Oats khichdi recipe with step by step photos – healthy and delicious one-pot oats khichdi made with oats, mix vegetable and moong dal. This recipe is also quick to prepare.
One of the ways I include Oats in our diet is by preparing oats khichdi. Oats dosa, Oats idli and this oats khichdi are some of our family favorite recipes with oats. So at times I prepare this recipe and give a skip to the regular mung lentil khichdi.
I always add some veggies in it for some more nutrition. Addition of veggies also makes the oats khichdi more tasty. otherwise kids won’t like the bland taste of oats. The recipe is very easy and similar to the way khichdi is made.
Tips for making oats khichdi
- You can add veggies of your choice also. I add whatever spare veggies I have in the fridge.
- You can use quick-cooking oats as well as rolled oats to prepare the recipe. If using rolled oats, then just add some more water.
- For a no spicy oats khichdi, skip green chilies, red chili powder and add less ginger.
- For a no onion no garlic khichdi, just skip the onions.
- The recipe can be doubled or tripled. You can even halve the recipe and prepare this khichdi for 1-2 people only, as not everyone is fond of oats.
It can be served plain or along with some curd, raita or pickle. I simply drizzle some lemon juice and have it.
How to make oats khichdi
1. In a 2 litre pressure cooker, first heat 1.5 tablespoons ghee. Then add 1 small tej patta (Indian bay leaf) and 1 teaspoon cumin seeds. Let the cumin seeds crackle.
2. Then add ⅓ cup chopped onions.
3. Saute onions till they turn translucent.
4. Then add ⅓ teaspoon finely chopped ginger and 1 green chili, chopped. Saute for a few seconds.
5. Next add ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes.
6. Saute till tomatoes soften.
7. Then add the mixed veggies. I added ⅓ cup chopped carrots, ⅓ cup green peas and ⅓ cup potatoes. You can add veggies of your choice. Saute veggies for a minute.
8. Then add ⅓ cup moong dal which has been rinsed.
9. Mix very well.
10. Next add ⅓ cup quick cooking oats.
11. Also add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and ¼ teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder.
12. Mix very well.
Cooking oats khichdi
13. Add 2.5 cups of water.
14. Season with salt.
15. Mix again.
16. Cover the cooker with its lid and pressure cook on a medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes.
17. When the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid and stir the oats khichdi.
18. Serve oats khichdi hot or warm with a garnish of chopped coriander leaves. You can accompany some salad, pickle, raita, yogurt or drizzle some lemon juice on top of oats khichdi.
Few more similar recipes for you !
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 1.5 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- ⅓ cup chopped onions or 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger or ½ inch ginger - finely chopped
- 1 green chili - chopped
- ⅓ cup tomatoes or 1 small to medium sized tomatoes
- ⅓ cup chopped carrots
- ⅓ cup chopped potatoes
- ⅓ cup green peas - fresh or frozen
- ⅓ cup moong dal (split and husked moong lentils)
- ⅓ cup quick cooking oats or rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2.5 cups water or add as required
- salt as required
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- In a 2 litre pressure cooker, first heat 1.5 tablespoons ghee. Then add 1 small tej patta and 1 teaspoon cumin seeds. Let the cumin seeds crackle.
- Then add ⅓ cup chopped onions.
- Saute onions till they turn translucent.
- Then add ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger and 1 green chili, chopped. Saute for a few seconds.
- Next add ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes.
- Saute till tomatoes soften.
- Then add the mixed veggies. You can add veggies of your choice. Saute veggies for a minute.
- Then add ⅓ cup moong dal which has been rinsed. mix very well.
cooking oats khichdi
- Next add ⅓ cup oats.
- Also add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and ¼ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder.
- Mix very well. add 2.5 cups water. Season with salt and mix again.
- Cover the cooker with its lid and pressure cook on medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes.
- When pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid and stir the oats khichdi.
- Serve oats khichdi hot or warm with a garnish of chopped coriander leaves. You can accompany some salad, pickle, raita, yogurt or drizzle some lemon juice on top of oats khichdi.
- Recipe can be halved or doubled.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.