There are a variety of ways that you can use sprouts in your food. From consuming them raw or cooked in salads to making curries and snacks like this scrumptious chaat that I have shared on this post. This is the Sprouts Chaat made with sprouted moong beans, onion, potato, tomato, chutneys, spices and herbs. The recipe is quick, easy and super delightful. Since all the ingredients in this chaat are plant-based, this chaat recipe is also a vegan friendly one.
While with the regular classic chaats, it is a little difficult to maintain the health quotient in the recipes but this Sprouts Chaat takes care of that factor. Since moong sprouts is the main ingredient in this particular chaat recipe, it is somewhat a hearty one.
Combining moong sprouts with Indian spices, herbs and Chutneys makes for an excellent chaat snack. The recipe is simple and even without the addition of chutneys taste good. I make this chaat often and sometimes I don’t even add the chutneys.
A sprinkling of chaat masala, red chili powder and lime juice is enough to make a tasty chaat. Top with some sev or papdis if you want.
In this chaat, I have also added boiled potatoes, tomatoes and onions. You could also add some grated carrots, cucumber or beets.
In the recipe, I have used homemade moong sprouts. Its always better to sprout the moong beans at home. You can check this detailed post on How to sprout moong beans at home.
You will need to boil or steam the moong sprouts till they are completely cooked. Then just mix them with the rest of the ingredients and the chaat is ready.
To make chutney for the chaat, check these links – Tamarind chutney and Green chutney for chaat recipes.
Serve this moong chaat as a side brunch or a starter snack.
How to make Sprouts Chaat
Preparing the moong sprouts
1. First you need to Sprout the moong beans. Once the moong sprouts are ready, then rinse them in water.
2. Then either steam them or boil them till the sprouts are completely cooked. You can even keep them half cooked if you want a crunchy taste.
3. Then in a colander strain the cooked sprouts very well. Drain all the water.
4. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making moong sprouts chaat.
Making sprouts chaat
5. Take the boiled moong sprouts in a bowl or wide dish (plate).
6. Add 1 medium sized onion (finely chopped) and 1 medium sized tomato (finely chopped).
7. Next add 1 large boiled potato (chopped) and 1 to 2 green chilies (finely chopped). Addition of green chillies is optional.
8. Also add ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder, ½ or 1 teaspoon chaat masala powder and rock salt or black salt as required.
9. Top with some tamarind chutney (imli chutney) and green chutney (optional).
10. Mix very well and add few drops of lemon juice.
11. Garnish with some chopped coriander leaves.
12. Sprinkle some sev and a few crushed papdi on top.
12. Have the chaat immediately otherwise sev and papdi will become soggy and you won’t get the crunchy taste. Serve Moong sprouts chaat immediately.
Few more tasty recipes for you!
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
- 2 cups of sprouted moong beans
- 1 small or medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chillies, finely chopped (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ or 1 teaspoon chaat masala or add as per taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or as required
- 1 large boiled potato
- 1 to 2 tablespoon Tamarind Chutney or add as per taste (optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoon Green Chutney or add as per taste (optional)
- few coriander leaves for garnishing (dhania patta)
- rock salt (edible and food grade) or black salt as required
- 3 to 4 tablespoon sev or add as required
- 4 to 6 papdis or add as required
cooking moong sprouts
- First you need to Sprout the moong beans
- Once the moong sprouts are ready, rinse them in water.
- Then either steam or boil them till the sprouts are completely cooked. You can even keep them half cooked if you want a crunchy taste.
- Then strain the cooked sprouts very well.
making sprouts chaat
- Mix all the ingredients listed above with sprouted beans in a bowl except lemon juice, sev and papdis.
- Then add few drops of lemon juice. Garnish with some chopped coriander leaves
- Sprinkle some sev and a few crushed papdi on top. Serve moong sprouts chaat immediately. Have the chaat immediately otherwise sev and papdi will become soggy and you won’t get the crunchy taste.
- You can add the spices and chutneys as per your taste requirements.
This Sprout Chaat post from the archives, originally published in February 2016 has been updated and republished on January 2023.
Comments are closed.
I’m a north indian whose bad at cooking and lives in a southern state. But, your recipes help me a lot.
I make sure to find vegrecipesofindia.com from list of all food blogs for whatever dish it is.
You’re great at what you do. :*
thanks much tanya. so glad to read your lovely comment. made me feel good. thanks again.
My 6yr old kid made this receipe in school n it was really fabulous, all teachers loved it,very nutritious, healthy,easy to cook without fire. We are a great fan of urs thanks once again dear,love u TC
thats great. nice to hear this. thanks for sharing pritee. hugs.
Hii Dasana Amit,
I simply love all your recipes, specially south Indian. I am following you from last year. Every single recipe turned out simply amazing. Thanks for sharing your recipes. You are very adorable. Keep sharing and making us healthy and happy 🙂
thanks a lot amruta and glad to know. i will be sharing more recipes 🙂