Mango raita recipe with step by step photos – This is a sweet and tasty raita made with ripe sweet mangoes.
This mango raita was amazing to taste. I do not know how to describe its taste. It was simply awesome. I made it as an accompaniment with Veg pulao.
I have used alphonso mangoes, but one could use any variety of sweet mangoes. It was so good, that I have decided to make it often till the mango season is on in India.
I have one posted one more easy and quick 5 minutes mango raita in which tempering is not added.
This mango raita is adapted from the book ‘Indian cookery’. I have changed the raita recipe, but only in a few aspects. I added sugar to the curd. Its not essential but since I have a sweet tooth, I decided to add some sugar.
The original raita recipe calls for 1 tbsp of mustard seeds and ½ tsp fenugreek seeds. I used 1 tsp mustard seeds and ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds. Also, I have used whole red chillies. The original recipe asked to deseed the red chillies and chop them finely.
You can serve mango raita as a side dish with roti-sabzi or Dal rice combo.
How to make mango raita
1. Firstly rinse 2 ripe mangoes. Wipe the mangoes with a kitchen napkin or cloth.
2. Peel and dice the mangoes.
3. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making mango raita.
4. In a bowl, take 2 cups curd (yogurt) and 2 tablespoon sugar.
5. Mix with a wired whisk or with a spoon. I used a wired whisk. Mix it till the sugar dissolves.
6. The yogurt should look smooth and creamy.
7. Then add the chopped mangoes.
8. Gently stir the mangoes with the yogurt.
9. Heat 1 tablespoon ghee or oil in a small frying pan. Add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai).
10. Fry the mustard seeds till they crackle.
11. Add 2 dry red chillies and ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana).
12. Fry them till dry red chillies change color.
13. Pour this spiced tadka on the curd mixture.
14. Stir and mix well. if you do not like the mustard seeds or fenugreek to be seen in the raita. Then strain the ghee and discard the seeds. Stir the ghee into the raita mixture.
15. Garnish the mango raita with coriander leaves. For the garnish, you could also use diced mangoes and top it in the center of the mango raita as I have done in the below photo. to get a fuller and creamier taste, it is better to use full cream curd. Serve the Mango raita chilled or at room temperature.
Please be sure to rate this recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
- 2 cups yogurt (curd) or 500 ml curd
- 2 tablespoon sugar - optional
- 2 ripe mangoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 2 dried red chilies
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil
- few chopped coriander leaves for garnish, (optional)
preparation for mango raita:
- In a bowl, take 2 cups yogurt (dahi or curd) and 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Mix with a wired whisk or with a spoon till the sugar dissolves.
- The yogurt should look smooth and creamy.
- Then add the chopped mangoes.
- Gently stir the mangoes in the yogurt.
tempering for mango raita:
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee or oil in a small frying pan. Add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds.
- Fry the mustard seeds till they crackle.
- Add 2 dried red chilies and ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds.
- Fry them till dried red chilies change color
making mango raita:
- Pour this spiced tadka on the yogurt mixture.
- Stir and mix well.
- If you do not like the mustard seeds or fenugreek seeds to be seen in the Mango Raita, then strain the ghee and discard the seeds. Stir the ghee into the raita mixture.
- Garnish the Mango Raita with coriander leaves.
- For the garnish, you can also use diced mangoes and top it in the center of the Mango Raita as I have done.
- Serve the Mango Raita chilled or at room temperature.
- To get a fuller and creamier taste, it is better to use full cream yogurt or curd.