paneer bhurji gravy recipe with step wise pics – spiced and easy to prepare scrambled paneer in a gravy or curry base.
paneer bhurji is usually a dry or semi dry recipe. this gravy or curry version is slightly different than the way the dry paneer bhurji is made. fairly simple and easy and you don’t need to grind or puree anything. this recipe is my mom’s recipe of making the bhurji with a tari or rassa or gravy. few more bhurji recipes on blog are:
what sets apart this paneer bhurji gravy recipe is the sauteing of whole garam masala first and this is what gives the final dish an aromatic flavor. also fresh curd/yogurt is added in this recipe. i have used butter for sauteing, but you can also use oil. we also add green peas to this recipe at times. wherever possible, i have mentioned substitutes in the notes section of recipe card.
serve this paneer bhurji gravy with rotis or parathas. this spiced curry also goes very well with bread or pav.
if you are looking for more paneer gravy recipes then do check:
paneer bhurji gravy recipe below:
paneer bhurji gravy recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for paneer bhurji gravy:
- 200 to 250 grams paneer (cottage cheese) - crumbled
- 2 medium onion or 1 large onion, finely chopped or ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 medium tomatoes or 1 large tomato, finely chopped or ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste (adrak lahsun ka paste)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 3 tablespoon fresh curd (yogurt or dahi)
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta) - to be added first
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves to be added later
- 2 tablespoon butter or oil
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - julienne for garnish
- salt as required
whole garam masala or spices for paneer bhurji:
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 3 cloves (lavang)
- 2 green cardamoms (hari elaichi)
- 5 to 6 black peppercorns (sabut kali mirch)
- 2 small tej patta or 1 medium to large tej patta (indian bay leaf)
how to make recipe
preparation for paneer bhurji gravy:
- crumble 200 to 250 grams paneer and keep aside.
chop the onions, tomatoes and green chillies. keep aside.
crush the ginger garlic in a mortar pestle and keep aside.
also remove the whole spices and spice powders and keep aside.
making paneer bhurji gravy recipe:
- heat 2 tbsp butter or oil in a pan.
- add the whole spices - 1 inch cinnamon, 3 cloves, 2 green cardamoms, 5 to 6 black peppercorns and 2 small tej patta or 1 medium to large tej patta. saute till the spices become aromatic.
- then add 1/2 cup finely chopped onion. stir very well.
- saute the onions till light golden.
- add the chopped green chilies and 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste.
- saute till the aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- now add 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes. stir very well.
- saute till the tomatoes soften and you see oil releasing from the sides of the masala.
- add 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and 1/4 tsp garam masala powder.
- stir the ground spices well.
- keep the flame to its lowest, and now add 3 tbsp fresh curd/yogurt.
- as soon as you add curd, stir quickly and briskly.
- then add 1/2 cup water and stir.
- add 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. stir.
- bring the curry or gravy to a simmer.
- then add the crumbled paneer. also add salt.
- stir very well and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes till the paneer is cooked.
- switch off and add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
- stir very well and serve paneer bhurji gravy with chapati, rotis, paratha or bread.
substitutes for paneer bhurji gravy recipe:
- 200 to 250 grams paneer - 200 to 250 grams of tofu
- 2 tbsp butter - 2 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp curd/yogurt - skip altogether and add about ¼ to ½ tsp lemon juice. you can also add 3 tbsp buttermilk. or use 3 tbsp cashew yogurt or almond yogurt.
- ½ tsp red chili powder - ½ tsp cayenne pepper.
how to make paneer bhurji gravy recipe:
1. crumble 200 to 250 grams paneer/cottage cheese and keep aside.
2. heat 2 tbsp butter or oil in a pan.
3. add the whole spices – 1 inch cinnamon, 3 cloves, 2 green cardamoms, 5 to 6 black peppercorns and 2 small tej patta or 1 medium to large tej patta. saute till the spices become aromatic.
4. add ½ cup finely chopped onion.
5. stir very well.
6. saute the onions till light golden.
7. add 1 green chili (finely chopped) and 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste.
8. saute till the aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
9. now add ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes.
10. stir very well.
11. saute till the tomatoes soften and you see oil releasing from the sides of the masala.
12. add 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp red chili powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder and ¼ tsp garam masala powder.
13. mix the spice powders very well with the rest of the ingredients.
14. lower the flame and now add 3 tbsp fresh curd/yogurt.
15. as soon as you add curd, stir quickly and briskly till all the curd is incorporated with the rest of the onion-tomato masala.
16. then add ½ cup water and stir.
17. add 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
18. mix and stir again.
19. bring the curry or gravy to a simmer for 1 to 2 minutes on a low to medium flame.
20. then add the crumbled paneer.
21. add salt.
22. stir very well and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes till the paneer is cooked.
23. switch off and add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and 1 tsp ginger julienne.
24. stir very well and serve paneer bhurji gravy with chapati, rotis, paratha or bread.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe