy, umami and flavorful mushroom soup recipe on occasions and it is always loved by everyone. When for the first time I had made the mushroom soup, it was a hit with us and also with our neighbors.
As a family, we love soups. I make various kinds of soups along with our family favorites – Tomato soup and Sweet corn soup. most of the times I make light and clear soups and on occasions I make thick and creamy soups.
How is cream of mushroom soup made
There are many ways a homemade cream of mushroom soup can be made. In the traditional method, a roux (flour and butter cooked together) is made first and then milk, water or vegetable stock or mushroom stock are poured in. Later sautéed or cooked mushrooms are tipped in. Finally, cream is added.
I follow the basic technique of making the recipe. The only difference I make to the basic method is that instead of adding the cooked mushrooms to the soup later, I sauté the mushrooms first, add the flour, add milk and then make the whole soup in one pot. Easy and quick – isn’t it?
This cream of mushroom soup is
- A one-pot soup Recipe.
- An Easy and quick Way of making homemade cream of mushroom soup.
- What you get is a Creamy and smooth soup comforting in any season.
- Purely vegetarian as chicken stock is not used in this recipe. You can use veg stock instead of water if you have vegetable stock ready.
- The roux is made with Whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour. both of them help in thickening in the soup and you can use the one which you prefer.
Is cream of mushroom soup gluten free
Cream of mushroom soup is not gluten free as wheat flour is used to make the roux. That said, a gluten free cream of mushroom soup can be made by substituting potato starch, tapioca starch or corn starch.
These starches aid in thickening the soup and also giving it a creamy consistency. In my cream of mushroom recipe, you can easily substitute any of these gluten free flours that I have mentioned above. The taste will slightly change when using tapioca starch and potato starch.
How to make cream of mushroom soup
1. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready for the soup (mise en place).
2. Rinse or wipe dry 200 to 250 grams of white button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms. Slice of the lower part of the base stalk of each mushroom. Then chop them in halves or quarters. You can even slice them.
Beginning to make cream of mushroom soup
3. Heat a heavy saucepan or pan. Keep the flame to a low or medium-low. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter (salted or unsalted) in the pan.
4. When the butter has almost melted then add one tej patta (Indian bay leaf) or bay leaf. Take care not to burn the butter.
5. Sauté till fragrant for about 2 to 3 seconds.
6. Add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions (about 1 small to medium-sized onion) and ½ teaspoon minced or finely chopped garlic (2 to 3 small to medium garlic cloves).
7. Mix and stir.
8. Sauté till the onions soften and become translucent.
Cooking mushrooms for mushroom soup
9. Add the sliced or chopped mushrooms.
10. Mix again. You will see the mushrooms releasing water after a few minutes.
11. Continue to sauté.
12. Sauté till all the water dries up in the pan. You can continue to cook till the mushrooms become a light brown. Then add 1 tablespoon of whole wheat flour (atta) or all purpose flour (maida).
13. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes on a low flame. Keep stirring often. The raw aroma of the flour should go away.
14. Then add freshly crushed black pepper or ground pepper as per taste.
15. Mix well.
Making cream of mushroom soup
16. Add 1 cup of water or vegetable stock or mushroom stock.
17. Stir and mix well.
18. Next add 1 cup whole milk or full-fat milk. Milk needs to be at room temperature when you add it.
19. Mix very well.
20. Season with salt as per taste.
21. Mix again.
22. On a low to medium-low flame let the mushroom soup come to a gentle simmer. The soup will begin to froth and bubble.
23. The soup would also begin to thicken.
24. Continue to simmer the mushroom soup for about 4 to 5 minutes more. The soup will thicken more. Stir at intervals.
25. Then add 6 tablespoons low fat cream (about 25% to 30% fat) or 3 to 4 tablespoons heavy cream or whipping cream. You can also add 7 to 8 tablespoons of half and half.
26. Stir and mix well.
27. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of chopped parsley or coriander leaves or any fresh herbs of your choice.
30. Simmer the cream of mushroom soup for 1 to 2 minutes more stirring often.
31. Lastly, sprinkle 1 to 2 pinches of ground nutmeg powder and stir. Nutmeg gives a nice pleasant aroma but can be skipped if you do not have it.
32. Switch off the flame and pour the mushroom soup in individual serving bowls. Serve the cream of mushroom soup steaming hot garnished with parsley or coriander leaves or croutons or a toasted bread by the side.
What to serve with mushroom soup
- You can serve a side of any sandwich or toast – any kind of stuffed or open toast sandwiches can be made.
- Crostini or bruschetta also pair well.
- A pasta or spaghetti dish can also be served.
- A side salad of mix vegetables or cherry tomatoes or potatoes can be made.
- A rice-based dish like a pilaf or a side of bread can also be served.
Looking for more soup recipes? Do check some of my favorite soup recipes.
This recipe is from the archives and was originally published on 1st jan 2014 . The post has been updated and republished on 12 october 2019.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
Cream of Mushroom Soup (One Pot)
- 200 to 250 grams button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms or 0.5 pounds button mushrooms
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions or 1 small to medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic or 2 to 3 small to medium-sized garlic, finely chopped (lahsun)
- 1 tejpatta (indian bay leaf) or bay leaf
- 1 to 2 pinches ground nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk whole or full fat - at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons cream, - low fat, about 25% to 30% fat (i used amul cream).
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour (atta) or all purpose flour (maida)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chopped parsley or coriander leaves (dhania patta) or any fresh soft herbs like thyme or basil
- freshly crushed black pepper as required
- salt as required
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley - can also use the same herb you add in the soup for garnishing like coriander, thyme or basil
sauteing onions and garlic
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the bay leaf and saute till fragrant for about 2 to 3 seconds.
- Add the finely chopped onions and garlic.
- Saute till the onions soften and become translucent.
cooking mushrooms for mushroom soup
- Add the sliced or chopped mushrooms and saute till the mushrooms start to release water.
- Saute till all the water dries up and the mushrooms become a light golden.
- Add the flour and saute for 3 to 4 minutes stirring often on a low to medium-low flame. The raw aroma of flour should go away.
- Then add freshly crushed black pepper and mix well.
making mushroom soup
- Add water first followed by milk.
- Stir well and season with salt.
- On a low to medium-low flame let the soup come to gentle simmer first.
- The mushroom soup would also begin to thicken. Stir at intervals.
- Simmer for about 4 to 5 minutes till the soup thickens more.
- Then add the cream and chopped parsley.
- Simmer mushroom soup or 1 to 2 minutes more stirring often.
- Lastly, sprinkle ground nutmeg powder and stir.
- Switch off the flame and pour the soup in individual serving bowls.
- Serve the cream of mushroom soup steaming hot garnished with parsley or coriander.
- Use fresh milk at room temperature. You can also warm or make the milk hot before adding.
- To increase the heat and warmth in the soup, you can add a little extra of black pepper powder. Use freshly crushed or powdered black pepper
- Nutmeg can be skipped.
- Recipe can be easily scaled to half or double or triple.
- Instead of button mushrooms you can use baby portabella mushrooms or cremini mushrooms.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later