rains have already begun here and it feels strange to post this mango ice cream recipe.
we usually avoid cold foods in the rains. i had made the ice cream when it was really really hot in the month of may. i just was not able to post the recipe.
what offers me consolation is that some parts of india are still reeling under the heat wave. i am also posting this recipe as a dear & frequent reader suhani requested me to post some ice cream recipes. i am late suhani and i hope it has not started raining where you live
this recipe is adapted from the pomegranate gulkand ice cream i had posted some months back. full on with the flavors of mango and vanilla, this is one awesome mango ice cream. this recipe does not require an ice cream maker.
i will be taking a short break for some time as i am travelling to south india. so will not be able to blog frequently the way i was doing passionately before…. in spite of posting 26 recipes in the month of may, i still have quite a lot of pending recipes. so after the break i will resume my joy of blogging and food photography. ciao…….
step by step recipe for making mango ice cream:
1: peel and chop the mangoes
2: add sugar or powdered jaggery along with the mangoes in a blender
3: blend to a smooth pulp
4: take the cream in a bowl or pan and begin to whip it
5: whip till soft peaks are formed.
6: add the mango pulp and mix well.
7: add vanilla powder.
8: mix well and pour the ice cream contents in a freezer proof container or box. cover the container tightly with a lid.
9: keep the mango ice cream in freezer for a few hours till the ice cream is half set. remove and add the ice cream to a blender.
10: whip again for a minute and pour in the same container and freeze till set. remember to cover the container with a lid.
11: once set, then serve the mango ice cream scoops topped with honey, chocolate sauce or you can even serve it with slices of cakes as a dessert.
p.s – i am not a pro in taking photos of ice cream. they had begun melting when i started taking the photos. so till i garner much expertise in clicking ice cream photos, i leave you with the melted ice cream clicks in this post.
mango ice cream recipe details are below:
- 3 cups cream (i used amul 25% low fat cream)
- 2 large alphonso mangoes
- 1.5 tsp vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- sugar, powdered jaggery or honey as required
- honey or any sweet syrup to top over the ice cream
- peel and chop the mangoes.
- blend the mangoes and sugar to a smooth pulp.
- whip the cream till soft peaks are formed.
- add the mango pulp.
- mix well.
- check the sweetness and add more sugar if required.
- add the vanilla powder or vanilla extract.
- mix well.
- pour in a tray or container and place in the freezer. cover the container.
- when the ice cream is half frozen remove from the freezer.
- whip again for a minute.
- pour the ice cream contents again in the container with lid.
- freeze till set.
- scoop the mango ice cream and serve with honey, cakes or just plain.
sweetness can always be adjusted as per your requirements.
for best results and a softer texture, whip the cream really well. you can also whip the cream in a blender or a hand blender.