Paneer Bhurji is a popular north indian breakfast recipe made from crumbled paneer. Bhurji means scrambled. So in this dish, the paneer aka cottage cheese is scrambled.
The whole dish is sauted onions-tomatoes with spices to which the crumbled paneer is added. Its a quick recipe which does not take much time to prepare. Best to have paneer bhurji hot with some bread or rolls or pav/indian bread and a cup of hot indian tea. Paneer bhurji can also be served as a side dish.
There are other types of Bhurji recipes that we make in north india like egg bhurji, mutter paneer bhurji and mooli ki bhurji. All these bhurji recipes are quick to make and ideal for breakfast. Egg Bhurji and Paneer Bhurji are quite popular and served in most north indian dhabas (road side eateries).
Whenever i make any paneer recipe like paneer butter masala, shahi paneer, palak paneer, malai kofta or kadai paneer.. i make it a point to use the homemade paneer. You can also check this step by step recipe to make paneer at home.
Paneer Bhurji recipe details below:
- 200 gms paneer, crumbled (cottage cheese)
- 1 medium sized tomato, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilly, finely chopped
- 1 finely chopped ginger
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp chilly powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds (optional)
- salt as required
- 2 tbsp oil, ghee, butter or white butter
- a few coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
- Crumble the paneer and keep aside
- Heat oil or ghee or butter in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds first if you are using them. Once they get fried, add onions. When the onions become transparent, add chopped ginger and chilly.
- Fry the ginger for 15-20 seconds.
- Then add tomatoes and cook till they become soft. You can add a little salt so that the tomatoes get cooked faster.
- Now add all the spice powders.
- Fry for 30 seconds.
- Finally, add the crumbled paneer and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Don't cook the paneer for a long time as they harden and loose their softness.
- Serve paneer bhurji with bread toast. You can also serve paneer bhurji with rotis or as a side dish.
- The paneer bhurji can also be garnished with chopped coriander leaves.