Noodles recipe with video and step by step photos. This is an easy and tasty recipe of veg noodles from Indo Chinese cuisine. This recipe post shows a detailed method with step by step pics & video to cook perfect non-sticky noodles and then make veg noodles. A vegan dish.
Some noodle recipes are made with the stir-frying method. this vegetable noodles is also a stir-fried noodle recipe.
This version of veg noodles recipe is neither spicy nor hot but tastes very good. I have not added any chilli sauce but you can add if you want some spiciness in the noodles. The veggies can be of your choice. This noodle recipe also does not contain msg (mono sodium glutamate) or ajinomoto.
Tips for making noodles recipe
- Typically, While making any stir-fried dish, the heat has to be high and the ingredients have to be tossed and stirred continuously. While making such recipes at home, its better to use a wok or a pan with handles. So that its easy to lift & hold the pan with the handles, while tossing as well as when stirring.
- If possible use toasted sesame oil. It gives a good smoky flavor to the veg noodles recipe.
- Use any good quality noodles. You can use whole wheat noodles or plain flour noodles. Noodle recipe can also be made with hakka noodles. For a gluten free noodle recipe, you can use rice noodles or buckwheat flour noodles (soba noodles).
Another very important point when making any noodles recipe is that they have to be cooked perfectly and should be non sticky.
Method to cook non sticky noodles
- First boil enough water with a bit of salt and ½ to 1 teaspoon oil.
- Add the noodles and cook them.
- When the noodles are al dente or just about cooked, strain them in a colander. Then rinse them with fresh water. Drain off the extra water.
- Later, you can even add 1 to 2 teaspoons of oil on the cooked noodles. Mix the oil gently with the noodles and keep aside. Later use the boiled noodles in any stir fried noodle recipe.
Serve the veg noodles steaming hot as it is or with some black bean sauce or tomato sauce. You can also serve them with chilli paneer or mushroom manchurian or sweet and sour vegetables.
Few more tasty noodles recipes !
- Schezwan noodles – Tasty stir-fried noodles made with mix veggies and schezwan sauce.
- Chow mein– Veg chow mein are stir-fried noodles with lots of veggies.
- Hakka noodles – A popular street food recipe of hakka noodles and mix vegetables.
- Chinese bhel – This recipe of Chinese bhel is too delicious and tastes exactly like a chaat snack.
- American chop suey – This is one of the most popular fusion Chinese recipe.
- Chilli garlic noodles – Easy recipe of noodles spiced up with red chili sauce, garlic and dry red chilies.
How to make noodles recipe
A) preparation and cooking noodles
1. Rinse and shred or chop all the veggies. Keep aside. The vegetables to be added are cabbage, carrots, beans, capsicum and spring onions.
2. Then heat 5 to 6 cups water in a pan.
3. When the water comes to a boil, add salt.
4. Next add oil. Mix well.
5. Then add the noodles.
6. Boil till the noodles are cooked well.
7. Check the doneness of noodles by pressing a few noodles or tasting them. They should be softened.
8. Once the noodles are cooked well, drain them in a colander or sieve.
9. then rinse the noodles in fresh water.
10. Drain & keep aside.
Making veg noodles
11. Heat toasted sesame oil in a wok or pan. first add the garlic and ginger. You can even use sunflower oil or any neutral flavoured oil instead of toasted sesame oil.
12. Stir fry on medium flame for some seconds.
13. Then increase the flame to high & add the chopped spring onions.
14. Keep on stirring continuously and stir fry the onions till they become translucent.
15. Then add thinly sliced french beans.
16. Stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium to high flame.
17. Then add the veggies – carrots, capsicum and cabbage.
18. Continue to toss and stir fry on a medium to high flame till the veggies are almost cooked. Its best to use a pan with handles as its better to lift it while tossing. you can also decrease the flame if the heat becomes too much too handle and then stir fry the veggies on a medium flame.
19. Some crunch should be there in the vegetables, so don’t cook the vegetables till they become completely soft.
20. Then add celery. You can skip celery if you do not have it.
21. Next add soy sauce. Mix well.
22. Then next add salt and pepper.
23. Stir and mix very well.
24. Now add the cooked noodles.
25. Keep on tossing and stirring till the veggies are mixed well with the noodles for minute or two. Switch off the flame. check the taste and add more salt, black pepper or soy sauce if required.
26. Then add rice vinegar or regular white vinegar. You can even skip vinegar if you want.
27. Lastly add some chopped spring onion greens. Mix well.
28. Serve the veg noodles steaming hot as it is or with some black bean sauce or tomato sauce. You can also serve the noodles with veg manchurian or gobi manchurian or chilli paneer or paneer manchurian or veg balls in hot garlic sauce.
for cooking noodles
- 150 to 200 grams noodles, whole wheat or plain flour
- 1.5 litres water, 5 to 6 cups water
- ½ teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- some water for rinsing noodles
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 medium to large carrot - julienned or shredded or ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 to 3 medium spring onions - finely chopped or ⅓ cup chopped spring onions
- 8 to 10 french beans - thinly sliced diagonally or finely chopped
- 1 small to medium capsicum - julienned or finely chopped (green bell pepper) or ⅓ cup sliced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic - finely chopped or 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 inch ginger - finely chopped or 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 to 2 tablespoon soy sauce or as required
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely chopped celery or 1 teaspoon chopped coriander (both of them have different flavors. celery will give a more chinese flavor and coriander will give an indianised taste)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil - can also use sunflower oil or any neutral flavored oil
- salt as required
- freshly powdered black pepper as required
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or mirin or white vinegar
- First heat enough water in a pan with salt and few drops of oil.
- When the water comes to a boil, add the noodles.
- Stir and allow to cook the noodles till they are just cooked or al dente.
- Whilst the noodles are cooking, prepare the veggies.
- Once the noodles are cooked well, drain them in a colander or sieve.
- Then rinse the noodles in fresh water by placing the colander or sieve under fresh tap water.
- Drain & keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or pan.
- First add the garlic and ginger and stir fry on medium flame for some seconds.
- Increase the flame to high & add the chopped spring onions.
- Keep on stirring continuously and stir fry the onions till they become translucent.
- Add the veggies - carrots, capsicum and french beans.
- Continue to toss & stir fry on a high flame till the veggies are almost cooked.
- Use a pan with handles as its better to lift it while tossing.
- You can also decrease the flame if the heat becomes too much too handle and then stir fry the veggies on a medium flame.
- Some crunch should be there in the vegetables, so don't cook the vegetables till they become completely soft.
- Add the soy sauce, celery, salt and pepper. Stir and then add the noodles.
- Keep on tossing and stirring till the veggies are mixed well with the noodles for minute or two. Switch off the fire.
- Check the taste and add more salt, black pepper or soy sauce if required.
- Serve the veg noodles steaming hot as it is or with some black bean sauce or tomato sauce.
- You can also serve them with veg manchurian or veg balls in hot garlic sauce.