Red chili garlic chutney recipe with stepwise photos – this is a spicy red chutney for chaat recipes and is Made with just three ingredients – dry red chilies, garlic and salt. Sometimes I make this chutney when I make chaat snacks at home.
This red chilli garlic chutney Is versatile as it can be added to spice up a lot of chaat snacks like – sev puri, bhel puri, ragda patties, dahi puri, dahi papdi chaat, dahi vada. You can also use a bit of this chutney in wraps or as a side chutney with pakoras or veg momos.
There are three chutneys that are added to all the chaat snacks mentioned above –
- Green chutney made with mint & coriander leaves,
- Tamarind chutney or imli ki meethi chutney
- This red chili garlic chutney.
When I plan to make chaat, then I make these three chutneys a day before and refrigerate them.
- Green chutney stays good for 2 to 3 days.
- Tamarind dates chutney or saunth chutney for about 3 weeks to a month.
- Red chutney for a week
I always prepare this red chutney with Kashmiri red chilies as they give a good deep red color and are not very heaty. If you do not get Kashmiri red chilies, then use a variety of dry red chilies which are less hot. If not using the lesser hot chilies, then depending upon the heat in the chilies, reduce the amount. To make the chutney less hot, you can also deseed them.
If you are looking for more Chutney recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
red chutney for chaat recipes
- 12 to 14 dry kashmiri red chilies
- ¾ to 1 cup water for soaking red chilies
- 9 to 10 medium garlic (lahsun)
- ¼ to 1/3 cup water or as required for grinding
- salt as required
- Break the red chilies. Deseed them if required.
- Soak the red chilies in hot water for about 30 mins. The water just needs to cover them.
- Peel and roughly chop the garlic.
- Drain the red chilies.
- Adding very little water grind both the red chilies and garlic in a chutney grinder or blender till smooth. The consistency of the chutney should be more towards thicker side or of medium consistency.
- Pour the red chutney in a small jar or bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- When preparing chaat snacks, just add a small amount of red chili chutney while topping the chaat with other chutneys.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Stepwise red chilli garlic chutney recipe:
1. Break the chilies. Deseed them if required. Then soak 12 to 14 Kashmiri red chilies in hot water for about 30 mins. The water just needs to cover them. Cover and keep aside.
2. Drain the red chilies and add them in a grinder jar or blender. Also add 9 to 10 medium sized garlic (roughly chopped) and salt as per taste.
3. Adding ¼ to ⅓ cup water, grind everything till smooth. The consistency of the chutney should be more towards thicker side or of medium consistency.
4. Pour the red chutney in a small jar or bowl. Cover and refrigerate. When preparing chaat snacks, just add a small amount red chilli chutney while topping the chaat with other chutneys.