Fruit raita recipe with step by step photos. This mixed fruit raita is a sweet raita variety that tastes good as it as and can be eaten like a dessert.
For making the raita, I have used bananas, pomegranate and apples. No special reason for using them except that they were there in my kitchen and these fruits go along well.
You can use fruits of your choice to make this raita. But just take care that the fruit combination go well together. E.g. I don’t like to have citrus fruits with sweet fruits.
It is a simple and easy raita variety to go with your regular meals or the food you prepare for fasting or vrat.
As I wanted to prepare this raita for Navratri vrat, so I took care to use the spices which are allowed during Navratri fasting. So this raita is spiced up subtly with roasted cumin powder, red chilli powder and rock salt only.
You can refer this Navratri fasting rules post to know more about Navratri vrat rules. If you are making this raita on a regular day then you can add any other spice of your liking too.
I usually like to spice up the raitas by adding chaat masala, chilli powder, jeera powder, amchur (dry mango powder) and so on.
Since the Indian fasting recipes are usually loaded with carbs and fat….. Its a good practice to include some proteins and vitamins-minerals in the fasting food. Plain fruits as well as fruit juices are great to boost the nutrient quotient in a fasting diet.
To make it more filling and nutritious you can also top it with dry fruits like chopped cashews, raisins or sliced almonds while serving.
Raitas are ideal accompaniment for pulao, biryani or dal rice combination. They are quick to prepare and make your meal more rich and colorful.
I suggest to serve this raita as a desserts after you had your meals.
How to make fruit raita
1. Peel, core and chop 1 medium sized apple. Then peel and chop 1 medium sized banana. Slice 1 medium sized pomegranate and remove the arils. Place the chopped fruits aside for making the raita.
2. In a bowl, take 4 tablespoons yogurt (dahi or curd). Best is to use fresh curd and make sure it is not sour tasting.
3. Whisk the yogurt with the help of a wired whisk or spoon.
4. Whisk the yogurt till smooth.
5. Then add ½ to 1 tablespoon sugar or add as required.
6. Mix the sugar well, till it dissolves.
7. Next add 1 pinch of roasted cumin powder, 1 pinch of red chili powder (or cayenne pepper or paprika) and 1 pinch of rock salt (sendha namak).
TIP 1: If you are not making this raita for religious fasting (vrat) then you can use regular salt also instead of rock salt. For fasting food we use rock salt.
TIP 2: The amount of spices can be altered as per your taste preferences.
8. Stir and mix very well.
9. Lastly add the chopped banana, apple and pomegranate arils.
10. Mix well.
12. Serve the Fruit raita immediately. You can garnish the raita with pomegranate arils. It can be had as a dessert after your meals.
If you are looking for more raita recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 4 tablespoon chilled yogurt (dahi or curd) – dairy or vegan
- 1 medium pomegranate – sliced and the arils removed
- 1 medium apple – peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 medium banana – peeled and chopped
- ½ to 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch roasted cumin powder
- 1 pinch rock salt (edible and food grade) (sendha namak) or black salt.
- 1 pinch red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- In a bowl, whisk the yogurt (curd) till smooth. Use the curd that is fresh and it should not be sour tasting.
- Add sugar or as required. Mix the sugar well, till it dissolves.
- Next add roasted cumin powder, 1 pinch of red chili powder and 1 pinch of rock salt. Stir well.
- Lastly add the chopped banana, apple and pomegranate arils. Mix well.
- You can garnish the raita with pomegranate arils.
- Serve the fruit raita immediately.
- If you are making fruit raita for regular days (non-fasting days) then you can use normal or regular salt instead of rock salt. For fasting food we use rock salt.
- The recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- The amount of spices can be altered as per your taste preference.
- Use the combination of fruits that go well together.
- You can also add dry fruits like cashews, almonds and raisins.
- To make the recipe vegan use vegan yogurt.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.