oats khichdi recipe with step by step photos – healthy and delicious one pot oats khichdi made with oats, mix vegetable and moong dal.
one of the ways i include oats in our diet is by preparing oats khichdi. oats dosa, oats idli and this oats khichdi are some of our family favorite recipe with oats. so at times i prepare this oats khichdi and give a skip to the regular moong dal khichdi.
i always add some veggies in it for some more nutrition. addition of veggies also make the khichdi more tasty. otherwise kids won’t like the bland taste of oats. the recipe is very easy and similar to the way khichdi is made. you can add veggies of your choice also. i add whatever spare veggies i have in the fridge. the recipe is also quick to prepare.
you can use quick cooking oats as well as rolled oats to prepare the recipe. if using rolled oats, then just add some more water. the recipe can doubled or tripled. you can even halve the recipe and prepare this khichdi for 1-2 person only, as not everyone is fond of oats.
oats khichdi can be served plain or along with some curd, raita or pickle. i simply drizzle some lemon juice and have it.
oats khichdi recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1.5 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ⅓ cup chopped onions OR 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger OR ½ inch ginger - finely chopped
- 1 green chili - chopped
- ⅓ cup tomatoes OR 1 small to medium sized tomatoes
- ⅓ cup chopped carrots
- ⅓ cup chopped potatoes
- ⅓ cup green peas - fresh or frozen
- ⅓ cup moong dal (split and husked moong lentils)
- ⅓ cup quick cooking oats or rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- 2.5 cups water or add as required
- salt as required
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
how to make oats khichdi recipe
in a 2 litre pressure cooker, first heat 1.5 tablespoons ghee. then add 1 small tej patta and 1 teaspoon cumin seeds. let the cumin seeds crackle.
then add ⅓ cup chopped onions.
saute onions till they turn translucent.
then add ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger and 1 green chili, chopped. saute for a few seconds.
next add ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes.
saute till tomatoes soften.
then add the mixed veggies. you can add veggies of your choice. saute veggies for a minute.
then add ⅓ cup moong dal which has been rinsed.
mix very well.
next add ⅓ cup oats.
also add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and ¼ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder.
mix very well. add 2.5 cups water. season with salt and mix again.
cover the cooker with its lid and pressure cook on medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes.
when pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid and stir the oats khichdi.
serve oats khichdi hot or warm with a garnish of chopped coriander leaves. you can accompany some salad, pickle, raita, yogurt or drizzle some lemon juice on top of oats khichdi.
- recipe can be halved or doubled.
- for a no spicy oats khichdi, skip green chilies, red chili powder and add less ginger.
- for a no onion no garlic khichdi, just skip the onions.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - oats khichdi recipe on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make oats khichdi recipe
1. in a 2 litre pressure cooker, first heat 1.5 tablespoons ghee. then add 1 small tej patta and 1 teaspoon cumin seeds. let the cumin seeds crackle.
2. then add ⅓ cup chopped onions.
3. saute onions till they turn translucent.
4. then add ⅓ teaspoon finely chopped ginger and 1 green chili, chopped. saute for a few seconds.
5. next add ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes.
6. saute till tomatoes soften.
7. then add the mixed veggies. i added ⅓ cup chopped carrots, ⅓ cup green peas and ⅓ cup potatoes. you can add veggies of your choice. saute veggies for a minute.
8. then add ⅓ cup moong dal which has been rinsed.
9. mix very well.
10. next add ⅓ cup quick cooking oats.
11. also add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and ¼ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder.
12. mix very well.
13. add 2.5 cups water.
14. season with salt.
15. mix again.
16. cover the cooker with its lid and pressure cook on medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes.
17. when pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid and stir the oats khichdi.