Kheer is one of the most popular desserts in India and when it comes to choices for breakfast, oats is one of the most chosen and preferred ones. So, I thought of bringing these 2 ingredients together in this unique, yet super easy and simple recipe of Oats Kheer or Oats Payasam. This way you can use your oats in another way rather than just having it as a breakfast bowl. This is a delicious kheer made with quick cooking oats, milk, ghee and sugar. Flavorings include cardamom, saffron and some dry fruits.
About Oats Kheer
This Oats Kheer easily qualifies as your dessert or a breakfast cum oatmeal. Basically, if you are bored of consuming oats the same old way, I would suggest to use it in the form of this amazing kheer along with just a few more basic ingredients.
I have also shared this sweet recipe of Oats Kheer since I have been getting a lot of requests for recipes with oats. We can’t really ignore the fact that oats are an important part of our diets these days. And sometimes, it is always good to use it in preparing dishes that usually cannot be imagined with it.
This Oats Kheer is ultra-simple and quick. You can make this kheer literally in less than 20 minutes. So, when you are in a rush, this hassle-free recipe can be your go-to thing for a lovely dessert. Most of the other ingredients too are easily available in our home kitchens.
The ghee in this recipe gives it a rich flavor and aroma. Whereas, the quick cooking oats bring in a nice texture and the nuts and dry fruits add a nutty mouth-feel. However, adding dry fruits and nuts is an optional step. Also, you can adjust the quantity of sugar according to your sweet preferences.
Serve this Oats Kheer warm or chilled, for breakie or as a super sweet dish after your meals. Whichever way you choose to have it, it is going to an amazing dish for your palate.
How to make Oats Kheer
1. Chop the dry fruits, nuts and keep all the ingredients ready for making Oats Kheer.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a kadai or pan.
3. Add ½ cup quick cooking oats. You could also use rolled oats, but then you will need to add some more milk and the cooking time will increase.
4. Stir well and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes on low heat.
5. Then, add 3 cups milk.
6. Next, add ⅓ cup sugar. You can add less or more sugar, as per your taste preferences.
7. Mix very well.
8. Simmer the kheer mixture on low to medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes or till the oats soften and the sugar is dissolved.
9. Then, add 3 to 4 chopped almonds, 3 to 4 chopped, 6 to 7 chopped cashews, 1 tablespoon golden raisins, a pinch of saffron strands and ¼ teaspoon green cardamom powder.
10. Simmer for 2 minutes more and switch off the heat. Don’t cook the kheer too much, or else it will become too thick. When the kheer cools, it will thicken more.
11. Serve Oats Kheer or Oats Payasam warm or cold as a breakfast or sweet dessert after meals.
- Dry fruits, nuts and saffron are optional in this recipe. You can skip adding these, if you prefer.
- If adding dry fruits and nuts, you can add your preferred choice.
- The quantity of sugar can also be altered as per your requirements. It can be less or more.
- Avoid cooking the Oats Kheer too much, as by doing so, it will become thick. Keep in mind that kheer will thicken once it cools.
- If you have leftover kheer, then you can refrigerate it and consume within 1 to 2 days. While serving, lightly warm it. If the kheer has turned very thick, then you can add some milk and then reheat until warm.
More Kheer Recipes To Try!
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Oats Kheer | Oats Payasam
- 1 tablespoon Ghee (clarified butter)
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- 3 cups milk
- ⅓ cup sugar or add as per taste
- ¼ teaspoon green cardamom powder
- 1 pinch saffron strands – optional
- 3 to 4 almonds – chopped, optional
- 3 to 4 pistachios – chopped, optional
- 6 to 7 cashews – chopped, optional
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins – chopped, optional
- Chop all the dry fruits and nuts and set aside. Keep all the ingredients ready for the recipe.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in a thick bottomed pan.
- Add quick cooking oats.
- Stir well and saute for 2 to 3 mins on low heat.
- Then add milk and sugar. Mix well.
- Simmer the kheer for 2 to 3 minutes or more on a low to medium-low heat, till the oats soften and all of the sugar is dissolved.
- Add chopped dry fruits, pinch of saffron strands and cardamom powder.
- Simmer for 2 minutes more and switch off the heat.
- Don't cook the kheer for a longer time as this will make up for a thick consistency. Keep in mind that when the oats kheer cools at room temperature then it will thicken more.
- Serve oats kheer warm or cold as a breakfast or a sweet dessert after meals.
- You could also add rolled oats but remember to add some more milk. The time taken to cook rolled oats will be more than cooking instant oats or quick cooking oats. Cooking rolled oats in this recipe will take about 10 to 12 minutes or more.
- Adding dry fruits and saffron is optional. You can skip dry fruits if you want.
- You can add dry fruits of your choice.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Oats Khee recipe post from the archives, first published on October 2016 has been updated and republished on October 2022.
I have always looked up to your recipes. There’s so much that I have got to learn from you. As always, this kheer also turned out to be awesome.
thank you much kanchan. thanks for the feedback and rating on oats kheer recipe too. welcome and happy cooking.
Its soo yummy and also healthy first time made kheer has won the hearts of my members thank you
thanks a lot shiv.
Tried the oats kheer today…nd it turned out superr yummmmyy…my parents luved it… even i usually dont like kheers so much…but i too luved it a lot..thnxx Dear Dassana di for sharing such suppperb recepie
thats nice to know samreen and thank you for this feedback. most welcome 🙂