cream of mushroom soup recipe with step by step photos. beginning the new year with a mushroom soup recipe. soups make rare appearances on my blog. but when they do, i make sure they are equally good. so when you guys make them at home, you are able to enjoy them as much as we do.
i generally don’t make creamy soups from any veggie. most of the times i end up making our family favorites – tomato soup and sweet corn soup. for the first time i made this cream of mushroom soup. it was a hit with us and also with our neighbors.
i checked a lot of recipes online and could not make up my mind. there are many many ways this recipe is made. since i am kind of a purist when it comes to food, i searched on wikipedia. i have followed the basic way the cream of mushroom is made using my own proportions, with just a slight alteration in the technique. instead of adding the cooked mushrooms to the soup later, i have sauteed the mushrooms first and then made the whole soup in one pot.
so this one-pot soup recipe is an easy and quick way of making cream of mushroom soup. the result was a creamy smooth soup comforting in the winters. i paired the soup with peas pulao and a vegetable salad.
to make the roux (flour and butter cooked together), i have used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour (maida). both of them help in thickening in the soup and you can use the one which you prefer. chicken stock is not used in this recipe. you can use veg stock instead of water if you have ready veg stock at home.
how to make mushroom soup
1. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for the soup.
2. rinse and chop 200 to 250 grams mushrooms.
beginning to make mushroom soup
3. melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan.
4. add one tej patta (indian bay leaf) or bay leaf.
5. sauté till fragrant or about 4-5 seconds.
6. add 1 small to medium-sized finely chopped onion and 2 to 3 chopped garlic.
7. stir well.
8. sauté till they soften and become translucent.
now cooking mushrooms for mushroom soup
9. add the sliced or chopped mushrooms.
10. mix and stir well.
11. sauté till the mushrooms start to release water.
12. sauté till all the water dries up and the mushrooms are a light brown. then add 1 tablespoon of whole wheat flour (atta) or all purpose flour (maida).
13. sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. keep stirring often.
14. then add freshly crushed black pepper powder as required.
15. sauté for half a minute.
cooking mushroom soup
16. add 1 cup of water or vegetable stock.
17. stir well.
18. next add 1 cup full-fat milk.
19. mix well.
20. season with salt.
21. stir well.
22. on a low flame let the mushroom soup come to a gentle simmer.
23. the soup would also begin to thicken.
24. simmer mushroom soup for about 4-5 minutes.
25. then add 6 tablespoon cream (about 25 to 30% fat).
26. stir and mix well.
27. add ½ teaspoon chopped parsley or coriander leaves.
30. simmer the mushroom soup for 2-3 minutes more stirring often.
31. lastly, sprinkle 1 to 2 pinch of nutmeg powder and stir.
32. switch off the stovetop and pour the mushroom soup in individual serving bowls. serve the cream of mushroom soup steaming hot garnished with parsley or coriander leaves.
looking for more soup recipes? do check some of my favorite soup recipes.
INGREDIENTS FOR mushroom soup
- 200 to 250 grams button mushrooms
- 1 small to medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (lahsun)
- 1 tejpatta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 to 2 pinch nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup full fat milk at room temperature
- 6 tablespoon cream, about 25-30% fat (i used amul cream)
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour (atta) or all purpose flour (maida)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon chopped parsley or coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- freshly crushed black pepper as required
- salt as required
- a few chopped parsley or coriander leaves for garnishing
HOW TO MAKE mushroom soup
- melt the butter in a sauce pan.
- add the bay leaf and saute till fragrant - about 4-5 seconds.
- add the chopped onions and garlic.
- saute till they soften and become translucent.
cooking mushrooms for mushroom soup
- add the sliced or chopped mushrooms and saute till the mushrooms start to release water.
- saute till all the water dries up and the mushrooms are a light brown.
- add the flour and saute for 3-4 minutes stirring often.
- then add freshly crushed black pepper and saute for half a minute.
making mushroom soup
- add water first followed by milk.
- stir well and season with salt.
- on a low flame let the soup come to gentle simmer
- the mushroom soup would also begin to thicken.
- simmer for about 4-5 minutes.
- then add the cream and chopped parsley.
- simmer mushroom soup or 2-3 minutes more stirring often.
- lastly sprinkle nutmeg powder and stir.
- switch off the stove top and pour the soup in individual serving bowls.
- serve the cream of mushroom soup steaming hot garnished with parsley or coriander.
2. to increase the heat and warmth in the soup, you can add a little extra of black pepper powder. use freshly crushed or powdered black pepper.