Craving for yum, crisp Garlic Bread at home, but don’t have an oven? No worries. This Garlic Bread recipe is made for making this favorite snack on a frying pan or skillet. It is super-duper easy, requires minimum efforts and will give you all the feels of one eating at a popular pizza joint.
Table of Contents
Garlic Bread, A Favorite
Yes, I actually have a fascination for all things garlic, bread, and when put together as a Garlic Bread, it’s just another winner comfort dish for me.
Since the time Garlic Bread was popularized by the various pizza joints across the country, I had been wanting to try it at home too.
So, this Garlic Bread recipe of mine has become my go-to fix at home. Tastes just like the ones available outside.
Also, given my fixation with Garlic Bread Toast, apart from this version that doesn’t even require an oven, I have other recipes which you must give a try, if you can resist one either.
Make this Garlic Bread Toast in a pan/skillet on a stovetop, and then if you have an oven and want to use it, go for these other variations too: Garlic Cheese Bread (this can be done on the stovetop as well), cheesy Garlic Breadsticks or Garlic Rolls.
About Garlic Bread Recipe
I often get requests to post simple, easy and quick recipes, and those with less ingredients too. This Garlic Bread recipe checks all these pointers.
What’s best is that, if you have less time for cooking or live by yourself, this Garlic Bread Toast can be rustled instantly for a quick snack.
It is a no brainer that one of my most favorite bits of this Garlic Bread is the aroma of the garlic itself, which stands out in the recipe.
However, if you are sensitive or have an aversion to the strong garlicky smell, lightly sauté the crushed garlic and then mix in the butter.
Whenever I’m making Garlic Bread Toast at home, I pair it as an accompaniment to a soup or use it as a starter. But these are perfect for your evening tea or coffee sessions too.
For the garlic, the best flavors come from using the smaller sized garlic. They are packed with the pungent garlicky flavors. The larger sized garlic cloves are less pungent than the smaller ones. Having said that use the garlic variety that is easily available to you.
Using a homemade bread is always the best thing to do. But if you have a bakery or store-bought one, make sure to use a fresh, good quality bread. Whole wheat, brown, sandwich, multigrain, white – any/all breads are good for this recipe.
For the bread, fresh bread or a few days old bread also work well. Opt to use bread that you prefer or like. Apart from the regular breads, you can also opt to use soft dinner rolls, ciabatta, french bread or sourdough bread.
How to make Garlic Bread
1. Cut 8 slices having 0.75 inches width from a loaf of bread. If you have bread with pre-cut slices, remove 8 slices.
2. Cut each of the 8 slices into two rectangular halves. You can also cut them into two triangles.
3. In a small mixing bowl, take 2 tablespoons softened butter. You can use either salted or unsalted butter.
Remember to add a few pinches of salt if using unsalted butter. I have used salted butter.
4. Add ½ teaspoon of minced or grated or crushed garlic cloves to the softened butter.
5. Using a spoon or wired whisk, combine the butter and garlic to an even mixture.
Make Garlic Bread
6. Place the bread slices on a plate or your chopping board. Evenly spread the prepared garlic butter on each of the bread.
You can be more generous with the butter if you prefer.
7. Heat a flat skillet or frying pan on a medium heat. When the skillet becomes hot, reduce the heat to a low or medium-low and place the bread slices on it.
8. Cover with a lid.
10. Roast the garlic bread till light golden and a bit toasted at the edges. If you want a more crisp toasted texture, then you can toast the garlic bread slices for some more minutes.
For baking in the oven – preheat oven for 200 degrees C/392 degrees F. Keep on the top rack and bake for 4 to 6 minutes. No need to brown or toast the bread.
11. Serve hot or warm Garlic Bread Toast, sprinkled with your favorite herb or spice on top. Here, I have added red chili flakes and some dried oregano.
- Which Bread? Breads you can use to make this recipe are: brown bread, whole wheat bread, multigrain bread, white bread, french bread, sandwich bread.
- Unsalted Butter: In case you are using unsalted butter, season it with a bit of salt. For a vegan version, use your preferred plant based butter.
- Garlic Chives: Using garlic chives instead of the regular garlic also gives a good flavor to the bread toasts.
- With Cheese: Make a cheesy version by using a single type or a combination of your favorite cheese (grated) on top of the bread slices, then covering and cooking till the cheese melts.
- Spices and Seasonings: Other than red chili flakes and dried oregano, you can also sprinkle other herbs/spices like thyme, basil, black pepper or Italian seasoning.
- Want to make in in the oven? Place the Garlic Bread Toast on the top rack and bake at 200 degrees Celsius/390 degrees F for 4 to 6 minutes or until the bread is lightly toasted. The oven has to be preheated at the same temperature for 10 minutes before you bake.
More Bread Snacks To Try!
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Garlic Bread Recipe
- 8 slices or a loaf of bread cut into 8 slices each of 0.75 inches. use any bread of your choice
- 2 tablespoons Butter – salted or unsalted
- ½ teaspoon garlic – minced or grated or 3 to 4 small to medium-sized garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- salt as required, to be added if using unsalted butter
- red chili flakes as required
- dry oregano as required or add your favorite herbs
- black pepper as required, optional
- Take the bread slices and cut each slice into equal halves or triangles.
- In a small mixing bowl take the softened salted butter and minced garlic. If using unsalted butter add a few pinches of salt to it.
- Thoroughly mix the softened butter and minced garlic to an even mixture.
