Gobi Manchurian Recipe – Gobi Manchurian is a popular indo chinese recipe and is super delicious and tasty.
Gobi Manchurian is made from Cauliflower florets also known as Gobi or Gobhi. This recipe of Gobi Manchurian has a sauce. If you are looking for a dry version then you can check this gobi manchurian dry recipe or you can also check the notes section in the recipe details below.
Gobi manchurian recipe card below:
Gobi Manchurian Recipe
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
for the gobi manchurian sauce:
- 2 to 3 small to medium spring onions, chopped, about ½ cup finely chopped spring onions whites. reserve the greens for garnish.
- 3 teaspoons finely chopped ginger (adrak)
- 3 teaspoons finely chopped garlic (lahsun)
- ½ tablespoon chopped celery, optional
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- ½ to 1 tablespoon soy sauce or add as per your taste
- 1 tablespoon corn starch + ¼ cup water to make the corn starch paste
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon oil
- 1.25 to 1.5 cups water
- salt as required
for the manchurian batter:
- 1 medium gobi/cauliflower
- 1 cup maida or all purpose flour
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cornflour (corn starch)
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger-garlic or ginger-garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¾ cup water
- oil for deep or shallow frying
- salt as required
HOW TO MAKE RECIPE
Preparing the Gobi florets:
- Firstly clean and break the gobi in to medium sized or big florets. Boil water with salt and keep the florets in the salted water for 15-20 minutes. You can also boil the gobi for 3-4 minutes in plenty of salted water.
- Drain and dry on a clean cloth.
Making the batter & frying the gobi florets:
- Mix all the ingredients listed for batter except for cauliflower.
- Dip the florets in the batter one by one and deep fry in hot oil. Keep aside.
- Remove the extra oil and just keep about 1 to 1.5 tbsp oil in the pan.
Making the Gobi manchurian sauce:
- In the same pan, add chopped spring onions and stir fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the remaining ginger, garlic, celery and green chilies and stir fry for half a minute.
- Now add the soy sauce, black pepper and salt. Add 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add 1 tablespoon corn starch to 1/4 cup water and dissolve well. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Reduce the flame and gradually add the corn starch paste to the gravy and stir continuously. Keep on stirring the gravy while adding the corn starch paste.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes till the sauce becomes thick and the corn starch gets cooked.
- Add the fried florets and stir. Simmer for a minute.
- Garnish Gobi Manchurian with the spring onion greens & Serve the Gobi Manchurian hot with noodles or rice.
Tips for Gobi Manchurian Recipe:
- To add some sweet notes to the sauce, you can also add 1 or 2 tbsp tomato sauce to the gravy.
- This recipe is for gobi manchurian with gravy or sauce. You can make dry gobi manchurian by not adding water. Instead of water you add the fried florets, soya sauce, black pepper and salt. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon cornflour on the florets and stir fry for 2 minutes. Serve gobi manchurian hot with chilli-garlic sauce or tomato sauce.
- The dry gobi manchurian can be served as a starter or a side vegetable.
- Fry the gobi florets in oil which is neither too hot nor warm.
- You can substitute dry red chillies instead of green chillies. Just crush them and use.
- You could also use fine strips of capsicum in the recipe.
- Ajinomoto can be completely avoided in the recipe or used sparingly.
- If you like the taste of red chilli sauce or tomato sauce, you could use these sauces too.