Sweet paniyaram recipe With step by step photos – crisp, soft and porous sweet paniyaram made with leftover idli batter. Vegan & gluten free snack. All you need to make these delicious sweet dumplings are idli batter, coconut and powdered jaggery. They are also called as sweet appam.
Paniyarams are a nice snack or a tiffin variety. Usually I make plain or Kuzhi paniyaram and These sweet appam with leftover idli batter.
Get My Secrets to Great Indian Food
Due to the jaggery, these sweet paniyarams have a porous and soft texture and taste very good. These also make a good tiffin box sweet snack.
To make these you need the Paniyaram chatti – Æbleskiver pan. You can also shallow fry these dumplings if you don’t have this special cookware. I have never baked them, so I don’t know how they will turn out if you bake them.
Few more snacks recipes for you!
- 2 cups idli batter
- 6 to 8 tablespoon organic powdered jaggery or as required
- ½ cup grated fresh or frozen coconut or unsweetened desiccated coconut
- a pinch of salt
- 2 to 3 green cardamoms, powdered or ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- sesame or coconut or sunflower oil for frying
- Mix all the ingredients. Heat the paniyaram pan. Add a few drops of oil.
- Now add the spoonful of the batter till 3/4th of the mould.
- Cook the dumplings till they become golden brown from all sides.
- Serve sweet paniyaram hot or warm.
- If not serving immediately, then keep them in a casserole, so that they remain warm and soft.
NUTRITION INFO (approximate values)
How to make sweet paniyaram
1: add all the ingredients in the idli batter.
2: mix well. Use thick idli batter as due to the dissolution of the jaggery, the batter’s consistency becomes liquid. So to avoid the batter becoming too much thin, better to use a thick idli batter.
3: heat the paniyaram chatti and add a few drops of oil in the moulds. Pour the batter from a spoon till 3/4th of the mould. Sprinkle some more oil from above if required.
4: due to jaggery the mixture browns quickly, so keep an eye. Turn the sweet appam with a skewer or spoon so as the other side gets cooked.
5: when they are browned well from all sides, remove and Serve sweet paniyaram hot or warm with milk, tea or coffee. These sweet appam are so delicious that they can be had plain as well.