sprouts chaat recipe with step by step photos – quick, easy and tasty chaat made with moong sprouts, herbs and chutneys.
combining moong sprouts with indian spices, herbs and chutneys makes for an excellent chaat snack. the recipe is simple and even without the addition of chutneys taste good. a sprinkling of chaat masala, red chili powder and lime juice is enough to make a tasty chaat. top with some sev or papdis if you want.
in the recipe, i have used homemade moong sprouts. its always better to sprout the moong beans at home. you can check this detailed post on how to sprout moong beans at home.
in the moong sprouts chaat, i have added boiled potatoes, tomatoes and onions. you could also add some grated carrots, cucumber or beets. i make this chaat often and sometimes i don’t even add the chutneys.
you will need to boil or steam the moong sprouts till they are completely cooked. then just mix them with the rest of the ingredients and the chaat is ready. to make chutney for the chaat, check these links – tamarind chutney and green chutney for chaat recipes. another similar recipe, i make is sprouts salad.
serve this moong chaat as a side brunch or a starter snack.
if you are looking for more chaat recipes then do check:
sprouts chaat recipe below:
sprouts chaat recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 cups of sprouted moong beans
- 1 small or medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chillies, finely chopped (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ or 1 teaspoon chaat masala or add as per taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or as required
- 1 large boiled potato
- 1 to 2 tablespoon tamarind chutney or add as per taste (optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoon green chutney or add as per taste (optional)
- few coriander leaves for garnishing (dhania patta)
- rock salt or black salt as required
- 3 to 4 tablespoon sev or add as required
- 4 to 6 papdis or add as required
how to make sprouts chaat recipe
soaking and pressure cooking the moong sprouts:
- first you need to sprout the moong beans
- once the moong sprouts are ready, rinse them in water.
then either steam or boil them till the sprouts are completely cooked. you can even keep them half cooked if you want a crunchy taste.
- then strain the cooked sprouts very well.
for assembling and topping:
- mix all the ingredients listed above with sprouted beans in a bowl except lemon juice, sev and papdis.
then add few drops of lemon juice. garnish with some chopped coriander leaves
- sprinkle some sev and and a few crushed papdis on top. serve moong sprouts chaat immediately. have the chaat immediately otherwise sev and papdi will become soggy and you won't get the crunchy taste.
how to make moong sprouts chaat recipe:
preparing the moong sprouts:
1. first you need to sprout the moong beans. once the moong sprouts are ready, then rinse them in water.
2. then either steam them or boil them till the sprouts are completely cooked. you can even keep them half cooked if you want a crunchy taste.
3. then in a colander strain the cooked sprouts very well. drain all the water.
4. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making moong sprouts chaat.
making sprouts chaat:
5. take the boiled moong sprouts in a bowl or wide dish (plate).
6. add 1 medium sized onion (finely chopped) and 1 medium sized tomato (finely chopped).
7. next add 1 large boiled potato (chopped) and 1 to 2 green chilies (finely chopped). addition of green chillies is optional.
8. also add ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder), ½ or 1 teaspoon chaat masala powder and rock salt or black salt as required.
9. top with some tamarind chutney (imli chutney) and green chutney (optional).
10. mix very well and add few drops of lemon juice.
11. garnish with some chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta).
12. sprinkle some sev and and a few crushed papdis on top.
12. have the chaat immediately otherwise sev and papdi will become soggy and you won’t get the crunchy taste. serve moong sprouts chaat immediately.