Carrot raita recipe with step by step photos – one more simple raita recipe made with carrots.
Sharing a family recipe of gajar ka raita made in our Punjabi household. Simple and easy to prepare raita with an interesting tempering of asafoetida or hing added at the end. This tempering with ghee perks up the flavor of carrot raita. however, its optional and you can skip it too.
It is good to have raitas, curd and fruit juices during summers as they are cooling as well as nutritious. Carrots are a good source of Vitamin A and thus very good for eyesight. You can make a variety of recipes with them like gajar ka halwa, Carrot ginger soup, Carrot chutney etc.
Like all raita recipes, This gajar raita also goes well with roti-sabzi or dal-rice combination. Without much ado, let’s proceed to the recipe.
How to make carrot raita
1. Rinse, peel and grate 2 small to medium carrots in a plate or bowl.
2. In another bowl, take 1 cup fresh chilled curd/yogurt and whisk it till smooth.
3. Add the grated carrots (reserving a few for garnishing) and chopped green chilies. Green chilies are optional and you can skip them. You can also add ¼ to ½ tsp red chili powder instead of green chilies.
4. Mix everything well.
5. Then add ½ tsp roasted cumin powder, a pinch of garam masala & black salt as required. Add rock salt or regular salt if you do not have black salt. mix again very well.
Tempering for carrot raita
6. In a fireproof spoon or in a small pan, take ½ tsp ghee. We will be tempering the raita. This step is optional and you can skip it.
7. Heat the ghee.
8. Then add a pinch of asafoetida (hing). fry the asafoetida for a few seconds.
9. Then pour the tempering in the raita.
10. Mix well.
11. Garnish with the reserved grated carrots & Serve gajar ka raita immediately or chill it and then serve later with dal fry + rice combo or roti-sabzi combo. You can also garnish the raita with some coriander leaves before serving.
More Raita recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 2 small to medium carrots - peeled and grated
- 1 green chili - finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh curd (yogurt)
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 pinch garam masala powder
- black salt as required
- coriander leaves for garnish (cilantro leaves) - optional
for tempering the raita (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- Rinse, peel and grate 2 small to medium carrots in a plate or bowl.
making carrot raita
- In another bowl, take 1 cup fresh chilled curd/yogurt and whisk it till smooth.
- Add the grated carrots (reserve a few for garnish) and chopped green chilies. Green chilies are optional and you can skip it. You can also add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red chili powder instead of green chilies.
- Mix everything well.
- Then add 1/2 tsp cumin powder, a pinch of garam masala powder & black salt as required. Add rock salt or regular salt if you do not have black salt. Mix again very well.
tempering for carrot raita
- In a fire proof spoon or in a small pan, take 1/2 tsp ghee. We will be tempering the raita. This step is optional and you can skip it.
- Heat the ghee. Then add a pinch of asafoetida. Fry the asafoetida for a few seconds.
- Then pour the tempering in the raita. Mix well.
- Serve the raita immediately or chill it and then serve later. You can also garnish with some coriander leaves before serving.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.