- Next evenly spread the garlic butter on the bread slices. You can be more generous with the butter if you prefer.
Making garlic bread
- Heat a frying pan, flat skillet griddle on medium heat.
- When the pan or skillet becomes hot, reduce the heat to a low or medium-low. Place the bread slices on the skillet.
- Cover the bread slices with a lid.
- Keeping the slices covered, roast till light golden and a bit toasted at the edges.
- If you want a more crisp toasted texture, then you can toast the bread slices for some more minutes.
- Once the garlic bread has got lightly toasted from the edges, sprinkle your favorite herb or spice from top. I added red chili flakes and some dried oregano.
- If you have a small pan, you can toast the garlic bread batches.
- Serve Garlic Bread toast hot or warm.
- Instead of garlic, you can also use garlic chives.
- Feel free to sprinkle your preferred spices and herbs on the garlic bread.
- Make sure to use fresh butter. You can also use homemade butter.
- For the garlic, smaller sized garlic have more pungent and sharp flavors, then larger sized ones.
- For baking in the oven – preheat oven at 200 degrees C/390 degrees F. Place on the top rack. Bake at the same temperature for 4 to 6 minutes or until the bread is lightly toasted. No need to brown or toast the bread.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Garlic Bread recipe from the archives first published in March 2016 has been republished and updated on January 2023.
Comments are closed.
Easy recipe for beginner like me…plz share pink sauce pasta recipe…
thanks. will try to add and have taken note of your recipe request.
Awesomeness sweet food
This is really an easy and tasty recipe. It takes just few minutes with just 2-3 ingredients. I usually make this during tea time. No need of oven. My husband loves this dish. Please share more such tye of easy recipes
Thanks Payal for sharing your positive feedback. I will try to add some more easy and quick recipes.
Pls tell the healthy soups recipes for pregnant women
Leena, its better to check with the doctor. As every person has different requirements and different physical constitution. Its best to check with your nutritionist or physician.
Such a simple and easy to do thing! Thanks a million, just love your style.
glad to know this saba, thanks for positive feebdack 🙂
You are the best!your recepies are awsome..simple and short!easy to make..I jz luvd ur receipies..thankx 🙂
welcome sonali thank you for kind words and positive views.
thnx fr a delicious and easy recepi. ..everyone at home loved its taste .
welcome ashruti and glad to know 🙂
Very nice n easy recepies
Really thanks very. Nice recepies.
AWESOME MUST TRY
very helpful recipes!!
Thank you so much….I was looking for a garlic bread recipe for so long!!
surely try and let us know how it was zaina 🙂 thankyou so much.
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! 🙂
I am planning to try this at home today. What should I do if I want to prepare it with cheese? Please let me know 🙂
sharvari, you can check this recipe of garlic cheese bread – https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/cheese-garlic-bread-recipe/
use the proportions of the ingredients as mentioned in the above link. then use the method as mentioned in the tawa recipe. on the tawa, when you cover the bread slice with the lid, the cheese will melt. it won’t become brown, but will melt.
Thank you, ma’am 🙂
welcome sharvari 🙂
I like the way the recipe is explained.. the step by step explanation along with pictures is really helpful.
i so want to try this at home.
I have always been a garlic bread lover but felt it was a bakery magic and not a item to be tried at home.. thought it was difficult.. but this recipes seems to be so good.. and I feel like a chef already just by learning the making of it.. not sure how excited would I be after making it at my place…. thank you so much 🙂
pleased to know this and wish you all the best 🙂 surely try and let us know how it was? and you are welcome.
We have to butter the slices on both sides?
yes butter on both the sides. hope this help’s you.
Hello mam, I have brought a new LG microwave convection oven.
Could you please tell me which kind of utensils can I use in tha convection mode of the oven ? I mean the material. I can’t find anything online 🙁
chandni, you will have an instruction book and in that the materials will be mentioned. also a staff from the company comes and demonstrates on how to operate the oven. convection mode is used for baking. so any material which is used for baking in an OTG or a regular oven can be used in the convection mode. for baking aluminium trays or pans can be used. but these aluminium trays and pans should be meant for baking only. they will be available in a shop which sells baking stuff. you can also use borosil glass pans or bowls which are specifically meant for baking. but do remember that metals like aluminium cannot be used when you operate the oven in the microwave mode. metals will cause arcing (sparks).
the ones available in shops locally are reasonable in rates, then the ones available online. local brands will not be expensive, but imported ones from usa or europe are very expensive. also avoid non stick pans or trays and even silicon ones. have mentioned a aluminium muffin mould link below. however do check the size of your oven before you buy any pan or tray.
I am new to cooking and thinking to follow this website to try my hands in cooking, today prepared garlic bread recipe which my husband really liked.
Looking forward to make many more in coming future.
glad meenakshi your husband liked the garlic bread on tawa recipe 🙂 surely would keep posting more such recipes. thankyou for your kind words and you are welcome.
Looks appetizing and the ingredients are readily available in the groceries. I will try this one later. Thanks.
surely try and let us know how it was rodolfo 🙂 and thankyou.
Thanks for posting this quick recipe . It is great.
Looking forward to such recipes and also one of pizza in tawa. Thanks again
welcome always reetika 🙂 thankyou so much also have taken your request for pizza on tawa on our file.
Superb recipe….just tried and my son ate 8slices…..:)
Thanks Sruthy for sharing positive feedback. Glad to know that your son liked the garlic bread.