Aloo chana chaat recipe with step by step photos – spicy, tangy, sweet chaat made with boiled potatoes and white chickpeas. Gluten-free and vegan.
Chaat time on the blog. Sharing an easy chaat snack. One which can be had as a starter, brunch or as an evening snack.
If you have some boiled chickpeas left, then its pretty simple to assemble this chaat. Generally when I make chana masala, then I always boil extra chickpeas and keep in the fridge. These come handy to make quick recipes like falafel, hummus, chana pulao and this chaat. You could also use canned chickpeas.
Usually when I make chaat, I prepare the chaat chutneys a day before and refrigerate. The red chili chutney and tamarind chutney keeps well for some weeks. Whereas the green chutney keeps well for a day or two.
The aloo chana chaat recipe can also be made into a salad. just add some grated carrots, blanched french beans, beetroots, zucchini to the chaat. Skip the papdi and sev, if serving as a salad.
In this aloo chana chaat, I have added 3 chutneys:
If you do not have the time to make these chaat chutneys, then just add the spice powders and still enjoy the chaat. Do drizzle some lemon juice while serving.
This aloo chana chaat can be served at room temperature or chilled. If serving chilled, then add the crushed papdis, sev and coriander leaves while serving.
How to make aloo chana chaat
1. Take 1.5 to 2 cups cooked chickpeas or chana in a mixing bowl. To cook the dried chickpeas, soak ½ cup dried chickpeas overnight in enough water. Drain very well. Then pressure cook the chana in 1.5 cups water + ¼ tsp salt till they are completely cooked. when the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid and strain the chana. Let them become warm or come to room temperature.
2. To the cooked chana, add chopped boiled potatoes. 2 medium potatoes which have been boiled, peeled and chopped.
4. Add green chutney, tamarind chutney and red chili chutney. Add the chutneys as per your taste preferences. Do note that if not using red chili chutney, then add red chili powder.
5. Add ¼ cup finely chopped onions and ¼ cup finely chopped tomatoes.
6. Mix everything very well.
7. Take a portion of the chaat on a serving plate.
8. Sprinkle a pinch or two of chaat masala, roasted cumin powder and black salt/regular salt as required.
9. Sprinkle some crushed papdi on top. You can also add some roasted peanuts at this step.
10. Sprinkle some sev (fried gram flour vermicelli) on top. You could also add aloo bhujia sev instead of fine sev.
11. Lastly add a touch of chopped coriander leaves. Drizzle some lemon juice if you prefer.
12. Serve aloo chana chaat immediately.
More Chaat recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
Aloo Chana Chaat
- ½ cup dried chickpeas or 1.5 to 2 cups cooked chickpeas (chana or chole)
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoon coriander leaves - chopped
- a few crushed papdis
- sev as required
- green chutney as required
- sweet chutney as required
- red chili chutney as required
- chaat masala as required
- roasted cumin powder as required
- some chopped coriander leaves
- salt as required
- lemon juice as per taste (optional)
pressure cooking chickpeas
- Take 1.5 to 2 cups cooked chickpeas or chana in a mixing bowl. To cook the dried chickpeas, soak 1/2 cup dried chickpeas overnight in enough water. Drain very well.
- Then pressure cook the chana in 2 cups water + 1/4 tsp salt till they are completely cooked.
- When the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid and strain the chana. Let them become warm or come to room temperature.
making aloo chana chaat
- To the cooked chana, add chopped boiled potatoes. 2 medium potatoes which have been boiled and peeled. mix.
- Add green chutney, tamarind chutney and red chili chutney. Add the chutneys as per your taste preferences.
- Add 1/4 cup finely chopped onions and 1/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes.
- Mix everything very well.
- Take a portion of the chaat on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle a pinch or two of chaat masala, roasted cumin powder and black salt/regular salt as required.
- Sprinkle some crushed papdi on top.
- Sprinkle some sev on top.
- Lastly add a touch of chopped coriander leaves. Drizzle some lemon juice if you prefer.
- Serve aloo chana chaat immediately.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later