Masala rice recipe With step by step photos. Masala rice or spiced rice is one dish which I make when I have some leftover rice. I don’t waste food and I use left over food in many ways. This masala rice recipe is one such way. There are many easy Indian recipes where we can use leftover rice. Few such Leftover rice recipes are:
This masala rice recipe is quick & easy, especially when you have leftover rice. It makes for a filling brunch or lunch or dinner had plain or accompanied with a bowl of yogurt or raita.
You just need to saute the onions, tomatoes with the herbs and spices. Then add the rice to this mixture. The result is delicious spiced rice which you can have with a raita and mango pickle or a side salad. Boondi raita or cucumber raita goes very well with this spicy rice.
You can even make this masala rice with freshly cooked rice. Just let the rice cool down completely before you add it to the masala or spice mixture.
How to make masala rice
1. Chop the green chili, tomato and onion. Measure the spices and keep the rest of the ingredients ready.
2. Heat 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of oil in pan. Add ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds.
3. Fry the mustard seeds till they splutter.
4. Add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
5. Fry cumin till they get browned.
6. Now add 1 medium-sized chopped onion.
7. Saute till the onions get softened and become transparent.
8. Add 1 sprig of curry leaves and 1 chopped green chili.
9. Saute for 30 seconds.
10. Add 1 medium-sized chopped tomato.
11. Stir and mix well. Saute till the tomatoes become mushy.
12. Now add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder and ½ teaspoon fennel powder.
13. Stir well.
14. Add 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing) and salt as required.
15. Saute the masala or spice mixture for a minute.
Making masala rice
16. Add 2 cups of steamed rice or leftover rice.
17. Stir well so that the masala coats the rice.
18. Saute for 2-3 minutes more continuously stirring the rice.
19. Lastly, add coriander leaves.
20. Mix with the whole rice or you can garnish the masala rice with the coriander leaves.
Serve the Masala rice hot with raita or with a salad, pickle and papad.
More Rice recipes
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 2 cups leftover rice or steamed rice
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 green chili (or red chili), chopped
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato, finely chopped
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon fennel powder
- 1 or 1.5 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
- Heat oil. Fry the mustard seeds till they splutter.
- Add the cumin and fry till they get browned.
- Now add the onion and saute till the onions get softened and become transparent.
- Add the curry leaves, green chili and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes become mushy.
- Now add all the spice powders and asafoetida along with salt. Saute the masala or spice mixture for a minute.
- Add the rice and stir well so that the masala coats the rice.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes more continuously stirring the masala rice.
- Lastly, add coriander leaves and mix with the masala rice or you can garnish the masala rice with the coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with raita or with a veg salad, pickle and papad.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.