mango shake recipe with step by step photos. a very popular indian summer drink during the mango season is mango shake. this mango shake recipe makes for a delicious and creamy shake. i make mango shake many times during summers for the family. it quenches the thirst, keeps one full and is nutritious too. mango milkshake also helps in weight gain.
this mango milkshake recipe is made with ripe sweet mangoes and whole milk. the combination of sweet mangoes and milk is one that can be consumed without any side effects as per ayurveda. do note that the mangoes should be sweet and not semi-sweet or sour or tangy.
we love mangoes. if you also love mangoes as much as we do, then check these awesome recipes with mangoes like:
how to make mango shake in different ways
mango shake is simply made by blending chopped ripe & sweet mangoes with milk. in this basic recipe of a mango shake, some additional ingredients can be included. addition of these ingredients makes the mango shake thin or thick or creamy. i have mentioned below these ingredients that will help you in getting the consistency you want – be it thick, rich, thin or creamy.
- cream – when you add some whipping cream to any shake you get a thick & creamy consistency. in this recipe, you can add about ¼ cup heavy cream. whipped cream can also be topped over the milkshake while serving
- whole milk – whole milk or full-fat milk gives a rich tasting shake. that said, even-toned milk or skimmed milk can be added.
- nut milk – sometimes i also make mango shake with almond or coconut milk. i have earlier shared a vegan mango milkshake recipe. you can easily make a vegan mango shake by using cashew milk, almond milk, soy milk or coconut milk.
- ice cream – while blending, adding a vanilla ice cream or mango ice cream will definitely make mango shake thick, creamy and rich. add 1 to 2 scoops of ice cream. only use vanilla or mango ice cream as both these ice creams go well in the mango milkshake.
- ice cubes – to thin the milkshake considerably, add 6 to 7 ice cubes. you can even add less number of ice cubes. i always add 2 to 3 ice cubes while blending so that the milkshake is chilled when i serve it.
tips for mango shake
- mangoes – any ripe and sweet variety of mangoes can be used to make the shake. i always prefer alphonso mangoes to make the milkshake. you may not get alphonso mango where you live – so just use any sweet variety of mango which has a sweet and smooth pulp. avoid using mangoes which are fibrous. also, do not use sour or semi-sweet mangoes as it can cause stomach aches. sour mangoes may also curdle the milk.
- milk – as i have mentioned above, you can use whole milk or toned milk to make the milkshake. for a vegan option, use cashew milk, soy milk, coconut milk or almond milk.
- sweeteners – if you use mangoes which are very sweet, then you need not add any sugar or sweetener in the milkshake. if you do need to add any sweetener, then instead of sugar you can also use jaggery or honey.
- proportion – you can easily alter the proportion of mangoes and milk when making the shake. add more mangoes to get a fruity, pulpy and thick shake with full-on flavors of mangoes. add more milk to get a milky flavor.
- flavorings – there is absolutely no need to add any flavoring ingredient in this mango shake recipe – mango flavor rules here and mango is the star in this shake recipe. though for a change, you can add a bit of ground cardamom powder or cinnamon powder. you can even add a pinch of saffron strands or a dash of ground nutmeg or vanilla.
- canned mango pulp – if fresh mangoes are not available, then the next best option is to make use of canned mango pulp. i freeze mango pulp and use them later to make any recipe including this milkshake. this way we can have mango recipes even when they are not in the season. in this mango shake recipe, you can add 1 to 1.25 cups of mango pulp.
if you are a fan of milkshake then have a look at these milkshake recipes and also check:
INGREDIENTS FOR mango shake
- 2 alphonso mangoes - medium-sized or any sweet variety of mangoes
- 1.5 cups milk OR ¾ cup milk + ¾ cup water - chilled or at room temperature
- 2 to 3 ice cubes - optional
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey or jaggery - optional
HOW TO MAKE mango shake
- rinse and pat dry 2 medium-sized mangoes. peel and chop them. add chopped mangoes in a blender jar.
- add 1.5 cups milk.
- also, add 2 to 3 ice cubes.
- blend till smooth.
- pour mango milkshake in glasses.
- serve mango shake immediately.
- the mango shake recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- flavoring like vanilla or cardamom powder or cinnamon powder can be added.
- you can even add some cream or ice cream while blending.
- use mangoes which are sweet, ripe and with a soft flesh. do not use sour or semi-sweet tasting mangoes.
- you can use nut milks like almond milk, coconut milk or cashew milk.
- toned milk or skimmed milk can also be added.
- canned mango pulp can be added instead of fresh mangoes. use 1 to 1.25 cups of canned mango pulp.
how to make mango shake
1. rinse and pat dry 2 medium-sized mangoes. peel and chop them. discard the stones. add chopped mangoes in a blender jar.
2. add 1.5 cups of whole milk. milk can be chilled or at room temperature. you can add about 1 to 3 tablespoons of sugar at this point. the mangoes i used were very sweet, so i did not add any sugar.
3. add 2 to 3 ice cubes. adding ice cubes is optional.
4. blend till smooth. there should be no chunks of mangoes in the shake. this is a thick milkshake. for a slightly thinner milkshake, you can add more milk. check the taste. if the mango shake is not sweet, then add 1 to 3 tablespoons sugar and blend again so that the sugar dissolves. you can even add 1 to 2 tablespoons honey or jaggery instead of sugar.
5. pour mango shake in glasses and serve immediately. you can top the mango shake with some chopped nuts or whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. for the ice cream either top with vanilla ice cream or mango ice cream.