Egg Bhurji also known as Egg Akuri is an easy, quick and a common Indian Breakfast recipe. It is a spiced up version of scrambled eggs with onions, tomatoes, green chillies and some spice powders. Egg Bhurji and Paneer Bhurji are often served in most restaurants. Another variation of bhurji for vegetarians is Mutter Paneer Bhurji and Mooli ki Bhurji.
Ingredients for 2 servings of Egg Bhurji:
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Milk (optional)
- 1 chilly
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 inch ginger (optional)
- a pinch of turmeric powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp red chilly powder (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp oil, ghee or butter
Method of making Egg Bhurji – Egg Akuri:
1: Finely chop the onion, chilli, tomato, ginger and coriander leaves.
2: Break the Eggs. Beat the eggs and add milk and salt. Beat the mixture well.
3: In a shallow frying pan, heat oil, butter or ghee. Add the onions. When they are partly cooked, add the green chilly, tomatoes, ginger. Add the spice powders if you are using them. Fry till the tomatoes get soft and mushy.
4: Now add the beaten eggs. Stir the mixture. The eggs will start to cook. Keep on stirring. Otherwise the eggs will start sticking to the bottom of the pan. Its preferable to use non-stick pan so that eggs does not stick. Once the eggs are cooked and firm, remove from the pan.
5: Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve the Egg Bhurji hot with buttered toast or fried bread.
Few variations of egg bhurji:
1. One famous variation is to add and mix cooked rice with egg bhurji so that you can have egg fried rice.
2. You can also try egg bhurji with mushrooms. In this variation, mushrooms are cooked with onion and tomatoes first. Once the mushroom has become slightly brown after leaving the water, then the beaten eggs are added to it and cooked. In this method always cook mushroom first and then the beaten eggs.