Since the time Cheese Breadsticks, a.k.a Garlic Breadsticks were popularized by the pizza joints in India, I had been wanting to try and work out a recipe at home. So that I wouldn’t have to wait, either to order in or step out of home to relish one. This recipe for the Cheesy Breadsticks is just that. Get good quality ingredients, refer the recipe and make it at home without any hassle.
Table of Contents
About Garlic Breadsticks
My version of the Cheese Breadsticks or Garlic Breadsticks can also be categorized under the family of garlic breads. Here, I have just brushed the bread dough with some garlic-herb butter, then stuffed it with a trio of cheese, made them into long pieces and baked. So basically, ‘sticks’ of garlic bread filled with cheesy goodness.
Remember: While you’re here, getting ready to make these Cheesy Breadsticks, I’ll bring your notice to 2 more things. First, satisfy the cheese craving in you with more of these delicious Cheese Recipes. Second, do not forget to walk, run that extra mile to burn all the calories consumed!
You might be thinking that it’s a lengthy, cumbersome and tiring process to make Cheese Breadsticks with the same mouthfeel, texture and taste that we are used to, while eating out. But its not quite like this. Making Cheesy Breadsticks is not that difficult provided you follow this recipe to the T.
I understand that you must avoid excess of any bingeworthy ingredient that may add to those inches on your body. Having said that, what’s the fun if you don’t go overboard sometimes. Also, because certain recipes call for it, especially when its ‘cheese.’
So, for this Cheese Breadsticks recipe too, I’ve use 3 types namely cheddar, mozzarella and a vegetarian parmesan. If you want to cut down on the guilt, you can use one or a combination of two maybe. Any pizza cheese from a trusted brand also works well here.
In line with my eating decisions wherever possible, I have also used whole wheat flour for the dough. Needless to say, you can use all-purpose flour or half ‘n half combination of both.
Very important thing is to use the best quality yeast for this recipe. Instant yeast is my preference as using a dry active yeast will have a slightly different procedure of activation and will take more time as well.
How to make Cheese Breadsticks
Make Dough and Prep Cheese
1. In a mixing bowl, take ¼ teaspoon instant yeast and ½ teaspoon sugar.
Note: Instant yeast granules resemble poppy seeds (khus khus). If the yeast granules you have are larger in size, then they are not instant yeast but dry active yeast.
If you are using dry active yeast then check the notes section in the recipe card below.
2. Add ⅓ cup water and mix well.
3. Now, add 1 cup whole wheat flour (or atta) and ¼ teaspoon salt or add as required.
4. Then, add 1 tablespoon oil.
5. Mix and knead to a smooth, supple and soft dough. If required, you can add more 1 to 2 tablespoons water while kneading.
6. Spread some water all over the dough. Cover and keep the dough for 45 minutes to 1 hour for leavening.
If you have used dry active yeast, then keep the dough for 2 to 3 hours for leavening.
7. Before rolling the dough, grate the three cheese and set aside.
You will need ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese, ¼ cup grated mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons grated vegetarian parmesan cheese.
You can add more cheese if you like.
Make Garlic Spread
8. Take 3 tablespoons salted butter in a bowl and melt it on low heat.
9. Now, add ½ teaspoon crushed garlic or minced garlic in the melted butter.
10. Then, add the following listed herbs and spices:
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper powder
You can also add your choice of herbs and also add less or more herbs as per your preferences.
Instead of adding herbs separately, you can add ¾ to 1 teaspoon of mixed herbs or Italian seasoning.
11. Mix very well. Keep aside.
12. Now, place parchment paper on a tray. You can also grease a baking tray with some butter. Keep aside.
Also preheat oven at 200° C/392° F for 15 to 20 minutes.
Make Cheese Breadsticks
13. Take the dough after it gets leavened. Sprinkle some flour over it.
14. With a rolling pin (belan), roll the dough to a rectangular or square shape till you get the edges having about 0.25 cm thickness.
15. Brush the garlic-herb butter on the dough.
16. Now, gently lift the rolled dough and place it on the parchment paper with the garlic-herb butter side touching the parchment paper.
17. Now, again spread the garlic-herb butter on the side which is facing you.
18. Sprinkle grated cheese on one side. First, add the cheddar cheese followed by mozzarella cheese on top.
19. Fold and press the edges.
20. Now, make slits on the top of the dough. Do not slit through completely. Just slit on the top
21. Brush the top with the remaining garlic-herb butter.
22. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese all over the bread.
23. Keep the pan near the bottom heating element and bake the breadsticks in the preheated oven at 200° C/392° F for 25 to 30 minutes or till the top is golden and crusty.
