Avocado sandwich that comes quickly together in less than 30 minutes and is made with a guacamole filling of ripe creamy avocado, crunchy onions, flavorful herbs and bold spices. I make these tasty guacamole sandwiches whenever I have avocados, bread and no time 🙂 They make for a hearty snack or a quick breakfast or brunch.
About This Avocado Sandwich
An avocado sandwich is a filling bread snack that can be made when you are super busy and want something to munch on in a jiffy. All you need is a ripe avocado and some bread. If you want you can pair the toast with some cheese, Hummus or tahini.
The bread that I have used here is white bread. But you can also make these sandwiches with brown bread or whole wheat bread or any other type of bread.
I have toasted the sandwich in the pan. If you have a hand toaster or sandwich grill, you can even use these or even bake them in the oven.
There is already a Guacamole Recipe on my blog. If you are interested you can have a look. In this guacamole recipe I have added olive oil just to enhance its taste and also because I love olive oil. Another recipe, where you can include avocado in your diet is Avocado Toast.
Always be creative when you make food and remember you add your own creative touch to this guacamole sandwich as well, like adding baby tomatoes or dry tomatoes or herbs or any seasonings or spices.
How to make Avocado Sandwich
Preparing the Avocado Filling
1. Take a ripe avocado on a chopping board. With a knife give a cut at the center moving around the entire avocado. Remove the seed and cut the avocado into halves.
2. Remove the ripe pulp with the help of a spoon and discard the seed. Take the avocado pulp in a big bowl.
3. Then add the following ingredients to the avocado pulp:
- 1 small to medium-sized onion (about ¼ to ⅓ cup finely chopped)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro). Instead of coriander you can add parsley.
- ½ to 1 teaspoon finely chopped green chilies (or 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeño pepper)
4. Next add 1 small to medium garlic clove (finely chopped or minced or crushed finely), ½ teaspoon black pepper powder and salt as required.
5. Now add ½ teaspoon of lemon juice or according to taste just to give a slight tang to the guacamole filling.
6. Mix all the ingredients very well.
7. Lastly add 2 teaspoons olive oil (optional).
8. Mix very well and also mash the avocado while mixing. Keep this guacamole stuffing aside. Do a taste test and if needed add some more salt, black pepper or lemon juice.
Making Avocado Sandwich
9. Grilling or toasting these sandwiches are optional. You can simply spread the guacamole filling on lightly buttered bread and make the sandwiches.
To toast the sandwiches you can do so on a skillet or frying pan or an electric toaster or panini press.
Here I show you how to grill the avocado sandwiches in a pan. First heat the pan on medium flame. I have used a grill pan to toast the guacamole sandwiches.
Note: You can also toast these sandwiches in an oven. For toasting in the oven, do check the notes section below in the recipe card.
10. Spread the guacamole stuffing on the bread slices. If you want you can lightly brush the bread with olive oil or spread some softened butter on the bread.
You can use any type of sandwich bread. For a healthier version use whole meal bread or multi grain bread or rye bread.
11. Cover with another slice of bread.
Toasting Guacamole Sandwich
12. Press gently and place the sandwich in the hot pan.
13. Check after 2 to 3 minutes and then flip the sandwich. The bottom side of the sandwich can be lightly toasted or fully toasted according to your preferences.
14. You can also drizzle some butter or olive oil and toast the sandwich on the pan. I have toasted the sandwich with butter and without butter. Both ways they taste good.
15. Check if the second side has been toasted by turning over the sandwich. Then remove the toasted avocado sandwich. Similar way assemble and then toast the other sandwiches with or without butter or olive oil until golden.
17. Slice the sandwich into triangles or squares.
You can also serve these sandwiches as an after school snack or as a tea time snack.
If you are looking for more sandwich varieties then do check:
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Avocado Sandwich | Guacamole Sandwich
- 1 ripe avocado – medium to large
- ¼ to ⅓ cup finely chopped onions or 1 small to medium sized onion
- ½ to 1 teaspoon finely chopped green chilies or 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno
- 1 garlic clove small to medium-sized, minced or finely chopped or crushed finely
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper or ground white pepper, add as required
- 2 teaspoons olive oil – optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice or add according to taste
- salt as required
- 8 slices white bread or brown bread or whole wheat bread
- Take a ripe avocado on a chopping board. With a knife give a cut at the center moving around the entire avocado. Remove the seed and cut the avocado into halves.
- Remove the ripe pulp with the help of a spoon. Take the avocado pulp in a big bowl.
- Add finely chopped onions, chopped coriander leaves and finely chopped green chili to the avocado pulp.
- Next add garlic clove (finely chopped or crushed finely), black pepper powder and salt as required.
- Now add the lemon juice as per taste.
- Mix all the ingredients very well.
- Lastly add olive oil (optional).
- Mix very well and also mash the avocado while mixing. Keep this guacamole stuffing aside.
Making Avocado Sandwich
- Heat a pan on a medium heat. You can also toast the sandwiches in a hand held toaster or electric toast sandwich maker.
- Spread the guacamole stuffing on the bread slices. Cover with another slice of bread.
- Press gently and place the guacamole sandwich in the hot pan.
- Check after 2 to 3 minutes and then flip the sandwich.
- You can also drizzle some butter or olive oil and toast the sandwich on the pan.
- Check if the second side has been toasted by turning over the sandwich. When done, then remove the toasted guacamole sandwich.
- Similar way toast the other sandwiches with or without olive oil or butter until golden.
- Cut into triangles or squares.
- Serve avocado sandwich hot or warm with any dip or sauce of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius/356 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place the sandwich in a baking tray and then place in the preheated oven. You can choose to brush the sandwiches with some olive oil or butter prior to toasting them in the oven.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius/356 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden and crisp. If needed turn over half-way and then continue to bake so that the both the sides are toasted evenly.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Avocado Sandwich post from the archives (May 2012) has been republished and updated on 20 September 2021.