Gobi Manchurian is a popular indo chinese recipe and is super delicious and tasty. Gobi Manchurian is made from Cauliflower florets also known as Gobi or Gobhi.
This recipe of Gobi Manchurian has a sauce. If you are looking for a dry version of gobi manchurian then please check the notes section in the recipe details below.
Lets begin step by step Gobi Manchurian Recipe:
1: firstly chop or break the gobi/cauliflower in medium size florets. heat water with salt and boil it. rinse the cauliflower florets and add them to the hot water. let them get blanched in the water for 15-20 minutes.
2: in a bowl mix together the dry ingredients for making the batter.
3: add water and form a smooth batter.
4: dip each florets in the batter.
5: fry the batter coated florets in hot oil. you can either deep fry or shallow fry.
6: while frying the florets start to stick to each other due to the cornflour. so as soon as you add the florets, keep on lightly stirring the frying spoon between the cauliflower florets… so that they don’t stick to each other.
7: remove the golden fried florets with a slotted spoon and drain on tissues. fry the florets in batches if required.
8: remove the extra oil from the same pan. add chopped spring onions and stir fry till the onions become transparent.
9: add chopped ginger, garlic, celery and green chilies. stir fry on a medium flame for a minute.
10: add veg stock or water.
11: add soy sauce, along with salt & pepper and stir.
12: let the sauce simmer and then add corn flour/corn starch paste. stir and simmer for few minutes till the sauce thickens and the flour gets cooked.
13: add the fried cauliflower florets and simmer for a minute.
14: serve gobi manchurian hot garnished with spring onion greens.
gobi manchurian recipe below:
- 1 small bunch finely chopped spring onion (scallions), approx ⅓ to ½ cup finely chopped spring onions.
- 2 tsp finely chopped ginger/adrak
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic/lahsun
- ½ tbsp chopped celery
- ¼ or ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 1- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- ½ or 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 2- 3 tbsp oil
- 1½ cups water
- salt as required
- 1 medium gobi/cauliflower)
- 1 cup maida or all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cornflour (corn starch)
- 1 tsp minced ginger-garlic or ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- ¾ cup water or veg stock
- oil for deep or shallow frying
- salt as required
- Firstly clean and break the gobi in to medium sized or big florets. Boil water with salt and keep the florets in the salted water for 15-20 minutes. You can also boil the gobi for 3-4 minutes in plenty of salted water.
- Drain and dry on a clean cloth.
- Mix all the ingredients listed for batter except for cauliflower.
- Dip the florets in the batter one by one and deep fry in hot oil. Keep aside.
- Remove the extra oil.
- In the remaining oil, add chopped spring onions and stir fry till the onions turn transparent.
- Add the remaining ginger, garlic, celery and green chillies and fry for a minute.
- Now add the soy sauce, black pepper and salt. Add 1½ cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add 1 tablespoon cornflour to ¼ cup water and dissolve well. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Gradually add the corn flour paste to the gravy and stir continuously. Keep on stirring the gravy while adding the cornflour paste.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes till the sauce becomes thick and the corn flour gets cooked.
- Add the fried florets and stir. Simmer for a minute.
- Garnish Gobi Manchurian with the spring onion greens & Serve the Gobi Manchurian hot with noodles or rice.
2. This recipe is for gravied gobi manchurian. You can make dry gobi manchurian by not adding water. Instead of water you add the fried florets, soya sauce, black pepper and salt. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon cornflour on the florets and stir fry for 2 minutes. Serve gobi manchurian hot with chilli-garlic sauce or tomato sauce.
3. The dry gobi manchurian can be served as a starter or a side vegetable.
4. Fry the gobi florets in oil which is neither too hot nor warm.
5. You can substitute dry red chillies instead of green chillies. Just crush them and use.
6. You could also use fine strips of capsicum in the recipe.
7. Ajinomoto can be completely avoided in the recipe or used sparingly.
8. If you like the taste of red chilli sauce or tomato sauce, you could use these sauces too.