idli upma recipe with step by step photos – simple, no frills homely upma recipe made with leftover idlis.
with leftover idlis, many recipes can be made. a few i have already shared like:
this recipe is an easy way to use leftover idlis to make a quick breakfast and gets done in 15 minutes. you can use fresh idlis or idlis which have been refrigerated. if using idlis which have been refrigerated, then allow them to come at room temperature before making the upma.
there are many variations you can do in this idli upma recipe like adding some grated veggies, boiled peas and even adding dry fruits like cashews. you can also add roasted peanuts. spice it up more or less and you can make the upma the way you like. idli podi can also be added. for this recipe post, i have not used idli podi, as some readers might not have idli podi. so i have kept the recipe simple for everybody to follow. but if you have idli podi, then you can add it to the upma.
i am sharing a simple version which is not spicy and goes very well with a side coconut chutney or a lemon pickle. for a mumbai style version, sprinkle some sev and drizzle some lemon juice on the upma. if you have made the upma with fresh idlis, then you can pack it in tiffin box too.
serve idli upma with some coconut chutney or lemon pickle.
idli upma recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 5 to 6 idlis, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ teaspoon split husked bengal gram (urad dal)
- 5 to 6 curry leaves, chopped or kept whole (kadi patta)
- ½ teaspoon ginger, finely chopped (adrak)
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- 1 dry red chili, use red chilies which are not hot (sookhi lal mirch)
- 1 pinch asafoetida, optional (hing)
- ¼ cup chopped onion or 1 small onion chopped
- salt as required
- 1 to 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped (dhania patta)
how to make idli upma recipe
- crumble 5 to 6 idlis and keep aside.
- heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. add 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- when they start crackling, add 1/2 teaspoon urad dal & 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- saute till the urad dal turns golden.
- then add 5 to 6 curry leaves (chopped or kept whole), 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger, 1 dry red chili and 1 green chili (chopped). you can also add a pinch of asafoetida at this step.
- stir and then add 1/4 cup chopped onion.
- saute till the onions turn translucent.
- then add the crumbled idli. also add a bit of salt.
- mix very well and saute for a minute or two.
- then switch off the flame. lastly add 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves. at this step, you can also add some grated coconut.
- mix again and serve idli upma with some coconut chutney or lemon pickle.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - idli upma recipe on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make idli upma recipe
1. crumble 5 to 6 idlis and keep aside.
2. heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and let them crackle.
3. when they start crackling, add ½ teaspoon urad dal (split husked bengal gram).
4. then add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
5. saute till the urad dal turns golden.
6. then add 5 to 6 curry leaves (chopped or kept whole), ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger, 1 dry red chili and 1 green chili (chopped). you can also add a pinch of asafoetida at this step.
7. stir and then add ¼ cup chopped onion.
8. saute till the onions turn translucent.
9. then add the crumbled idli. also add a bit of salt.
10. mix very well and saute for a minute or two.
11. then switch off the flame. lastly add 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves. at this step, you can also add some grated coconut.
12. mix again.