This veg noodles recipe, made with all of your favorite fresh vegetables, is perfect for a quick a weeknight meal! Ready in just 30 minutes, this Chinese-style stir fried veggie noodles is kid-friendly and fully customizable.
Table of Contents
About Veg Noodles Recipe
This easy stir fried veggie noodles recipe has just the right level of spice. Not too much heat, not very pungent, but still filled with so much flavor, this kid-friendly noodles recipe is the perfect family meal.
Filled with carrots, cabbage, french beans, bell pepper (capsicum) and spring onions, this stir fry recipe is packed with healthy veggies.
You can even add a variety of fresh mushrooms to add a nice umami flavor. And if you love spicy noodles, you can perk this recipe up with some chili sauce, too.
How to Make This Veg Noodles Recipe
Prepare and Cook Noodles
1. First rinse and shred or chop all the veggies, then set aside. You will need 1 cup shredded cabbage, ½ shredded carrots, 8 to 10 french beans (thinly sliced or finely chopped), ⅓ sliced capsicum and ⅓ cup chopped spring onion whites.
Increase the quantity of veggies according to your preferences. Add some cremini or button mushrooms if you like.
2. Next heat 5 to 6 cups of water in a pan.
3. Then when the water comes to a boil, add ½ teaspoon salt.
4. Next add ½ teaspoon oil and mix well. Add any neutral oil.
5. Then add the noodles (about 200 grams). I have used whole wheat noodles. The recipe is customizable with any noodles – instant, ramen, soba, chow mein, udon, rice.
Cook the noodles you will be using according to the package instructions as every variety of noodle will have a different cooking time.
For any variety of noodle, you need to cook them until al dente.
6. Now boil until the noodles are cooked al dente.
7. Be sure to check the doneness throughout the noodles recipe by pressing a few noodles or tasting them. They should be softened, but still have a slight bite to them.
8. Then drain the cooked noodles in a colander or sieve.
9. Next rinse the noodles with fresh water.
10. After that, set aside. You can even toss the noodles recipe with 2 to 3 teaspoons oil if desired.
Make Veg Noodles
11. Now heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil in a wok or pan. Keep the heat to low or medium-low. Add 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic and 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger.
Swap toasted sesame oil with any neutral oil or olive oil.
12. Next stir-fry or sauté for some seconds.
13. Then increase the flame to high and add ⅓ cup chopped spring onions (scallions).
14. After that, keep on stirring continuously and stir fry the onions until they become translucent.
15. Then add thinly sliced french beans (about 8 to 10 beans which have been thinly sliced).
16. Next continue to stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium to high heat.
17. Then add the veggies: ½ cup shredded carrots, ⅓ cup thinly sliced capsicum and 1 cup shredded cabbage.
18. Now continue to toss and stir fry on a medium to high heat until the veggies are almost cooked. If possible it is best to use a pan with handles as it is better to lift it while tossing.
You can also decrease the flame if the heat becomes too much to handle and then stir fry the veggies on a medium heat.
19. Some crunch should be there in the vegetables, so don’t cook the vegetables until they become completely soft.
20. Then add 1 to 2 teaspoons of finely chopped celery. You can skip celery if you do not have it.
21. Next add 1 to 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Mix well.
NOTE: Try to use naturally brewed soy sauce.
22. Then add salt and crushed pepper as required.
23. Stir and mix very well.
24. Now add the cooked noodles.
Finish Noodles Recipe
25. Keep on tossing and stirring till the veggies are mixed well for minute or two. Switch off the heat. Check the taste and add more salt, black pepper or soy sauce if required to the veggie noodles.
26. Then add 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or regular white vinegar. You can even skip vinegar or add mirin or rice wine.
27. Lastly add 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped spring onion greens. Mix well.
28. Finally, serve this veg noodles recipe steaming hot as it is or with some black bean sauce or tomato sauce.
Storage and Leftovers
If there are any leftovers, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days and enjoy as a quick lunch.
