paniyaram recipe with step by step photos. kuzhi paniyaram are dumplings made from rice & urad dal batter or idli batter. a special pan is used to make paniyaram and its called as paniyaram chatti or appe pan. this special cookware has moulds in it and is similar to the æbleskiver pan used in european cooking. in the indian market one gets both non-stick as well metal appe pans.
paniyaram is also known as gunta ponganalu, paddu, guliyappa in other south indian languages.
paniyarams can be made plain, spiced or sweet. they are crisp from out and soft from within. they are vegan and gluten free as well. i have already posted the recipe of sweet paniyaram andsweet appam with wheat flour.
kuzhi paniyaram is very easy to make, if you leftover idli batter at home. i just add the onions, spices etc in the batter and make the paniyarams with the left over idli batter. also there are versions where the spices are tempered and then added to the idli batter.
from the leftover batter i had, i made these masala paniyaram as well as sweet paniyarams. given a choice, i liked the sweet paniyarams more than the masala ones.
my first introduction to paniyarams were when a friend would get these in her tiffin box sprinkled with idli podi (dry idli chutney powder). one bite and i was hooked.
they were so much like idlis and unlike idlis for me. soft like idlis from within but crisp from out. thats what i like about paniyarams.
you will see in the pics below, the paniyaram chatti i use at home. i have a traditional one and i got it from an antique shop in goa. its very heavy and the batter does not stick at all in this one. i have made paniyarams many times in this traditional chatti.
if you are looking for similar recipes then do check:
paniyaram recipe below:
paniyaram recipe | kuzhi paniyaram recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 cups idli batter
- 1 medium size onion - finely chopped or minced
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch) - finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - finely chopped or grated
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper (kali mirch powder) - optional
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 2 tablespoon chopped curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ½ cup grated coconut
- salt if required
how to make recipe
making paniyaram batter:
in a bowl take the idli batter.
add the chopped onions, green chilies, grated coconut, spices, herbs everything to the idli batter. mix well.
- add salt if the idli batter does not have salt previously added to it. stir well.
- heat the paniyaram chatti. add a few drops of oil.
- pour spoonful of the batter 3/4 of the paniyaram mould.
- allow the batter to cook for 2-3 minutes on a low or medium flame.
turn each kuzhi paniyaram with the help of a wooden skewer or spoon.
- now allow the other side to get cooked and crisp.
- turn once or twice for uniform cooking.
- remove and keep in a casserole so that they stay warm.
these kuzhi paniyaram are also good as tiffin box snack or picnic snack.
serve kuzhi paniyaram with coconut chutney or sambar.
how to make kuzhi paniyaram recipe:
1: add the chopped onions, green chilies, grated coconut, spices, herbs everything to the idli batter.
2: mix well.
3: heat the paniyaram chatti. add a few drops of oil or 1 tsp of oil if you prefer in each mould.
4: pour the spiced idli batter in the moulds upto 3/4 of the mould.
5: allow to cook for a few minutes. turn carefully with a wooden skewer or spoon and let the other side cook.
6: you can flip paniyarams once or twice more so that they get cooked evenly. you can also add some more oil if required. when the paniyarams are golden from all sides, remove in a casserole… so that they stay warm. cook in batches this way.
7: you can serve kuzhi paniyaram hot or warm with idli podi or coconut chutney. i served paniyaram with coconut chutney.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe