oats halwa recipe with step by step photos. a delicious, quick oats halwa recipe made in less than 30 minutes.
this is a quick and delicious oats halwa recipe made from quick cooking oats, mawa (evaporated solids), milk, sugar and ghee. to make the halwa fragrant, i have also added cardamom and nutmeg powder. mawa (evaporated solids) gives a nice texture and taste to the halwa.
mawa is often added in many indian sweets like coconut ladoo, gulab jamun, rava ladoo. you can buy the khoya from outside or can also make khoya at home. recipe made using khoya are usually quick and easy. so is this oats halwa recipe which is tasty and at the same time healthy.
we have developed a taste and liking for oats. now i prepare a lot of recipes from oats. although, our favorite oats recipes are:
you can serve oats halwa as breakfast or a dessert post meal. best part is you can serve oats halwa warm or at room temperature. either ways it tastes good.
oats halwa recipe card below:
oats halwa recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- ½ cup mawa (khoya or evaporated milk solids) - grated or crumbled,
- 2 cups milk
- ⅓ cup sugar or add as required
- 6 to 7 cashews chopped (kaju) - optional
- 3 to 4 almonds chopped (badam) - optional
- 3 to 4 pistachios chopped (pista) - optional
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom powder (choti elaichi powder)
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- 1 pinch saffron strands (kesar) - optional
how to make recipe
- chop the dry fruits and keep all the ingredients ready for making oats halwa recipe.
- heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a kadai or pan.
- add 1 cup oats. stir well and saute for 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame.
- then add 1/2 cup of crumbled or grated mawa or khoya.
- begin to stir. stir and saute the mawa on a low flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- add 2 cups of milk and stir well.
- then add 1/3 cup of sugar. stir and mix very well. simmer for 2 minutes, till the sugar dissolves.
- then add chopped dry fruits and cook for more 2 minutes.
- sprinkle a pinch of saffron strands and stir.
- simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. keep stirring continuously.
- then sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon cardamom powder and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg powder.
keep stirring and cooking for 2 to 3 minutes and you will see the oats halwa getting thickened.
switch off the flame when the milk has been absorbed and the oats halwa has thickened. do not thicken too much as the halwa will thicken more as it cools down.
serve oats halwa warm or at room temperature. you can also refrigerate the halwa and serve it chilled.
oats halwa stays good for 2 to 3 days in the fridge.
tips for making oats halwa recipe:
- adding dry fruits and saffron is optional. you can skip dry fruits if you want or you can add dry fruits of your choice.
- if you use rolled oats, then you will need to add more milk.
- you can even make oats halwa with a combination of half milk and half water.
how to make oats halwa recipe:
1. chop the dry fruits and keep all the ingredients ready for making oats halwa recipe.
2. heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a thick bottomed kadai or pan.
3. add 1 cup oats.
4. stir well and saute for 2 to 3 mins on a low flame.
5. then add ½ cup crumbled or grated mawa or khoya.
6. begin to stir.
7. stir and saute the mawa on a low flame for 2 to 3 mins.
8. then add 2 cups of milk.
9. stir and mix well.
10. add ⅓ cup of sugar.
11. stir again. simmer for 2 minutes, till the sugar dissolves.
12. add chopped dry fruits and cook for 2 minutes.
13. add a pinch of saffron strands.
14. simmer for 3 to 4 mins and keep stirring continuously.
15. add ⅛ teaspoon cardamom powder and ⅛ teaspoon grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder.
16. keep stirring and cooking for 2 to 3 minutes more. you will see the oats halwa getting thickened.
17. the halwa will continue to thicken, so do keep stirring continuously.
18. switch off the flame when the milk has been absorbed and oats halwa has thickened. do not thicken too much as the halwa will thicken more as it cools down.
serve oats halwa warm or at room temperature. you can also refrigerate the halwa and serve it chilled. oats halwa will last for 2 to 3 days in the fridge.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe