Mango Raita Recipe: How to make Mango Raita Recipe
This is the first time I made Mango Raita…. adapted from the book Indian Cookery. The Mango Raita was amazing. I do not know how to describe its taste. It was awesome. I made it as an accompaniment with Veg Pulao.
This time, I decided to make Mango Raita instead of the regular onion-tomato or mint raita. This recipe uses ripe sweet mangoes. I have used alphonso mangoes, but one could use any variety of sweet mangoes.
It was so good, that I have decided to make it often till the mango season is on in India.
I have changed the raita recipe, but only in a few aspects. I added sugar to the curd. Its not essential but since I have a sweet tooth, I decided to add some sugar.
The original raita recipe calls for 1 tbsp of mustard seeds and 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds. I used 1 tsp mustard seeds and 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds. Also, I have used whole red chillies. The original recipe asked to deseed the red chillies and chop them finely.
you might also love to check these raita recipes:
- cucumber raita
- pineapple raita
- easy mango raita
- beetroot and carrot raita
Mango Raita Recipe details are below:
- 2 cups (500 ml) curd/yoghurt
- 2 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 2 ripe mangoes diced
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 red chillies
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp ghee or oil
- chopped coriander leaves for garnish (I did not use these)
- Combine the curd with the sugar. Mix it till the sugar dissolves.
- Then combine mangoes with the yogurt in a bowl.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a small frying pan.
- Fry the mustard seeds till they pop.
- Add the red chillies and fenugreek seeds and fry for 30 seconds.
- Pour this spiced tadka on the curd mixture.
- If you do not like the mustard seeds or fenugreek to be seen in the raita, then strain the ghee and discard the seeds. Stir the ghee into the yoghurt mixture. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- For the garnish, you could also use diced mangoes and top it in the center of the mango raita as I have done.
- To get a fuller and creamier taste, it is better to use full cream yoghurt or curd.