For an OTG, keep the top and bottom heating elements on. Since temperature varies from oven to oven, do keep a check. For convection oven, preheat and bake at 180° C/356° F.
24. Once done, let the breadsticks cool for a few minutes.
If the top is not browned in an OTG, then later use only the top heating element and brown for a few minutes. Be careful and attentive at this step.
25. Serve the Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks with any dipping sauce of your choice.
- If you are using dry active yeast, follow this method: Take ⅓ to ½ teaspoon dry active yeast and sugar in a bowl. Add ⅓ cup warm water, mix and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes or till the solution bubbles up and becomes frothy. Then, add the flour, salt, oil and proceed with the kneading. Remember to leaven the dough for about 2 to 3 hours.
- How to distinguish between instant and dry active yeasts? Instant yeast granules are tiny and look like poppy seeds. If the granules are larger, then it is dry active yeast.
- Not sure of whole wheat flour, use a mix of whole wheat flour + all-purpose flour or just all-purpose flour instead. You can also use bread flour.
- You may add or subtract herbs as per your choice. Be generous with the cheese.
- Play with the cheese varieties by using all three, two or just one. Pizza cheese by a good brand also works for this recipe.
- While baking the breadsticks in an OTG, if the top doesn’t brown evenly, then use only the top heating element and bake for a few minutes or till it is browned. Be careful at this step.
Yes, you can. Use ⅓ to ½ teaspoon of it in place of instant yeast.
You can use any good quality pizza cheese in case you don’t have any of the other 3 types of cheese mentioned in the recipe.
Yes, can use maida or all-purpose flour for this recipe.
Yes, you can add other stuffings mixed with the cheese or just as it is.
North Indian Food
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Garlic Breadsticks Recipe | Cheese Breadsticks
For breadsticks dough
- ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or atta)
- ⅓ cup water + 1 to 2 tablespoons water or add as required
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt or add as required
3 types of cheese
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese – grated or add as required
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese – grated or add as required
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese – grated, vegetarian
For the garlic spread
- 3 tablespoons Butter – salted
- ½ teaspoon garlic – crushed or minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli flakes or add as required
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper powder (ground black pepper) or add as required
Making breadsticks dough
- In a mixing bowl take ¼ teaspoon instant yeast and ½ teaspoon sugar.
- Add ⅓ cup water and mix well.
- Now add 1 cup whole wheat flour (or atta) and ¼ teaspoon salt or add as required.
- Then add 1 tablespoon oil.
- Mix and knead to a smooth and soft dough. If required while kneading you can add 1 to 2 tablespoon more water.
- Spread some water all over the dough. Cover and leaven dough for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Before rolling the dough, grate the three types of cheese and keep aside.
Making garlic spread
- Take 3 tablespoons salted butter in a bowl and melt it on a low heat.
- Now add ½ teaspoon crushed garlic or minced garlic in the melted butter.
- Then add the dried herbs (oregano, thyme, basil), red chilli flakes and black pepper powder. You can also add your choice of herbs.
- Mix very well and set aside.
- Now place parchment paper on a baking tray. You can also grease a baking tray with some butter. Keep aside. Also preheat oven at 200° C/392° F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take the dough after it gets leavened for 45 minutes or 1 hour. Sprinkle some flour over it.
Making cheese garlic breadsticks
- With a rolling pin, roll the dough to a rectangle or square shape, till you get the edges having about 0.25 cm thickness.
- Brush the garlic and herbs butter on the dough.
- Now gently lift the rolled dough and place it on the parchment paper with the garlic and herbs butter side touching the parchment paper.
- Now again spread the garlic and herbs butter on the side which is facing you.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on one side. First add the cheddar cheese followed by mozzarella cheese on top.
- Fold and press the edges.
- Now give slits on the top dough. Do not slit entirely. Just slit the top dough cover.
- Brush the remaining garlic and herbs butter on top.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese all over the bread.
- Keep the pan near the bottom heating element and bake Cheese Garlic Bread in a preheated oven at 200° C/392° F for 25 to 30 minutes or till the top is golden and crusty.
- Once done, let the Garlic Breadsticks cool for a few minutes.
- Then serve these Cheesy Breadsticks with any dipping sauce of your choice.
- For dry active yeast take ⅓ cup warm water and sugar. After mixing allow to stand for 10 to 15 minutes till the yeast solution bubbles up and becomes frothy. Then add the flour, salt, oil and knead well.
- Use about ⅓ to ½ teaspoon of dry active yeast.
- While using dry active yeast, you have to let the dough leaven for 2 to 3 hours.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Garlic Cheese Breadsticks recipe from the archives, originally published in November 2017 has been updated and republished on February 2023.