mushroom vindaloo recipe with step by step photos – now for a spicy and hot recipe of mushroom vindaloo. vindaloo/vindalho is a portuguese goan recipe and is usually made with chicken or pork. i have seen the pork & chicken vindaloo featured in many of the restaurants’ menus in goa.
the portuguese goan cuisine offers really good recipes like xacuti recipe, ambotik recipe, cafrael recipe, bafad recipe, sorpotel recipe, but they are all made with meat. so the only option for vegetarians is to make the same recipe with veggies or eggs if you are an eggetarian.
generally the vindaloo paste is made and the meat is marinated in the paste. however, for vegetables you don’t need to do this, as whilst cooking the veggies will absorb the flavors of the vindaloo paste.
what you need to make the vindaloo paste is some dry red chilies, our usual indian whole garam masala and vinegar, preferably malt vinegar. using kashmiri red chilies gives a nice red tinge to the vindaloo.
vindaloo is best had with plain boiled rice or the goan bread/pav. you can also have it with pav. the spiciness of the dish can be reduced by using less amount of red chilies.
adding fried potatoes is optional and you could skip this part if you do not want potatoes in the vindaloo. but let me tell you, potatoes taste good in the vindaloo.
this recipe of mushroom vindaloo is strongly flavored with the spices and is a fiery, hot and very spicy recipe. reduce the amount of red chilies, ginger, garlic and spices if you want a less spicy mushroom vindaloo.
if you are looking for more mushroom recipes then do check:
INGREDIENTS FOR mushroom vindaloo
for the vindaloo masala paste
- 7 to 8 kashmiri red chilies, deseeded
- ⅓ cup hot water, for soaking chilies
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 4 to 5 cloves (lavang)
- 2 cinnamon, each of 1 inch
- 8 to 10 black peppercorns/sabut kali mirch
- ¾ inch piece of ginger (adrak)
- 6 to 7 small to medium sized garlic cloves (lahsun)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1.5 tablespoon malt vinegar or regular vinegar or balsamic vinegar or coconut vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons water for grinding or add as required
for mushroom vindaloo gravy
- 200 grams button mushrooms, rinsed and chopped
- 1 medium sized potato, cubed
- 1 medium sized onions, chopped
- 1 to 2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 to 2.5 tablespoons oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 to 1.5 cups of water (add more water if you want a thin curry)
- salt as per requirement
HOW TO MAKE mushroom vindaloo
making vindaloo masala paste
- soak dry red chilies in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes.
- then grind all the spices, herbs, including red chilies - mentioned above 'for the vindaloo masala paste' with vinegar and 5 to 6 tablespoons of water to a smooth paste.
making mushroom vindaloo
- heat oil and fry the potato cubes till golden. drain and keep aside.
- then in the same pan, add the chopped onions & sauté till they become translucent.
- add chopped mushrooms and 1 to 2 chopped green chilies.
- saute the mushrooms on medium flame. keep stirring mushrooms till all the water dries up.
- now add the vindaloo masala paste. start sautéing the vindaloo paste for some 7-8 mins on a low flame.
- then add 1 to 1.5 cups of water or according to the desired consistency you want. also add salt as required.
- cook the mushroom vindaloo gravy for some more 7 to 8 minutes. soon the vindaloo gravy will start to thicken.
- then add the fried potatoes. simmer for a minute.
- garnish mushroom vindaloo with coriander leaves.
- serve mushroom vindaloo hot with steamed plain rice or rotis or bread or paratha.
- i have cooked the mushrooms while making the vindaloo, but if you have the time and patience, you could also fry the mushrooms and keep aside. once you have fried the masala paste well, add water and let it simmer. then you add the fried mushrooms and potatoes and simmer for a few minutes so that the mushrooms absorbs the flavors of the vindaloo paste.
- i have used kashmiri red chilies, but you could use any kind of red chilies or even a combination of red chilies.
- the vindaloo can also be made with veggies like aubergines, cauliflower, mix veggies and also tofu and paneer. if using tofu or paneer, then marinate the tofu/paneer with the vindaloo paste for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- reduce the number of chilies if you want the vindaloo to be less spicy.
preparation to make mushroom vindaloo
1. soak 7 to 8 dry kashmiri red chilies in ⅓ cup hot water for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. in the pic below you see all the ingredients for making the vindaloo paste. lets begin with the masala ingredients – in the center are soaked kashmiri chilies. clockwise from left are 1 tablespoons of coriander seeds, ½ tablespoon cumin seeds, 2 cinnamon of 1 inch each, 4 to 5 cloves, 8 to 10 black peppercorns, ¾ inch ginger (chopped)and 6 to 7 small sized garlic (chopped).
3. take all of the above from the plate to the grinder jar. also add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder.
4. next add 1.5 tablespoon of vinegar or malt vinegar. you can also use coconut vinegar. i have used malt vinegar. also add 5 to 6 tablespoons of water.
5. grind to a smooth paste.
making mushroom vindaloo
6. in a pan, heat 2 to 2.5 tablespoons oil. add the potatoes and pan fry them.
7. fry the potatoes till light brown in color.
8. keep them aside.
9. in the same pan, add ⅓ cup chopped onions. you can add some more oil if required.
10. saute till they become translucent.
11. then add 200 grams of chopped mushrooms and 1 to 2 chopped green chilies.
12. saute the mushrooms for 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat. the mushrooms will first begin to release water.
13. keep stirring and sautéing mushrooms till the water dries up.
14. now add the vindaloo masala paste.
15. start sautéing the vindaloo paste.
16. saute for some 7 to 8 minutes on a low flame.
17. then add 1 to 1.5 cups of water according to the desired consistency you want. also add salt as required.
18. stir well.
19. simmer for 7 to 8 minutes on a low to medium flame. the vindaloo gravy will start to thicken.
20. then add the fried potatoes.
21. simmer for a minute.
22. finally garnish mushroom vindaloo with 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves. serve mushroom vindaloo hot with steamed basmati rice.