What to Serve Veg Noodles With
Most of the time we enjoy veggie noodles as it is, but sometimes I also like to serve them with some spicy, saucy Chinese style dishes.
Expert Tips for Best Noodles Recipe
- Stir-frying: Typically, while making any stir-fried dish, the heat has to be high and the ingredients have to be tossed then stirred continuously. While making such recipes at home, it is better to use a cast iron or carbon steel wok or a pan with handles so it is easy to lift and hold the pan with the handles, while tossing as well as when stirring.
- Smoky flavor: If possible use toasted sesame oil. It gives a good smoky flavor to the veggie noodles.
- Noodles: Use any good quality noodles. You can use whole wheat noodles or plain flour noodles. This veg noodle recipe can also be made with hakka noodles, chowmein noodles, udon noodles or instant noodles.
- Gluten-free variation: You can use rice noodles or buckwheat flour noodles (soba noodles).
- Non-sticky noodles: Another very important point when making any noodle dish is that they have to be cooked perfectly and should be non-sticky. When the noodles are al dente or just about cooked, strain them in a colander. Then rinse them with fresh water. Drain off the extra water and toss them with 2 to 3 teaspoons of oil.
This veggie noodles recipe does not contain MSG (mono sodium glutamate) or ajinomoto. I have also made the noodles recipe with whole wheat noodles for a healthier option.
For a healthier version, I suggest to use whole wheat noodles or buckwheat noodles (soba noodles). The recipe can be made with regular noodles or even ramen or chow mein, rice or instant noodles.
You can even use sunflower oil or any neutral flavored oil instead of toasted sesame oil.
Indo Chinese Recipes
Indo Chinese Recipes
Indo Chinese Recipes
Gluten Free Recipes
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Noodles Recipe | Veg Noodles
For cooking noodles
- 200 grams noodles – whole wheat or plain flour
- 5 cups water
- ½ teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots or 1 medium to large carrot
- ⅓ cup chopped spring onions (scallions) or 2 to 3 small to medium-sized spring onions
- 8 to 10 french beans – thinly sliced diagonally or finely chopped
- ⅓ cup sliced capsicum (green bell pepper) or 1 small to medium-sized
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic or 3 to 4 small to medium-sized
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger or 1 inch ginger
- 1 to 2 tablespoon soy sauce or as required
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely chopped celery or 1 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves – optional
- 2 to 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil – can use sunflower oil or any neutral oil
- salt as required
- crushed black pepper as required
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or mirin or white vinegar
- First boil water in a pan with salt and oil.
- Add noodles to the boiling water and cook them till they are just cooked or al dente.
- While noodles are cooking, rinse and chop the vegetables.
- Once noodles are cooked al dente, drain them in a colander or sieve.
- Then rinse noodles in fresh water by placing the colander or sieve under fresh tap water.
- Drain all the water and set aside.
Making veg noodles
- Heat oil in a wok or pan.
- First add the garlic and ginger and stir fry or sauté on low to medium-low heat for some seconds.
- Increase the heat to a high and add the chopped spring onions.
- Keep on stirring continuously and stir fry the onions till they become translucent.
- Add the veggies – carrots, capsicum and french beans.
- Continue to toss and stir fry on a high flame till the veggies are almost cooked.
- Use a pan with handles as its better to lift it while tossing.
- You can also decrease the flame if the heat becomes too much too handle and then stir fry the veggies on a medium flame.
- Some crunch should be there in the vegetables, so don’t cook the vegetables till they become completely soft.
- Add the soy sauce, celery, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add cooked noodles. Keep on tossing and stirring till the veggies are mixed well with noodles for a minute or two. Switch off the heat.
- Check the taste and add more salt, black pepper or soy sauce if required to the stir-fried veg noodles.
- Serve the veg noodles hot or warm as it is or with some black bean sauce or tomato sauce.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This veg noodles recipe post from the blog archives (November 2013) has been republished and updated on 30 March 2021.