mexican guacamole recipe with step by step photos – guacamole is a favorite at home and also one of mine quick breakfast or dinner solutions when i am too tired or busy to make anything else.
just making this famous mexican dip takes 5 minutes and there you go… have it with toast or any bread like whole wheat bread, brown bread or white bread. or another option is to make a grilled or toast sandwich from it. all you need are ripe avocados. and the common veggies found in the kitchen like onion, garlic and tomatoes.
avocado is one fruit i love. as a kid, i remember reading about avocado the first time in a bollywood film glossy, where a famous film actress used to apply avocado face pack on her face. she used to import the avocados from outside india :-0
when i read the article, i was like… what are these avocados? and why the face pack? … now of course i know why… coz they are rich in vitamin e and vitamin e is good for the skin.
avocados are also rich in the b group vitamins and vitamin k. also high in potassium. they are also rich in fibre. so do include avocados in your diet. so obviously, also good for children. when making this for kids, just skip the chilies and black pepper to avoid the heat.
i used to see avocados in bangalore and goa, but did not know what to do with them. so they would never make it to my vegetable groceries.
later was introduced again to this amazing fruit when a friend made the simplest guacamole i had… and i liked it so much. from then on i have been experimenting with guacamole and finally come to this version which we love at home. much richer and better in taste than the friend’s version who introduced us to guacamole.
since i am recipe freak, i am always trying to make innovative, healthy and delicious recipes. i am still finding for ways to incorporate avocado in the normal indian food that we have.
i prefer guacamole with herbs and its really good with coriander leaves. i have made guacamole with basil too, but i prefer coriander to basil. the basil one is also good. you can choose your choice of herbs to be added in the guacamole.
if you are looking for similar recipes then do check:
INGREDIENTS FOR guacamole recipe
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- 1 tomato, finely chopped (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- a few chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves or dhania patta)
- few drops of lemon juice
- black salt or rock salt
HOW TO MAKE guacamole recipe
- cut the avocado into two. remove the ripe pulp.
- mix it with the rest of the chopped ingredients, salt and lemon juice except tomatoes.
- mash the avocado whilst mixing.
- serve the guacamole topped with chopped tomatoes with toasted bread or nachos.
how to make guacamole recipe
1. cut the avocado from the center and keep on rotating the knife in a circle at the center. open up the avocados in two halves. remove the large seed. now with a spoon scoop out the avocados. if the avocados are ripe, the flesh will come out easily. please ignore my overused chopping board.
2. in another bowl, add all the chopped onions, chilies, coriander leaves. add the chopped avocado to this bowl.
3. mash lightly with the spoon. add a few drops of lemon juice and black salt and black pepper powder. mix well.
4. you can also add some chopped tomatoes to it whilst serving.
5. serve the guacamole with bread toast or have it with mexican nachos. the leftover guacamole can be kept in the fridge tightly covered with a lid or cling film. stays best for a day in the refrigerator.