idli chaat is a simple chaat recipe made using idlis. in india, we believe food is good and we don’t like to waste food or even one grain of rice. although lot of food gets wasted but there are good number of indians who don’t like to waste food.
many indian recipes have been developed which is made using left over food. e.g. masala rice or fried rice with leftover rice. stuffed veg rolls with leftover chapatis. we even make pakoras/fritters with left over phulkas.
mumbai pav bhaji dosa makes use of leftover idli-dosa batter or left over pav bhaji. even with leftover idli batter, you can make both kuzhi paniyaram or sweet paniyaram.
in punjab, they make chana dal paratha from left over chana dal of last night. from leftover rice you can make masala rice or fried rice. from leftover punjabi chole, i make chole sandwich or make aloo tikki chole chaat.
similarly, if you have made idlis at home and there are some idlis left, then you can try this recipe or try making masala idli or idli upma or idli manchurian or podi idli or idli fry recipe. if you love idlis and chaat then this recipe is for you. its a very simple recipe in which pan fried idlis are served with coriander chutney and sweet chutney like tamarind chutney and topped with onions and sev.
if you like dahi (curd) in your chaat then as a variation you can add curd on top of the idlis and then add chutney with chopped onions and sev. curd will make the chaat more soft. i personally like the crisp taste of fried idlis, so i have not used curd. in north india, the curd is usually preferred in the chaat items. you can add your own choice of toppings too.
i have pan fried the idlis with very less oil. if you want you can shallow fry them. if you shallow fry, then remember to drain the fried idlis on paper napkins.
this idli chaat recipe makes for a good brunch or snack.
idli chaat recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR idli chaat recipe
- 9 to 10 idlis
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 or 2 tablespoon curd (dahi or yogurt) - dairy or vegan or add as required (optional)
- 1 or 2 tablespoon mint-coriander chutney or as required
- 1 or 2 tablespoon sweet chaat chutney or as required
- 1 tablespoon boondi (fried gram flour balls) - optional
- a generous pinch of red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- chaat masala as required
- roasted cumin powder as required
- fine sev for garnishing (fried gram flour vermicelli)
- black salt or rock salt as required
- 2 to 3 teaspoon oil for frying the idlis
- a few chopped coriander leaves for garnish
HOW TO MAKE idli chaat recipe
- cut the idli into bite sized pieces.
- heat oil in a frying pan.
- pan fry the idli on medium heat, till they are golden brown & crisp.
- if you have used too much oil for frying then drain the idlis on paper napkins.
- place the fried idlis on a plate.
- add finely chopped onions on top and if you want then you can also add very finely chopped tomatoes too.
- if you want to use curd then spread a layer of curd on top of idli.
- sprinkle some sev, salt, roasted cumin powder and chaat masala on top.
- garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- serve the idli chaat immediately.