Paniyaram recipe with step by step photos. Kuzhi paniyaram Are dumplings made from rice & urad dal batter or idli batter. They are vegan and gluten-free as well.
A special pan is used to make them and it is called as Paniyaram chatti Or appe pan. this special cookware has moulds in it and is similar to the æbleskiver pan used in european cooking. in the Indian market one gets both non-stick as well metal appe pans.
Paniyaram is also known as gunta ponganalu, paddu, guliyappa in other South Indian languages. They can be made plain, spiced or sweet. They are crisp from out and soft from within.
These are also a South Indian tiffin or breakfast snack and they are healthy like most South Indian food.
Kuzhi paniyaram is very easy to make if you leftover idli batter at home. I just add the onions, spices etc in the batter and make them with the leftover idli batter. Also there are versions where the spices are tempered and then added to the idli batter.
From the leftover batter I had, I made these Masala paniyaram as well as sweet paniyaram. Given a choice, I liked the Sweet paniyaram more than the masala ones.
My first introduction to paniyarams were when a friend would get these in her tiffin box sprinkled with Idli podi (dry idli chutney powder). One bite and I was hooked.
They were so much like idlis and unlike idlis for me. Soft like idlis from within but crisp from out. Thats what I like about paniyarams.
You will see in the pics below, the Paniyaram chatti i use at home. I have a traditional one and I got it from an antique shop in goa. It is very heavy and the batter does not stick at all in this one. I have made them many times in this traditional Chatti.
How to make paniyaram
1: add the chopped onions, green chilies, grated coconut, spices, herbs everything to the idli batter.
2: mix well.
3: heat the Paniyaram chatti. add a few drops of oil or 1 tsp of oil if you prefer in each mould.
4: pour the spiced idli batter in the moulds up to 3/4 of the mould.
5: allow to cook for a few minutes. Turn carefully with a wooden skewer or spoon and let the other side cook.
6: you can flip them once or twice more so that they get cooked evenly. You can also add some more oil if required. When the paniyarams are golden from all sides, remove in a casserole… So that they stay warm. Cook in batches this way.
7: you can Serve kuzhi paniyaram hot or warm with idli podi or coconut chutney. I served them with coconut chutney.
Few more snacks recipes for you!
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 2 cups idli batter
- 1 medium size onion - finely chopped or minced
- 1 or 2 green chilies - finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger - finely chopped or grated
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper - optional
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoon chopped curry leaves
- ½ cup grated coconut
- salt if required
- In a bowl take the idli batter.
- Add the chopped onions, green chilies, grated coconut, spices, herbs everything to the idli batter. mix well.
- Add salt if the idli batter does not have salt previously added to it. Stir well.
- Heat the paniyaram chatti. Add a few drops of oil.
- Pour spoonful of the batter 3/4 of the paniyaram mould.
- Allow the batter to cook for 2-3 minutes on a low or medium flame.
- Turn each kuzhi paniyaram with the help of a wooden skewer or spoon.
- Now allow the other side to get cooked and crisp.
- Turn once or twice for uniform cooking.
- Remove them and keep in a casserole so that they stay warm.
- These kuzhi paniyaram are also good as tiffin box snack or picnic snack.
- Serve them with coconut chutney or sambar.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.