dahi aloo recipe with step by step photos. dahi aloo is yet another light curry which you can make for vrat or religious fasting. dahi aloo is easy to make and a quick dish. all you need are some potatoes and yogurt along with the regular indian spices. on normal days i make this version of dahi aloo recipe in which onions and garlic are added.
the dish has very simple taste and flavors. the kind of food which we have during fasts. you can serve dahi aloo with singhare ki poori, kuttu ki rotis, sabudana thalipeeth, rajgira ki pooris, kuttu ki poori or samvat ke chawal ka pulao.
if you are looking for curry recipes to made for fasting then you can check these recipes of:
if not making for fast, then you can spice it up more and serve with jeera rice or plain steamed basmati rice. also good with phulkas. this recipe has been made in cashew yogurt. if using milk yogurt, then use fresh yogurt and whisk it till smooth.
note – if making this recipe for fasting then don’t add turmeric.
dahi aloo recipe card below:
dahi aloo recipe for navratri fasting
dahi aloo recipe - a light curry made from potatoes and yogurt
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 extra large potato or 2 medium size potatoes (aloo)
- 1 cup dahi (curd or yogurt)
- 1 cup water, add more if required
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi), don't add if making for religious fasting or vrat
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ inch ginger, grated or chopped (adrak)
- ¼ teaspoon dry ginger powder (saunth)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil
- rock salt (sendha namak) as required
how to make recipe?
- first boil the potato. peel and just crumble the potato with your hands. you can also chop if you want.
beat dahi (curd or yogurt) till smooth.
heat ghee or oil. fry the cumin first.
- then add the ginger and fry for some seconds.
- add the crumbled potatoes. saute for 2-3 minutes
- then add all the dry spice powders. stir well and saute for a minute.
add the beaten dahi (curd or yogurt) and stir. add water and stir again. season with salt.
simmer for some minutes till the dahi aloo gravy thickens.
- keep on stirring in between.
once done then garnish dahi aloo gravy with coriander leaves and serve dahi aloo hot.
- if you are not making dahi aloo for navratri fasting or any other fast then you can also add a pinch of asafoetida/hing.
- you can also use cashew yogurt instead of milk yogurt.
how to make dahi aloo recipe:
1. first boil 1 large potato (or 2 medium sized potatoes). i have boiled the potatoes in pressure cooker.
2. once potatoes become warm, then peel them.
3. just crumble the potato with your hands. you can also chop if you want.
4. in a bowl, take 1 cup dahi (curd or yogurt).
5. whisk the yogurt with a wired whisk.
6. whisk till smooth. keep the whisked yogurt aside.
7. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making dahi aloo recipe.
8. in a kadai or pan, heat 1 tablespoon ghee or oil.
9. add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
10. fry till cumin is browned.
11. then add ½ inch grated or finely chopped ginger (adrak).
12. fry for some seconds.
13. then add the crumbled potatoes.
14. saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
15. then add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi), ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder), 1 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf powder), ½ teaspoon garam masala powder and ¼ teaspoon dry ginger powder (saunth). if making for vrat then don’t add turmeric powder.
16. stir well and saute for a minute.
17. add the beaten dahi (curd or yogurt).
18. mix very well.
19. add 1 cup water or as required.
20. stir again.
21. season with salt as required. use rock salt (sendha namak) if making for vrat (fasting).
22. mix well.
23. simmer for 3 to 4 minutes on low flame. stir in between.
24. simmer till the dahi aloo gravy thickens.
25. keep on stirring in between.
26. once done then garnish dahi aloo gravy with coriander leaves.