paneer bhurji is a popular north indian breakfast recipe made from crumbled paneer. bhurji means scrambled. so in this dish, the paneer aka cottage cheese is scrambled.
the whole dish is sauted onions-tomatoes with spices to which the crumbled paneer is added. its a quick recipe which does not take much time to prepare. best to have paneer bhurji hot with some bread or rolls or pav/indian bread, rotis or parathas. and a cup of hot indian tea. paneer bhurji can also be served as a side dish.
there are other types of bhurji recipes that we make in north india like egg bhurji, mutter paneer bhurji and mooli ki bhurji. all these bhurji recipes are quick to make and ideal for breakfast. in north india they are often had with rotis or phulkas. egg bhurji and paneer bhurji are quite popular and served in most north indian dhabas (road side eateries).
few other quick paneer recipes in the blog are quick paneer tikka, tawa paneer masala and paneer butter masala. whenever i make any paneer dish at home then i prefer to make paneer at home rather than buying it from outside. you can make paneer at home in stove top or in microwave.
lets start step by step paneer bhurji recipe:
1. crumble the paneer/cottage cheese and keep aside.
2. heat oil or ghee or butter in a pan. add cumin seeds and crackle them.
3. then add onions.
4. when the onions become translucent, add chopped ginger-garlic paste and chili. saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
5. then add tomatoes.
6. cook tomatoes till they become soft. you can add also add a pinch of salt so that the tomatoes get cooked faster.
7. now add all the spice powders. stir and mix well.
8. finally, add the crumbled paneer. stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes
9. don’t cook the paneer for a long time as they harden and loose their softness. lastly add chopped coriander leaves to paneer bhurji and mix.
paneer bhurji recipe below:
- 200 gms paneer, crumbled (cottage cheese)
- 1 medium sized onion/pyaaz, finely chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium sized tomato/tamatar, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chillies/hari mirch, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 small garlic + ½ inch ginger made in a paste in mortar-pestle or 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp red chilly powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1.5 tbsp oil, ghee, butter or white butter
- salt as required
- a few coriander/dhania leaves for garnishing (optional)
- crumble the paneer/cottage cheese and keep aside
- heat oil or ghee or butter in a pan.
- add cumin seeds first if you are using them. once they get browned, add onions. when the onions become translucent, add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chilies.
- saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
- then add tomatoes and cook till they become soft. you can add a pinch of salt so that the tomatoes get cooked faster.
- now add all the dry spice powders - turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala powder.
- stir the spice powders.
- then, add the crumbled paneer and let it cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- don't cook the paneer for a long time as they harden and loose their softness.
- lastly add chopped coriander leaves to paneer bhurji and mix.
- serve paneer bhurji with bread toast. you can also serve paneer bhurji with rotis, plain parathas or as a side dish.